Quantcast

Tiled clone to create radial symmetry

Dave M G
Inkscape Users,

I am relatively new to Inkscape, and I'm trying to learn how to use
Inkscape's tiled clone feature.

What I would like to do is take an upside down triangle that is tall and
skinny, and rotate it around it's bottom point so as to create a radial
pattern. Sort of like the rising sun flag of old Japan.

So far I have figured out that I can set the number of columns to 15 and
rotate them 22.5 degrees to get a total of 16 copies, including the
original. That produces the right number of copies at the right angle.

But, I can not get them positioned right. The settings of the "Shift"
tab completely elude me. I thought if I experimented enough I would
eventually figure out what they are doing and dial in on the right settings.

No such luck. Each experimental setting scatters the triangles all over
the screen in what might as well be random dispersals for all I can tell.

How do I get each triangle to have it's bottom point stay at the centre
of the radial pattern?

Thank you for any advice.

--
Dave M G

Re: Tiled clone to create radial symmetry

Tavmjong Bah

Assuming you are using Inkscape v0.46:

Drag the "Rotation Center" to the bottom of the triangle. Check the
"Exclude tile" boxes on the Shift tab. Set the shifts to 0.0%. Make sure
you have selected "P1: simple translations" on the Symmetry tab.

See:

         http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/Tiles-Tricks.html

Tav

On Sat, 2008-09-20 at 21:47 +0900, Dave M G wrote:

> Inkscape Users,
>
> I am relatively new to Inkscape, and I'm trying to learn how to use
> Inkscape's tiled clone feature.
>
> What I would like to do is take an upside down triangle that is tall and
> skinny, and rotate it around it's bottom point so as to create a radial
> pattern. Sort of like the rising sun flag of old Japan.
>
> So far I have figured out that I can set the number of columns to 15 and
> rotate them 22.5 degrees to get a total of 16 copies, including the
> original. That produces the right number of copies at the right angle.
>
> But, I can not get them positioned right. The settings of the "Shift"
> tab completely elude me. I thought if I experimented enough I would
> eventually figure out what they are doing and dial in on the right settings.
>
> No such luck. Each experimental setting scatters the triangles all over
> the screen in what might as well be random dispersals for all I can tell.
>
> How do I get each triangle to have it's bottom point stay at the centre
> of the radial pattern?
>
> Thank you for any advice.

Re: Tiled clone to create radial symmetry [SOLVED]

Dave M G
Tavmjong Bah,

Thank you. The rotation centre was the detail I needed.

It's working perfectly now.

--
Dave M G