Quantcast

Tr : SVG to FXG XSL

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Tr : SVG to FXG XSL

Nicolas Dufour-5
Forwarding to the inkscape-devel list.


Hi all,


I'm not a license expert. Could anyone tell Judah if it's possible to dual license (GPL2/Apache) the SVG to FXG extension?
Thanks.
--
Nicolas

Le Jeudi 30 mars 2017 8h52, flex capacitor <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hi Nicolas,

I came across your SVG to FXG stylesheet and I would like to use it for a project but I noticed the license is GNU GPL. From what I understand it may not be compatible with the Apache License I'm using for my software. To prevent any issues  would you grant me a license to use your stylesheet under an Apache License? In any case I will be submitting any modifications of it back to open source.


Best Regards,
Judah Frangipane

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Tr : SVG to FXG XSL

Eduard Braun
Hi Nicolas,

as long as you're the sole author you can add as many licenses as you
want (in which case Judah is free to choose a license when re-using your
code).

If you're not the sole/original author it's not possible as Apache is
less restrictive then GPL (i.e. using Apache on that code would violate
some parts of the GPL license). In that case you'd have to ask all
contributors if they agreed to offer their code contribution under the
new license.

Regards,
Eduard


Am 04.04.2017 um 07:50 schrieb Nicolas Dufour:

> Forwarding to the inkscape-devel list.
>
>
> Hi all,
>
>
> I'm not a license expert. Could anyone tell Judah if it's possible to dual license (GPL2/Apache) the SVG to FXG extension?
> Thanks.
> --
> Nicolas
>
> Le Jeudi 30 mars 2017 8h52, flex capacitor <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hi Nicolas,
>
> I came across your SVG to FXG stylesheet and I would like to use it for a project but I noticed the license is GNU GPL. From what I understand it may not be compatible with the Apache License I'm using for my software. To prevent any issues  would you grant me a license to use your stylesheet under an Apache License? In any case I will be submitting any modifications of it back to open source.
>
>
> Best Regards,
> Judah Frangipane
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> _______________________________________________
> Inkscape-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Tr : SVG to FXG XSL

Martin Owens-2
On Tue, 2017-04-04 at 10:24 +0200, Eduard Braun wrote:
> > I'm not a license expert. Could anyone tell Judah if it's possible
> to dual license (GPL2/Apache) the SVG to FXG extension?
> > Thanks.

It might be better to license it as GPLv2 or GPLv3, since I believe
GPLv3 is compatible with Apache2.

https://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html

Martin,

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Tr : SVG to FXG XSL

Nicolas Dufour-5
In reply to this post by Nicolas Dufour-5

Le Mardi 4 avril 2017 10h25, Eduard Braun <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> as long as you're the sole author you can add as many licenses as you
> want (in which case Judah is free to choose a license when re-using your
> code).

I'm the sole author. So I could indeed choose the license I wish. But I'm not very attached to code ownership in FLOSS project, and consider that my code is owned by the Inkscape project. In that context I need to be sure that dual-licensing it would not hurt the project (e.g. by limiting contributions). Is there any case of dual licensing in the actual code? (A quick grep returned no positive result, but maybe I didn't format it correctly.)

Le Mardi 4 avril 2017 12h36, Martin Owens <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> It might be better to license it as GPLv2 or GPLv3, since I believe
> GPLv3 is compatible with Apache2.
>
> https://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html

Yes, but if I remember correctly we're trying to get rid of the Gimp rulers code because of its GPLv3 license. And apparently GPLv2 and Apache licenses are not compatible (according to http://gplv3.fsf.org/wiki/index.php/Compatible_licenses#GPLv2-compatible_licenses).

