Quantcast

UX help

123

UX help

Máirín Duffy
Hi everybody,

I've been using Inkscape and sodipodi before it for maybe 12 years now;
it's my primary design tool. I'm a UX designer for Red Hat and
specialize in mocking up page/screen designs for new features and
modifications, drafting text for user interfaces, as well as user
testing and feedback.

I noticed some of the comments about the 0.92 release text height
issueand the critique of the dialog that pops up in 0.92 about old
Inkscape files.

I would just like to offer my services any time you might need advice or
help in figuring out how to design such dialogs or handle various
conditions like this. I'm mizmo on freenode or you can email me. Please
consider me a resource you can tap anytime for this; I don't code but
I'm always happy to helpwhether it's some quick advice or something more
involved like mockups.

Cheers,
~m

Re: UX help

Josh Andler
Hey Máirín,

We are always looking to improve our UX. If you have any immediate
thoughts/mockups on the items you brought up that you would like to
share, we would be happy for the feedback. Thanks so much for reaching
out. Given the volunteer nature of the majority of our development,
it's greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Josh

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 5:55 AM, Máirín Duffy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I've been using Inkscape and sodipodi before it for maybe 12 years now;
> it's my primary design tool. I'm a UX designer for Red Hat and
> specialize in mocking up page/screen designs for new features and
> modifications, drafting text for user interfaces, as well as user
> testing and feedback.
>
> I noticed some of the comments about the 0.92 release text height
> issueand the critique of the dialog that pops up in 0.92 about old
> Inkscape files.
>
> I would just like to offer my services any time you might need advice or
> help in figuring out how to design such dialogs or handle various
> conditions like this. I'm mizmo on freenode or you can email me. Please
> consider me a resource you can tap anytime for this; I don't code but
> I'm always happy to helpwhether it's some quick advice or something more
> involved like mockups.
>
> Cheers,
> ~m

Re: UX help

Máirín Duffy
Hi Josh!

On 01/25/2017 12:00 PM, Josh Andler wrote:
> We are always looking to improve our UX. If you have any immediate
> thoughts/mockups on the items you brought up that you would like to
> share, we would be happy for the feedback. Thanks so much for reaching
> out. Given the volunteer nature of the majority of our development,
> it's greatly appreciated!
Mc has very patiently explained the particulars of this issue to me in
IRC, and we worked together to come up with this:

http://i.imgur.com/moaKwfo.png

I would be interested in David Revoy's input on this. I know the single
button he suggested is a much better experience for the majority of
users, but I think for the physical output folks, it's going to cause
some problems (they might not think to look under advanced) so I thought
this progressive way of getting into the edge cases would allow them to
have a reasonable experience while still keeping it relatively simple
for the pixel-based majority case (they can pretty much just skim and
click the button and they're fine.)

~m

Re: UX help

Welcome Máirín,

Thanks for the help with UX. If there's a SpinachCon this year and
you're still in Boston, I'll be available to work on Inkscape UX in
person. If not, online is fine too :-)

Physical user interaction is pretty valuable for ux testing, so if
anyone wants to run a session, I can give some pointers and link to
resources.

Best Regards, Martin Owens

On Wed, 2017-01-25 at 08:55 -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I've been using Inkscape and sodipodi before it for maybe 12 years
> now;
> it's my primary design tool. I'm a UX designer for Red Hat and
> specialize in mocking up page/screen designs for new features and
> modifications, drafting text for user interfaces, as well as user
> testing and feedback.
>
> I noticed some of the comments about the 0.92 release text height
> issueand the critique of the dialog that pops up in 0.92 about old
> Inkscape files.
>
> I would just like to offer my services any time you might need advice
> or
> help in figuring out how to design such dialogs or handle various
> conditions like this. I'm mizmo on freenode or you can email me.
> Please
> consider me a resource you can tap anytime for this; I don't code
> but
> I'm always happy to helpwhether it's some quick advice or something
> more
> involved like mockups.
>
> Cheers,
> ~m

Re: UX help

Máirín Duffy
Hey Martin!

On 01/25/2017 01:27 PM, Martin Owens wrote:
> Thanks for the help with UX. If there's a SpinachCon this year and
> you're still in Boston, I'll be available to work on Inkscape UX in
> person. If not, online is fine too :-)
>
> Physical user interaction is pretty valuable for ux testing, so if
> anyone wants to run a session, I can give some pointers and link to
> resources.
Ooh, that's a fantastic idea. Depending on the day of the week I'd have
to figure out child care, but if there's a Spinach Con this year I'm
totally up for this.

