The one Inkscape frustration affecting me

The one Inkscape frustration affecting me

Steve Litt
Hi all,

Inkscape is one of the best pieces of software I use. It's sometimes
hard to use, but the concept of drawing is very complex, so there's
only so simple Inkscape can be made.

The one Inkscape thing that gets me is switching between having the
stroke grow or shrink with the object, when the object is grown or
shrunk, as opposed to having the stroke width stay constant.

I've given up and just scale rectangles in rectangle mode, or if I need
to grow something big (perhaps because it's in a group), I just have to
manually change the stroke width EDT (Every Darn Time).

I know there's a toggle for this somewhere, but I can't find it in the
docs or in experimentation. Wherever this toggle is, it should be
shouted from the rooftops in the Inkscape documentation, and also made
very obvious and prominent in the menu system, which is the best route
toward discovery.

By the way, help->Inkscape_Manual fails to bring up a web page on my
system. It would be great if you had a copy-and-pasteable (and perhaps
clickable) URL of the manual on the Help->About window.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2018 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz

Re: The one Inkscape frustration affecting me

Riccardo Bernardini
If you look in the top bar, there are 4 small buttons (see screenshot) that control "invariance" of several attributes (line width, gradient, I do not remember the other two) with resspect to scaling

--
Riccardo Bernardini
Tel          : +39-0432-55-8271

Screenshot from 2018-09-01 10-56-08.png (3K) Download Attachment

Re: The one Inkscape frustration affecting me

For the non-opening web browser:
What's your Inkscape version (see Help > About and copy paste the
complete version info) and operating system, Steve?

For scaling strokes:
The button row for these types actions (there are 4 similar buttons) is
in the tool controls bar for the selection tool, at the far right.

The logic behind this is:
Switch to selection tool, then make adjustments for the tool's settings,
just like you would for any other tool.

Kind Regards,
 Maren

Am 01.09.2018 um 06:03 schrieb Steve Litt:

> Hi all,
>
> Inkscape is one of the best pieces of software I use. It's sometimes
> hard to use, but the concept of drawing is very complex, so there's
> only so simple Inkscape can be made.
>
> The one Inkscape thing that gets me is switching between having the
> stroke grow or shrink with the object, when the object is grown or
> shrunk, as opposed to having the stroke width stay constant.
>
> I've given up and just scale rectangles in rectangle mode, or if I need
> to grow something big (perhaps because it's in a group), I just have to
> manually change the stroke width EDT (Every Darn Time).
>
> I know there's a toggle for this somewhere, but I can't find it in the
> docs or in experimentation. Wherever this toggle is, it should be
> shouted from the rooftops in the Inkscape documentation, and also made
> very obvious and prominent in the menu system, which is the best route
> toward discovery.
>
> By the way, help->Inkscape_Manual fails to bring up a web page on my
> system. It would be great if you had a copy-and-pasteable (and perhaps
> clickable) URL of the manual on the Help->About window.
>
> Thanks,
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> September 2018 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz

Re: The one Inkscape frustration affecting me

Hi Steve. These are the toggle buttons which control what is scaled along with the shape you are resizing:

Note that these buttons only appear when you have Select and Transform tool active.
Toggle them on and off to control scaling of line witdh, corner rounding, gradient, and pattern, respectively.

Hope it helps. :)
-C

On Sat, Sep 1, 2018 at 5:04 AM Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dwain Alford
hi steve,
here's a review on "the book of inkscape, the definitive guide to the free graphics editor" by dmitry kirsanov. he is a core inkscape developer, author and graphic designer, specializing in website and logo design.  https://wordpress.com/post/wdalford.wordpress.com/5

cheers,
dwain

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 11:03 PM, Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Maren Hachmann
Am 03.09.2018 um 19:13 schrieb Dwain Alford:
> hi steve,
> here's a review on "the book of inkscape, the definitive guide to the
> free graphics editor" by dmitry kirsanov. he is a core inkscape
> developer, author and graphic designer, specializing in website and logo
> design.  https://wordpress.com/post/wdalford.wordpress.com/5

Dwain, thanks for suggesting possible ways to learn about Inkscape!

There aren't many recent books about Inkscape, unfortunately, and this
one (from 2009) is no exception in this.

I think, though, a lot probably still works the same, even if the book
is 9 years old by now...

If you need current info that is directed at Inkscape beginners, try the
free online in-progress book
http://write.flossmanuals.net/start-with-inkscape/_draft/_v/2.9/why-use-inkscape/
.