So even if it's possible, would it be acceptable for the Inkscape project to have parts of its code dual licensed with GPLv2 and Apache License v2.
Regards,
--
Nicolas

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Tr : SVG to FXG XSL

Eduard Braun
Am 04.04.2017 um 13:27 schrieb Nicolas Dufour:
> I'm the sole author. So I could indeed choose the license I wish. But I'm not very attached to code ownership in FLOSS project, and consider that my code is owned by the Inkscape project. In that context I need to be sure that dual-licensing it would not hurt the project (e.g. by limiting contributions). Is there any case of dual licensing in the actual code? (A quick grep returned no positive result, but maybe I didn't format it correctly.)

This won't cause any issues. The licenses exist in parallel and re-users
can use the license which best suits their need. (They obviously can't
mix licenses, though).
If the code was dual-licensed as GPLv2 and later or Apache license it
can be included in Inkscape code following the terms of GPLv2 and later
and Judah can use it under the terms of the Apache license.


Am 04.04.2017 um 12:36 schrieb Martin Owens:
> It might be better to license it as GPLv2 or GPLv3, since I believe
> GPLv3 is compatible with Apache2.
>
> https://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html
>
> Martin,

That won't work. You can use code licensed under Apache license in GPLv3
projects, but not the other way round.
Also Inkscape aims to be GPLv2+ as Nicolas mentioned. We can therefore
not include GPLv3 code (as GPLv3 is more restrictive then GPLv2).

Regards,
Eduard

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Tr : SVG to FXG XSL

Martin Owens-2

> That won't work. You can use code licensed under Apache license in
> GPLv3 
> projects, but not the other way round.
> Also Inkscape aims to be GPLv2+ as Nicolas mentioned. We can
> therefore 
> not include GPLv3 code (as GPLv3 is more restrictive then GPLv2).

We /can/ include GPLv3 code, but not remain GPLv2+ only. there's a
whole section on the SFLC website about keeping multiple licenses
within the same project.

Martin,

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Tr : SVG to FXG XSL

Eduard Braun
Hi Martin,

> We /can/ include GPLv3 code, but not remain GPLv2+ only. there's a
> whole section on the SFLC website about keeping multiple licenses
> within the same project.

Yeah, but why all the effort of getting approval from authors of GPL3
licensed files in Inkscape's codebase to publish them as GPLv2+ instead
if we now start to include GPLv3 code again?

Also this was what you told me when I wanted to include Scour (which
uses the Apache license and would actually have been allowed in a GPLv3
(not v2 though) project:

Am 27.11.2015 um 03:39 schrieb Martin Owens:
> I do worry about the licensing issue a bit. It's not too much of a
> problem for our windows or mac builds, but our debian package is single
> licensed and they tend not liking mixed packages. i.e. it should be in
> it's own repository and package.


Either way: It won't help solve the initial problem (Neither GPLv2 nor
GPLv3 can be included in Apache code), but I don't think there is any
problem as long as Nicolas is fine with dual-licensing... As I wrote
before: I doesn't have any downsides I'm aware of.

Regards
Eduard

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Tr : SVG to FXG XSL

Martin Owens-2
On Tue, 2017-04-04 at 15:05 +0200, Eduard Braun wrote:
> Yeah, but why all the effort of getting approval from authors of
> GPL3 licensed files in Inkscape's codebase to publish them as GPLv2+
> instead if we now start to include GPLv3 code again?

I should make the distinction between policy and legality. It's current
policy to make things GPLv2+, but you'll notice we still (I think) have
a couple of GPLv3 bits from gimp and we're not working on resolving.

> Also this was what you told me when I wanted to include Scour (which 
> uses the Apache license and would actually have been allowed in a
> GPLv3 (not v2 though) project.

Yes, because having incompatible licenses does cause issue. Debian can
choose to distribute Inkscape under GPLv3, in fact they could choose to
do so without a single GPLv3 because the license allows it.

The advantage I was trying to communicate is that a GPLv2+ codebase
could be moved to GPLv3 by /anyone/ not just the author, while an
Apache2 licensed codebase could be encapsulated by anyone into a GPLv3
license. Thus allowing them to be combined into a single project under
GPLv3 without having to ask any original authors.

Best Regards, Martin Owens

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Loading...