~m

Re: UX help

Eduard Braun
Am 25.01.2017 um 18:59 schrieb Máirín Duffy:
Mc has very patiently explained the particulars of this issue to me in
IRC, and we worked together to come up with this:

http://i.imgur.com/moaKwfo.png

Wow, perfect! This mostly solves my concerns I outlined in the relevant Launchpad bug while at the same time making it much easier for most users to make a good choice with less thought!

There's two things that could use improvement:
  • A minor thing: "Pixel-based artwork" sounds a bit like pixel-art (which is not what this is about). Maybe call it "artwork based on dimensions given in pixels" or similar?
  • The two selections for "physical output" do not really well explain what the difference between them is. Both selections mention that they are for content that "needs to be accurate" but the accuracy we're talking about is obviously different in both cases.

Best regards and thanks for the really well though out mockup,
Eduard

Re: UX help

Máirín Duffy
Hi Eduard!

Thanks for the feedback! -

On 01/25/2017 01:35 PM, Eduard Braun wrote:

>   * A minor thing: "Pixel-based artwork" sounds a bit like pixel-art
>     (which is not what this is about). Maybe call it "artwork based on
>     dimensions given in pixels" or similar?

Yeh, I can see that being problematic. How about, "Digital Artwork" -
the implied target for digital artwork in a screen which is pixels, right?

>   * The two selections for "physical output" do not really well
>     explain what the difference between them is. Both selections
>     mention that they are for content that "needs to be accurate" but
>     the accuracy we're talking about is obviously different in both cases.

True, reusing accuracy as a concept might be confusing. The main
decision: do you care more about the appearance of the artwork, or the
real world scale of the artwork? To make that trade-off clearer, how about:

- "The appearance of elements such as clips, masks, and clones is most
important."

- "The accuracy of the physical unit size and position values of objects
in the file is most important."

Thanks,
~m

Re: UX help

On Wed, 2017-01-25 at 19:35 +0100, Eduard Braun wrote:

> Am 25.01.2017 um 18:59 schrieb Máirín Duffy:
> > Mc has very patiently explained the particulars of this issue to me
> > in
> > IRC, and we worked together to come up with this:
> >
> > http://i.imgur.com/moaKwfo.png
>
> Wow, perfect! This mostly solves my concerns I outlined in the
> relevant Launchpad bug while at the same time making it much easier
> for most users to make a good choice with less thought!
>
> There's two things that could use improvement:
> A minor thing: "Pixel-based artwork" sounds a bit like pixel-art
> (which is not what this is about). Maybe call it "artwork based on
> dimensions given in pixels" or similar?

Although detecting embedded images and physical unit use would help
give a bit of context to the choice too.

 - 2 Embedded Images will be resized
or
 - 4 Objects using physical units will be resized.

Or something similar.

"Digital Artwork" is often used to seperate web work from physical
work, maybe useful for the wording?

Re: UX help

Máirín Duffy
This is what the suggestions I made would look like:
http://i.imgur.com/jdKQCf0.png

~m

Re: UX help

Eduard Braun
Am 25.01.2017 um 19:41 schrieb Máirín Duffy:

> Hi Eduard!
>
> Thanks for the feedback! -
>

> On 01/25/2017 01:35 PM, Eduard Braun wrote:
>>
>>   * A minor thing: "Pixel-based artwork" sounds a bit like pixel-art
>>     (which is not what this is about). Maybe call it "artwork based on
>>     dimensions given in pixels" or similar?
>>
> Yeh, I can see that being problematic. How about, "Digital Artwork" -
> the implied target for digital artwork in a screen which is pixels,
> right?
Sounds good (seeing  that Martin also came up with it independently!).
I'd not drop the pixels completely, maybe go with "Digital artwork
(pixel-based)"?

>>   * The two selections for "physical output" do not really well
>>     explain what the difference between them is. Both selections
>>     mention that they are for content that "needs to be accurate" but
>>     the accuracy we're talking about is obviously different in both
>> cases.
>>
> True, reusing accuracy as a concept might be confusing. The main
> decision: do you care more about the appearance of the artwork, or the
> real world scale of the artwork? To make that trade-off clearer, how
> about:
>
> - "The appearance of elements such as clips, masks, and clones is most
> important."
Maybe say "Faithful reproduction of elements [...]" (Appearance sounds a
bit vague).