Or the tutorials that come with Inkscape (Help > Tutorials) are a good
start too, as well as Brynn's collection of tutorials here:
https://forum.inkscapecommunity.com/index.php

Maren

> cheers,
> dwain
>
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 11:03 PM, Steve Litt <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     Inkscape is one of the best pieces of software I use. It's sometimes
>     hard to use, but the concept of drawing is very complex, so there's
>     only so simple Inkscape can be made.
>
>     The one Inkscape thing that gets me is switching between having the
>     stroke grow or shrink with the object, when the object is grown or
>     shrunk, as opposed to having the stroke width stay constant.
>
>     I've given up and just scale rectangles in rectangle mode, or if I need
>     to grow something big (perhaps because it's in a group), I just have to
>     manually change the stroke width EDT (Every Darn Time).
>
>     I know there's a toggle for this somewhere, but I can't find it in the
>     docs or in experimentation. Wherever this toggle is, it should be
>     shouted from the rooftops in the Inkscape documentation, and also made
>     very obvious and prominent in the menu system, which is the best route
>     toward discovery.
>
>     By the way, help->Inkscape_Manual fails to bring up a web page on my
>     system. It would be great if you had a copy-and-pasteable (and perhaps
>     clickable) URL of the manual on the Help->About window.
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     SteveT
>
>     Steve Litt
>     September 2018 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
>     http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz
>     <http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz>

Re: The one Inkscape frustration affecting me

PipingDesignCentral .
"If you need current info that is directed at Inkscape beginners, try the

That site still refers to the old Trace Bitmap dialog box.

Whatever happened to the Edge Detection option, anyway?

Paul

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 1:43 PM Maren Hachmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 03.09.2018 um 19:13 schrieb Dwain Alford:
> hi steve,
> here's a review on "the book of inkscape, the definitive guide to the
> free graphics editor" by dmitry kirsanov. he is a core inkscape
> developer, author and graphic designer, specializing in website and logo
> design.  https://wordpress.com/post/wdalford.wordpress.com/5

Dwain, thanks for suggesting possible ways to learn about Inkscape!

There aren't many recent books about Inkscape, unfortunately, and this
one (from 2009) is no exception in this.

I think, though, a lot probably still works the same, even if the book
is 9 years old by now...

If you need current info that is directed at Inkscape beginners, try the
free online in-progress book
http://write.flossmanuals.net/start-with-inkscape/_draft/_v/2.9/why-use-inkscape/
.

Or the tutorials that come with Inkscape (Help > Tutorials) are a good
start too, as well as Brynn's collection of tutorials here:
https://forum.inkscapecommunity.com/index.php

Maren

> cheers,
> dwain
>
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 11:03 PM, Steve Litt <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     Inkscape is one of the best pieces of software I use. It's sometimes
>     hard to use, but the concept of drawing is very complex, so there's
>     only so simple Inkscape can be made.
>
>     The one Inkscape thing that gets me is switching between having the
>     stroke grow or shrink with the object, when the object is grown or
>     shrunk, as opposed to having the stroke width stay constant.
>
>     I've given up and just scale rectangles in rectangle mode, or if I need
>     to grow something big (perhaps because it's in a group), I just have to
>     manually change the stroke width EDT (Every Darn Time).
>
>     I know there's a toggle for this somewhere, but I can't find it in the
>     docs or in experimentation. Wherever this toggle is, it should be
>     shouted from the rooftops in the Inkscape documentation, and also made
>     very obvious and prominent in the menu system, which is the best route
>     toward discovery.
>
>     By the way, help->Inkscape_Manual fails to bring up a web page on my
>     system. It would be great if you had a copy-and-pasteable (and perhaps
>     clickable) URL of the manual on the Help->About window.
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     SteveT
>
>     Steve Litt
>     September 2018 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
>     http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz
>     <http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz>

Re: The one Inkscape frustration affecting me

Maren Hachmann
Hi Paul,

the Trace bitmap dialog options haven't changed since I made that
screenshot (here:
http://write.flossmanuals.net/start-with-inkscape/_draft/_v/2.9/tracing-an-image/),
which is from Inkscape 0.92.2. Edge detection is also still available.

Can you check if you've accidentally selected the newer 'Trace Pixelart'
dialog?

Or can you make a screenshot of what you mean with the changes?

