Quantcast

Trace and Script dialogs

Bryce Harrington
Bob,

I have a few questions on a couple dialogs...

I notice that "verbs.h" is included in the headers.  I see this is for
the 'verb_num' argument that's been added to the Dialog constructor.  I
looked in Dialog::Dialog() but it doesn't appear to get used in that
function for anything.  It would be nice if we didn't include verbs.h in
the dialog headers, because verbs.h changes often and would force the
dialogs to be recompiled excessively.  What is the verb_num argument
for?

Regarding naming, Jizzbug and I felt that the new dialogs should not
have 'dialog' in their title, as it's redundant since they're in the
Inkscape::UI::Dialog namespace already.  Would it be possible to rename
TraceDialog to Trace, and ScriptDialog to Script?

In TraceDialog, I notice you have a TraceDialogImpl class; it turns out
that due to DialogManager, the dialogs are encapsulated well enough that
we really don't need to use the Impl trick.

Anyway, nice to see all the new dialogs in gtkmm.  :-)

Re: Trace and Script dialogs

Bob Jamison-2
Bryce Harrington wrote:

>Bob,
>
>I have a few questions on a couple dialogs...
>
>I notice that "verbs.h" is included in the headers.  I see this is for
>the 'verb_num' argument that's been added to the Dialog constructor.  I
>looked in Dialog::Dialog() but it doesn't appear to get used in that
>function for anything.  It would be nice if we didn't include verbs.h in
>the dialog headers, because verbs.h changes often and would force the
>dialogs to be recompiled excessively.  What is the verb_num argument
>for?

I have no idea. I think that someone added it later. Feel free to take it
out if there is no visible use for it.

>Regarding naming, Jizzbug and I felt that the new dialogs should not
>have 'dialog' in their title, as it's redundant since they're in the
>Inkscape::UI::Dialog namespace already.  Would it be possible to rename
>TraceDialog to Trace, and ScriptDialog to Script?

This was in order to differentiate the dialog from the object it is
controlling. There is an
Inkscape::Trace::Trace class that is used by the TraceDialog, and an
Script object
controlled by the script dialog. But now I guess that the namespaces are
good enough.

>In TraceDialog, I notice you have a TraceDialogImpl class; it turns out
>that due to DialogManager, the dialogs are encapsulated well enough that
>we really don't need to use the Impl trick.

The intention of this separation of interface/impl was to allow external
code to use the interface
without needing to link to everything in the Impl, thus avoiding the
cascading-dependency
problem. That would cause an external plugin that wanted to use them to
link to a huge
amount of unnecessary code, making plugins much too large. However,
XPath (still in steady
progress, I swear) will take care of this.

Bob