Theme change in Inkscape devel

Jabier Arraiza
Hi all here are a short video about the new devel feature of change
theming.

https://archive.org/details/inkscapeTheme

Enjoy

Re: [Inkscape-user] Theme change in Inkscape devel

Jabier Arraiza
Hi Victor thanks for the feedback!

Is 1.0 only code. Need wait :(

Regards.

On Mon, 2018-08-06 at 17:08 -0700, Victor Westmann wrote:

> Hi Jabier, this is so fricking cool. Thank you sooo much for this.
> Will this be available in 0.92.4 or 1.0 release?
>
> Thanks,
>
> On Mon, Aug 6, 2018, 4:35 PM Jabier Arraiza, <[hidden email]
> s> wrote:
> > Hi all here are a short video about the new devel feature of change
> > theming.
> >
> > https://archive.org/details/inkscapeTheme
> >
> > Enjoy------------------------------------------------------------

Re: [Inkscape-user] Theme change in Inkscape devel

Victor Westmann
Hi Jabier,

No worries! I bet it will be a super popular feature by then.

Thank you for introducing this feature into the application. :)

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018, 5:26 PM Jabier Arraiza, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Victor thanks for the feedback!

Is 1.0 only code. Need wait :(

Regards.

On Mon, 2018-08-06 at 17:08 -0700, Victor Westmann wrote:
> Hi Jabier, this is so fricking cool. Thank you sooo much for this.
> Will this be available in 0.92.4 or 1.0 release?
>
> Thanks,
>
> On Mon, Aug 6, 2018, 4:35 PM Jabier Arraiza, <[hidden email]
> s> wrote:
> > Hi all here are a short video about the new devel feature of change
> > theming.
> >
> > https://archive.org/details/inkscapeTheme
> >
> > Enjoy------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Theme change in Inkscape devel

Christoffer Holmstedt
Hi all here are a short video about the new devel feature of change
theming.

https://archive.org/details/inkscapeTheme

Enjoy

Looks good. If a restart is required when icons are reloaded maybe a dialog to warn/confirm restart is required?

Best regards
--
Christoffer Holmstedt

Re: Theme change in Inkscape devel

Jabier Arraiza
Is not a restart, store all documents as currently are.

Regards, Jabier.

Great point I add a test to the button. @Maren: Any idea?

On Tue, 2018-08-07 at 20:02 +0200, Christoffer Holmstedt wrote:

> Ok, maybe a warning to explain that all windows will be closed and
> opened again. I'm always scared when I see an application do
> something I don't expect. With "reload" I expect just the icons to be
> reloaded not the entire application.

> > Is not a restart, store all documents as currently are.
> >
> > Regards, Jabier.

Maren Hachmann
Am 09.08.2018 um 00:08 schrieb Jabier Arraiza:
> Great point I add a test to the button. @Maren: Any idea?

- Do you mean to add a text next to the button?
Maybe then write the tooltip we already have next to the button?

Or do you mean to change the button text? Then, perhaps, it could be
'Reload interface to update icons' (but that's awfully long, esp. if
translated to German).

Christoffer, the button tooltip says:
'Apply icon changes (may take a few seconds)'

What did you have in mind?

Maren

> On Tue, 2018-08-07 at 20:02 +0200, Christoffer Holmstedt wrote:
>> Ok, maybe a warning to explain that all windows will be closed and
>> opened again. I'm always scared when I see an application do
>> something I don't expect. With "reload" I expect just the icons to be
>> reloaded not the entire application.

>>> Is not a restart, store all documents as currently are.
>>>
>>> Regards, Jabier.

I just looked at the video shared by Jabier at first, didn't read tooltip until now and was scared when I saw that all windows closed down after pressing the reload icons button. When that happens it usually something bad. To manage expectation better I would add text either right below subtitle "Display icons, press reload icons or restart to apply" or above/to the right of the reload icons button. See attached image as an example, exact wording can be tweaked, red text color is just my emphasis for this discussion final text in the application should be black but perhaps still italic.

--
Christoffer Holmstedt

warning_reload_icons.png (86K) Download Attachment

Seems ok to me, not sure about the red. @Maren seems ok to you?

> Am 09.08.2018 um 00:08 schrieb Jabier Arraiza:
> > Great point I add a test to the button. @Maren: Any idea?
>
> - Do you mean to add a text next to the button?
> Maybe then write the tooltip we already have next to the button?
>
> Or do you mean to change the button text? Then, perhaps, it could be
> 'Reload interface to update icons' (but that's awfully long, esp. if
> translated to German).
>
> Christoffer, the button tooltip says:
> 'Apply icon changes (may take a few seconds)'
>
> What did you have in mind?
>
> Maren

I just looked at the video shared by Jabier at first, didn't read
tooltip
until now and was scared when I saw that all windows closed down after
pressing the reload icons button. When that happens it usually
something
bad. To manage expectation better I would add text either right below
subtitle "Display icons, press reload icons or restart to apply" or
above/to the right of the reload icons button. See attached image as an
example, exact wording can be tweaked, red text color is just my
emphasis
for this discussion final text in the application should be black but
perhaps still italic.

Re: Theme change in Inkscape devel

Maren Hachmann
I wouldn't make it red, but the text is fine.
Is it possible to also make it a little bit smaller than the standard
text, as it is in Christoffer's draft?

Maren

Am 10.08.2018 um 14:12 schrieb Jabier Arraiza:

> Seems ok to me, not sure about the red. @Maren seems ok to you?

Hope soon merged.
https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/merge_requests/310

Thanks for the feedback!

On Fri, 2018-08-10 at 13:35 +0200, Christoffer Holmstedt wrote:

> > Am 09.08.2018 um 00:08 schrieb Jabier Arraiza:
> > > Great point I add a test to the button. @Maren: Any idea?
> >
> > - Do you mean to add a text next to the button?
> > Maybe then write the tooltip we already have next to the button?
> >
> > Or do you mean to change the button text? Then, perhaps, it could
> > be
> > 'Reload interface to update icons' (but that's awfully long, esp.
> > if
> > translated to German).
> >
> > Christoffer, the button tooltip says:
> > 'Apply icon changes (may take a few seconds)'
> >
> > What did you have in mind?
> >
> > Maren
> >

> I just looked at the video shared by Jabier at first, didn't read
> tooltip until now and was scared when I saw that all windows closed
> down after pressing the reload icons button. When that happens it
> usually something bad. To manage expectation better I would add text
> either right below subtitle "Display icons, press reload icons or
> restart to apply" or above/to the right of the reload icons button.
> See attached image as an example, exact wording can be tweaked, red
> text color is just my emphasis for this discussion final text in the
> application should be black but perhaps still italic.

Screenshot from 2018-08-10 23-39-14.png (173K) Download Attachment