Quantcast

Translations and Shortcuts with ALT+something

Translations and Shortcuts with ALT+something

Adib Taraben-2
Translations and Shortcuts with ALT+something

Hello,

there is this shortcut for ie. ALT+D to get the clone.

But ALT+D ist also in the Menu the mostleft item <File> wich is in German <Datei>.

There are two possibilities:
1. change the shortcut for the function in the translated language
2. change the translation of the menu iten so it becomes an other shortcut

but
1. I donot feel confident as the shortcuts are across all translations the same  no learning needed
2. specially this menu point has a very common translation, an other word would sound strange there

How to proceed ?

Thanks,

Adib.

Re: Translations and Shortcuts with ALT+something

bulia byak
On 6/7/05, Taraben, Adib <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  There are two possibilities:
>  1. change the shortcut for the function in the translated language
>  2. change the translation of the menu iten so it becomes an other shortcut

3. Wait until we have keyboard user-definable shortcuts (or implement
them if you can't wait :), and provide a different map file for each
language, to avoid such conflicts.

--
bulia byak
Inkscape. Draw Freely.

Re: Translations and Shortcuts with ALT+something

Alexandre Prokoudine
On 6/7/05, bulia byak <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 6/7/05, Taraben, Adib <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >  There are two possibilities:
> >  1. change the shortcut for the function in the translated language
> >  2. change the translation of the menu iten so it becomes an other shortcut
>
> 3. Wait until we have keyboard user-definable shortcuts (or implement
> them if you can't wait :), and provide a different map file for each
> language, to avoid such conflicts.

Looks like we are trying to forget that gtk allows assigning hotkeys
by just selection menu item and stroking keys :)

Alexandre

On 6/7/05, Alexandre Prokoudine <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6/7/05, bulia byak <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 6/7/05, Taraben, Adib <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >  There are two possibilities:
> > >  1. change the shortcut for the function in the translated language
> > >  2. change the translation of the menu iten so it becomes an other shortcut
> >
> > 3. Wait until we have keyboard user-definable shortcuts (or implement
> > them if you can't wait :), and provide a different map file for each
> > language, to avoid such conflicts.
>
> Looks like we are trying to forget that gtk allows assigning hotkeys
> by just selection menu item and stroking keys :)

This never worked in Inkscape (nor in Sodipodi, for that matter).

--
bulia byak
Inkscape. Draw Freely.

Re: Translations and Shortcuts with ALT+something

Alexandre Prokoudine
On 6/7/05, bulia byak <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Looks like we are trying to forget that gtk allows assigning hotkeys
> > by just selection menu item and stroking keys :)
>
> This never worked in Inkscape (nor in Sodipodi, for that matter).

Are they switched off explicitely?

Alexandre

Re: Translations and Shortcuts with ALT+something

bulia byak
On 6/7/05, Alexandre Prokoudine <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Are they switched off explicitely?

No. Just not enabled. I have no idea what it takes to enable them, but
in any case we have our own verbs/shortcuts system which may or may
not be easy to interface with this facility.

--
bulia byak
Inkscape. Draw Freely.

Re: Translations and Shortcuts with ALT+something

Alexandre Prokoudine
On 6/7/05, bulia byak <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 6/7/05, Alexandre Prokoudine <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Are they switched off explicitely?
>
> No. Just not enabled. I have no idea what it takes to enable them,

http://gtweakui.sourceforge.net/ is your friend :)

Alexandre

Re: Translations and Shortcuts with ALT+something

MenTaLguY
Quoting bulia byak <[hidden email]>:

> On 6/7/05, Alexandre Prokoudine <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Are they switched off explicitely?
>
> No. Just not enabled. I have no idea what it takes to enable
> them, but in any case we have our own verbs/shortcuts system
> which may or may not be easy to interface with this facility.

It used to work in Sodipodi (though the custom bindings never got
saved between sessions), but was basically entirely disabled when
the "new" (prior to the fork) verb system was introduced.

It would take quite a bit of work to get those GTK facilities
working again, and it would probably be less work to just switch to
using the native GTK "verb system" (GtkAction, IIRC) instead.

