The Fashions of Stickers

Martin Owens-2
Dear Devs,

I was recently at DevConf Boston, networking and hob-nobbing with the
RedHat crowd that we got to know at the hackfest earlier this year.

One of the interesting things I noticed was how projects are
standardising their stickers on a hexagonal fixed size design to
encourage people to stick each of the project's stickers together into
a grid on their computer lids.

http://hexb.in/

Food for thought if we decide to make user grade sticker packs for
events. Especially if we ever do the promotion packs for people to
attend events with.

Re: The Fashions of Stickers

Eric Roch
There is a list of suppliers on the Hexbin website: http://hexb.in/sticker.html

I agree it’s a cool idea, but only if the cost is equivalent to normal stickers.

Eric
On Aug 29, 2018, 9:50 PM -0500, Ryan Gorley via Inkscape-devel <[hidden email]>, wrote:

[...]

I think changing the size of stikers to 2/3 or half size as the mac
preview is better I think.

Great work CR!

It's a cool idea, but I couldn't find anywhere but Sticker Mule
(https://www.stickermule.com/uses/hexagon-stickers) that printed these.
Anyone know of other sources?

Ryan

On 8/29/18 6:40 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Dear Devs,
>
> I was recently at DevConf Boston, networking and hob-nobbing with the
> RedHat crowd that we got to know at the hackfest earlier this year.
>
> One of the interesting things I noticed was how projects are
> standardising their stickers on a hexagonal fixed size design to
> encourage people to stick each of the project's stickers together
> into
> a grid on their computer lids.
>
> http://hexb.in/
>
> Food for thought if we decide to make user grade sticker packs for
> events. Especially if we ever do the promotion packs for people to
> attend events with.

Re: The Fashions of Stickers

The printer we use for Kielux cuts stickers in any shape you want.

I just played with some examples on their website.

400 silver foil 3x3cm stickers (with free shape inside) cost 20 € (5
Euro-Cent per piece).
https://www.wir-machen-druck.de/aufkleber-auf-silberfolie-40-farbig-bedruckt-in-freiform-alle-stanzformen-moeglich.html

400 on weather-proof white vinyl and a bit larger with 4x4cm would be
40€ (10 Euro-Cent per piece)
(https://www.wir-machen-druck.de/hochwertige-aufkleber-in-freiform-alle-stanzformen-moeglich.html).

They are quite cheap and usually have good quality (except for the
T-Shirt fabric, which can be a bit scratchy, when you select the
cheapest one... we can sell shirts for 10€, though. If you only order 1,
it's just 12.40 €!).

Customer service seems to have improved lately. And they send everything
to an address of your choice, and even put your address as a sender on
it, if you want to.

I haven't tried ordering anything with custom shapes that requires
cutting lines to be added to the template yet, though.

Only issue is the website is in German :) (and horrible to use)

Maren

Am 30.08.2018 um 06:35 schrieb Eric Roch:

> There is a list of suppliers on the Hexbin
> website: http://hexb.in/sticker.html
>
> I agree it’s a cool idea, but only if the cost is equivalent to normal
> stickers.
>
> Eric
> On Aug 29, 2018, 9:50 PM -0500, Ryan Gorley via Inkscape-devel
> <[hidden email]>, wrote:
>>
>> It's a cool idea, but I couldn't find anywhere but Sticker Mule
>> (https://www.stickermule.com/uses/hexagon-stickers) that printed
>> these. Anyone know of other sources?
>>
>> Ryan

>>> Dear Devs,
>>>
>>> I was recently at DevConf Boston, networking and hob-nobbing with the
>>> RedHat crowd that we got to know at the hackfest earlier this year.
>>>
>>> One of the interesting things I noticed was how projects are
>>> standardising their stickers on a hexagonal fixed size design to
>>> encourage people to stick each of the project's stickers together into
>>> a grid on their computer lids.
>>>
>>> http://hexb.in/
>>>
>>> Food for thought if we decide to make user grade sticker packs for
>>> events. Especially if we ever do the promotion packs for people to
>>> attend events with.
>>>
>>> Best Regards, Martin Owens

Re: The Fashions of Stickers

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 08:40:04PM -0400, [hidden email] wrote:

> Dear Devs,
>
> I was recently at DevConf Boston, networking and hob-nobbing with the
> RedHat crowd that we got to know at the hackfest earlier this year.
>
> One of the interesting things I noticed was how projects are
> standardising their stickers on a hexagonal fixed size design to
> encourage people to stick each of the project's stickers together into
> a grid on their computer lids.
>
> http://hexb.in/
>
> Food for thought if we decide to make user grade sticker packs for
> events. Especially if we ever do the promotion packs for people to
> attend events with.

I like how the camp.js embraces the aesthetic.  The ones that are just
their logo put onto a hex are a bit meh.  Looking forward to what
Inkscapers come up with.  :-)

Re: The Fashions of Stickers

Victor Westmann
Silly question... do we have an inkscape logo in this fashion?

No? Let the proposals begin!!

Thanks,

--Victor Westmann