Maren

Am 03.09.2018 um 23:57 schrieb PipingDesignCentral:

> [...]
>     Business
>     >     http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz
>     >     <http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz>
>     >
>     >
>     >     [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     >     <mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>     >     https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-user
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-user
>     >

Re: The one Inkscape frustration affecting me

Hi Maren,

I'm not sure how I could select a different dialog.

I'm on macOS High Sierra, maybe that's the problem.

Thanks,

Paul

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 6:59 PM Maren Hachmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>     Business
>     >     http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz
>     >     <http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz>
>     >
>     >
>     >     [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     >     <mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>     >     https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-user
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-user
>     >

Re: The one Inkscape frustration affecting me

ah, I see. So, the dialog in your screenshot is the 'Trace Pixel Art'
dialog.

Your Inkscape does not have a 'Trace Bitmap' dialog.

I take it you followed doctormo's advice from a previous email on this
list and installed the inofficial version from github?

That version does not contain Trace Bitmap. Also, the paint bucket tool
is missing in it.

If you need that functionality and are okay with having a rougher time
with installation, you need to use the official version from our
website, and closely follow the instructions that are printed on this page:

https://inkscape.org/de/release/0.92.2/mac-os-x/107/dmg/

For any other issues with the official version (e.g. with keyboard
shortcuts), the FAQ is a good resource:
https://inkscape.org/en/learn/faq/#mac-os-x-specific-issues

Kind Regards,
 Maren

Am 04.09.2018 um 01:20 schrieb PipingDesignCentral:

> [...]
>     >     <mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>     >     > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-user
>     >     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >     [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     >     <mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>     >     https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-user
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-user
>     >

Re: The one Inkscape frustration affecting me

I own the "Book of Inkscape." It's great and it's thorough.

This book is not, however, an antidote to poor discoverability. I
looked all over the menu system. I looked all over the Stroke Paint and
Stroke Style panels of the Fill and Stroke menu. I right clicked and
double clicked the rectangle tool, the ellipse tool, and the selection
tool. No reference to anything resembling proportional stroke showed
up. This really needs to be SCREAMED from the documentation, it needs
to be in the menu system, reference to it should be made on the stroke
with and strok style tabs of the fill and stroke dialog box.

So that I'll never forget it again, I've written it here:

http://troubleshooters.com/linux/quickhacks.htm#propstrokes

SteveT

On Mon, 3 Sep 2018 12:13:10 -0500
Dwain Alford <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi steve,
> here's a review on "the book of inkscape, the definitive guide to the
> free graphics editor" by dmitry kirsanov. he is a core inkscape
> developer, author and graphic designer, specializing in website and
> logo design. https://wordpress.com/post/wdalford.wordpress.com/5
>
> cheers,
> dwain
>
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 11:03 PM, Steve Litt
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Inkscape is one of the best pieces of software I use. It's sometimes
> > hard to use, but the concept of drawing is very complex, so there's
> > only so simple Inkscape can be made.
> >
> > The one Inkscape thing that gets me is switching between having the
> > stroke grow or shrink with the object, when the object is grown or
> > shrunk, as opposed to having the stroke width stay constant.
> >
> > I've given up and just scale rectangles in rectangle mode, or if I
> > need to grow something big (perhaps because it's in a group), I
> > just have to manually change the stroke width EDT (Every Darn Time).
> >
> > I know there's a toggle for this somewhere, but I can't find it in
> > the docs or in experimentation. Wherever this toggle is, it should
> > be shouted from the rooftops in the Inkscape documentation, and
> > also made very obvious and prominent in the menu system, which is
> > the best route toward discovery.
> >
> > By the way, help->Inkscape_Manual fails to bring up a web page on my
> > system. It would be great if you had a copy-and-pasteable (and
> > perhaps clickable) URL of the manual on the Help->About window.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > SteveT
> >
> > Steve Litt
> > September 2018 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own
> > Business http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz

Re: The one Inkscape frustration affecting me

PipingDesignCentral .
Ah, yes! I'd done that to avoid XQuartz I think, and then forgot since I don't use Inkscape very often. I'll install Inkscape on a Windows machine I recently purchased.

Thank you.

Paul

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 7:51 PM Maren Hachmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>     >     <mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>     >     > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-user
>     >     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >     [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     >     <mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>     >     https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-user
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-user
>     >

Re: The one Inkscape frustration affecting me

Yes, if you have that option, it's currently the more comfortable
choice, as far as I understand the issues on Mac (I'm not a Mac user
myself).

But really, the project needs someone knowledgeable to invest time into
creating a good build for Mac.

You're welcome, Paul!

Maren