Of course GtkAction does lack some nicities we've hacked on
ourselves since the fork -- we'd have to see whether those could be
preserved in such a switch.

-mental

Re: Translations and Shortcuts with ALT+something

Jakub Steiner
On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 11:38 -0400, [hidden email] wrote:

> Quoting bulia byak <[hidden email]>:
>
> > On 6/7/05, Alexandre Prokoudine <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > > Are they switched off explicitely?
> >
> > No. Just not enabled. I have no idea what it takes to enable
> > them, but in any case we have our own verbs/shortcuts system
> > which may or may not be easy to interface with this facility.
>
> It used to work in Sodipodi (though the custom bindings never got
> saved between sessions), but was basically entirely disabled when
> the "new" (prior to the fork) verb system was introduced.
>
> It would take quite a bit of work to get those GTK facilities
> working again, and it would probably be less work to just switch to
> using the native GTK "verb system" (GtkAction, IIRC) instead.
>
> Of course GtkAction does lack some nicities we've hacked on
> ourselves since the fork -- we'd have to see whether those could be
> preserved in such a switch.

Hi Inkscapers!
I just want to point out the gtk dynamic shortcut binding system caused
a lot of pain in GIMP with regard to mnemonic keys. At some cases a
shortcut would get assigned while the user just intended to use a
mnemonic. Dynamic shortcuts also make it very easy to discard existing
shortcut without giving an undo option. The inability to have both at
the same time resulted in that behavior to be a preference setting
(eek!) and a separate menu shortcut editor in the end.

While I really liked the concept at first, mnemonics are really useful
to overcome the problem of having only a limited combinations for
shortcuts. If I had to make a decision, I prefer mnemonics.

cheers

--
Jakub Steiner <[hidden email]>
Novell, Inc.

On 6/7/05, Jakub Steiner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> While I really liked the concept at first, mnemonics are really useful
> to overcome the problem of having only a limited combinations for
> shortcuts. If I had to make a decision, I prefer mnemonics.

I think I agree with that. I didn't use that system a lot in Gimp but
it always seemed quite weird to me.

--
bulia byak
Inkscape. Draw Freely.

Re: Translations and Shortcuts with ALT+something

Bryce Harrington
On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 11:38:32AM -0400, [hidden email] wrote:
> Of course GtkAction does lack some nicities we've hacked on
> ourselves since the fork -- we'd have to see whether those could be
> preserved in such a switch.

Do you know offhand what those features are?

On 6/7/05, Bryce Harrington <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 11:38:32AM -0400, [hidden email] wrote:
> > Of course GtkAction does lack some nicities we've hacked on
> > ourselves since the fork -- we'd have to see whether those could be
> > preserved in such a switch.
>
> Do you know offhand what those features are?

I think the more important question is not whether it will preserve
what we have, but rather, whether it will add something really good
which we don't have (and can't easily add). If it won't, the incentive
to switch will be very small, and it will likely become another
lingering never-finished project that only increases the enthropy in
the codebase.

--
bulia byak
Inkscape. Draw Freely.

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 06:39:56PM -0300, bulia byak wrote:

> On 6/7/05, Bryce Harrington <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 11:38:32AM -0400, [hidden email] wrote:
> > > Of course GtkAction does lack some nicities we've hacked on
> > > ourselves since the fork -- we'd have to see whether those could be
> > > preserved in such a switch.
> >
> > Do you know offhand what those features are?
>
> I think the more important question is not whether it will preserve
> what we have, but rather, whether it will add something really good
> which we don't have (and can't easily add). If it won't, the incentive
> to switch will be very small, and it will likely become another
> lingering never-finished project that only increases the enthropy in
> the codebase.

My opinion is that it isn't worth switching to until SPDesktop is
converted to gtkmm (which looks like a pretty sizeable project).  It
does have some new capabilities that could not be implemented with the
verb system, but it would take additional work to take advantage of
those things anyway.  The main advantage to the system is that it's the
standard way to do things.

The GAction stuff is actually very straightforward coding, and Jizzbug
and I got it all pretty much completed.  It would need to be brought up
to date with changes to shortcuts introduced since it was coded, but
that would probably only take an hour or two to do.  The problem is just
that it depends on SPDesktop being converted over to gtkmm.