Transform document create a transform to root layers

Transform document create a transform to root layers

Jabier Arraiza
Hi all.

When we add a transform to a document the root layers become
transformed.

I realy dont know why this transforms, is a unnecesary feature
(basicaly the transform invert the document transform in the Y axis)

Sometimes a user want one direction and sometimes other, usualy is
ignored because reposition of draw.

So in my point of view is better remove this "hidden" transform.

To put one place I find today this boring thing:
* I do a mockup for a web
* Copy a icon in it to a new doc
* Resize document to s ex: 32x32px.
* Move the icon to the center
* Work on it big time
* Going to publish but problems because your container layer has a
transform ex: in Y=200.22414234
* Preview the file in browser. contours are not aligned to pixel even
with PixelSnap extension
* After sometimes maybe have look and find the way:
1.- remove layer transform
2.- move the nodes to final position with node tool (cross fingers is
not a group, if is a group, deep ungroop and move all nodes (loose
group nestings))
3.- apply pixelsnap or rounder.

Any other has the same problem?
Whats the comunity opinion to remove this transform?

Regards, Jabier.

Re: Transform document create a transform to root layers

Tavmjong Bah
On Wed, 2018-06-27 at 00:30 +0200, Jabier Arraiza wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> When we add a transform to a document the root layers become
> transformed.
>
> I realy dont know why this transforms, is a unnecesary feature
> (basicaly the transform invert the document transform in the Y axis)

This is probably due to our inverted coordinate system. We should
really get that fixed!

> Sometimes a user want one direction and sometimes other, usualy is
> ignored because reposition of draw.
>
> So in my point of view is better remove this "hidden" transform.
>
> To put one place I find today this boring thing:
> * I do a mockup for a web
> * Copy a icon in it to a new doc
> * Resize document to s ex: 32x32px.
> * Move the icon to the center
> * Work on it big time
> * Going to publish but problems because your container layer has a
> transform ex: in Y=200.22414234
> * Preview the file in browser. contours are not aligned to pixel even
> with PixelSnap extension
> * After sometimes maybe have look and find the way:
> 1.- remove layer transform
> 2.- move the nodes to final position with node tool (cross fingers is
> not a group, if is a group, deep ungroop and move all nodes (loose
> group nestings))
> 3.- apply pixelsnap or rounder.
>
> Any other has the same problem?
> Whats the comunity opinion to remove this transform?
>
> Regards, Jabier.

Re: Transform document create a transform to root layers

Jabier Arraiza

Seems the problem for https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1748759

Tav: Think is ok fix the transform previusly to solve the inverted
coordinate system?

On Wed, 2018-06-27 at 00:30 +0200, Jabier Arraiza wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> When we add a transform to a document the root layers become
> transformed.
>
> I realy dont know why this transforms, is a unnecesary feature
> (basicaly the transform invert the document transform in the Y axis)

This is probably due to our inverted coordinate system. We should
really get that fixed!

> Sometimes a user want one direction and sometimes other, usualy is
> ignored because reposition of draw.
>
> So in my point of view is better remove this "hidden" transform.
>
> To put one place I find today this boring thing:
> * I do a mockup for a web
> * Copy a icon in it to a new doc
> * Resize document to s ex: 32x32px.
> * Move the icon to the center
> * Work on it big time
> * Going to publish but problems because your container layer has a
> transform ex: in Y=200.22414234
> * Preview the file in browser. contours are not aligned to pixel even
> with PixelSnap extension
> * After sometimes maybe have look and find the way:
> 1.- remove layer transform
> 2.- move the nodes to final position with node tool (cross fingers is
> not a group, if is a group, deep ungroop and move all nodes (loose
> group nestings))
> 3.- apply pixelsnap or rounder.
>
> Any other has the same problem?
> Whats the comunity opinion to remove this transform?
>
> Regards, Jabier.

Re: Transform document create a transform to root layers

Eduard Braun

Am 27.06.2018 um 17:05 schrieb Jabier Arraiza:
> Seems the problem for https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1748759
Exactly, I remembered filing that bug but did not have the time to reply
yet.

As Tav noted and I also concluded in my report from back then fixing the
inverted y-axis avoids the issue in most cases as that's usually when
the transform is added to the root layer.

Apart from that I'm not sure removing a root level transform is always
what's desired as it requires propagating the transform down to all
children, which has downsides of its own, e.g. rounding errors (that's
also why I initially suggested to do that only if the layer is empty).
Maybe we could introduce a separate action to remove transforms from all
containers and apply them to their respective children? I could imagine
that could come in handy in other scenarios as well and gives the user
the choice wether to apply transforms or not.

Regards,
Patrick

Re: Transform document create a transform to root layers

Inkscape - Dev mailing list
Am 27.06.2018 um 17:25 schrieb Eduard Braun:

> Am 27.06.2018 um 17:05 schrieb Jabier Arraiza:
>> Seems the problem for https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1748759
> Exactly, I remembered filing that bug but did not have the time to
> reply yet.
>
> As Tav noted and I also concluded in my report from back then fixing
> the inverted y-axis avoids the issue in most cases as that's usually
> when the transform is added to the root layer.
>
> Apart from that I'm not sure removing a root level transform is always
> what's desired as it requires propagating the transform down to all
> children, which has downsides of its own, e.g. rounding errors (that's
> also why I initially suggested to do that only if the layer is empty).
> Maybe we could introduce a separate action to remove transforms from
> all containers and apply them to their respective children? I could
> imagine that could come in handy in other scenarios as well and gives
> the user the choice wether to apply transforms or not.

- Lots of people have been wanting to easily apply transforms, someone
even made an extension for it:
https://github.com/Klowner/inkscape-applytransforms

It's usually people from the makers crowd who ask about it on the forums.

Maren

> Regards,
> Patrick

Re: Transform document create a transform to root layers

Hi all.

To fix the problem while we fix the invert coordinated system we can
remove this if:
https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/blob/master/src/ui/widget/page-sizer.cpp#L528

I think the features it implement are low important than the wrongs.

Regards.