> - "The accuracy of the physical unit size and position values of
> objects in the file is most important."
As a non-native speaker of English I'd be struggling with "the physical
unit size" (maybe make it more about physical unit sizes in the
graphic), but I agree with the concept

> Thanks,
> ~m

Re: UX help

Máirín Duffy

On 01/25/2017 01:57 PM, Eduard Braun wrote:
> Sounds good (seeing  that Martin also came up with it independently!).
> I'd not drop the pixels completely, maybe go with "Digital artwork
> (pixel-based)"?
In the mockup I put (to be super clear) "Digital artwork for screen
display" (talked about the target output to contrast with the physical one.)

>> - "The accuracy of the physical unit size and position values of
>> objects in the file is most important."
> As a non-native speaker of English I'd be struggling with "the
> physical unit size" (maybe make it more about physical unit sizes in
> the graphic), but I agree with the concept
Does dropping "unit" help?

"The accuracy of the physical size and position values of objects in the
file is most important."

Thanks,
~m

Re: UX help

Bryan Hoyt | Brush Technology
I think these mockups are great. A couple minor suggestions from the sidelines here:

As I was reading the explanation at the top and the option descriptions, I had no idea specifically what was different about the old and new Inkscape, and what would change about my file. It took me a while to read the more details, which finally gave me enough info to say "Oh, it's just converting from 90 to 96 dpi. Cool, go ahead."

This is because the explanation and descriptions describe the generic intent of the action, but not the specific cause and outcome.

It's good to have the gory technical details hidden behind a "more..." button for advanced users, but the addition of a few words above would've helped me. Something like "foobar.svg was created in an older version of Inkscape using 90 DPI and we need to make it compatible with new versions that use 96 DPI. Tell us about the file:"

It would also help to know what each of the 3 options do differently. Behind the "more..." button is fine, but the current explanation just describes two methods, not three, and doesn't clearly say which options they correspond to. It would be great if the methods described here referred back to the three options more clearly.

 - Bryan

On 26 January 2017 at 07:49, Máirín Duffy <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is what the suggestions I made would look like:
http://i.imgur.com/jdKQCf0.png

~m

Bryan Hoyt, Software Developer  --  Brush Technology
Ph: +64 3 741 1204     Mobile: +64 21 238 7955
Web: brush.co.nz

Re: UX help

Great work!
I'm very interested about UX design.

Cheers, Jabier.

On Wed, 2017-01-25 at 14:10 -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> On 01/25/2017 01:57 PM, Eduard Braun wrote:
> > Sounds good (seeing  that Martin also came up with it
> > independently!).
> > I'd not drop the pixels completely, maybe go with "Digital artwork
> > (pixel-based)"?
>
> In the mockup I put (to be super clear) "Digital artwork for screen
> display" (talked about the target output to contrast with the
> physical one.)
> >
> > > - "The accuracy of the physical unit size and position values of
> > > objects in the file is most important."
> >
> > As a non-native speaker of English I'd be struggling with "the
> > physical unit size" (maybe make it more about physical unit sizes
> > in
> > the graphic), but I agree with the concept
>
> Does dropping "unit" help?
>
> "The accuracy of the physical size and position values of objects in
> the
> file is most important."
>
> Thanks,
> ~m

Re: UX help

Thank you for working on this, Máirín!

I actually have no idea what the two scaling methods do, so maybe these
questions I have when I look at the dialog are similar to what others
might think when they're confronted with them for the first time:

I don't understand what 'the appearance of a mask' might be (it's
invisible...), and what could look wrong, if the units/physical sizes
are correct.

If I had to guess, I'd interpret the lower dialog part as:

"Masks might not be positioned correctly in relation to the object they
are masking (and the same for the other things mentioned) if you choose
that physical units are important to you."

Is this what it means?

Is there a way to also tell people about the downside of each method?

And to detect if there is a mask, filter, clone ... at all? Then it
probably wouldn't matter so much which method you choose.

Can someone (some time) actually do explain the difference between the
two methods? FAQ item is fine.
Btw., we haven't had *any* question about the dialog meaning in the
forums or in the answers section yet (which surprised me - maybe people
just chose 'Ignore', as it seems the safest option...?).

Maren

Am 25.01.2017 um 20:10 schrieb Máirín Duffy:

> On 01/25/2017 01:57 PM, Eduard Braun wrote:
>> Sounds good (seeing  that Martin also came up with it independently!).
>> I'd not drop the pixels completely, maybe go with "Digital artwork
>> (pixel-based)"?
> In the mockup I put (to be super clear) "Digital artwork for screen
> display" (talked about the target output to contrast with the physical one.)
>>
>>> - "The accuracy of the physical unit size and position values of
>>> objects in the file is most important."
>> As a non-native speaker of English I'd be struggling with "the
>> physical unit size" (maybe make it more about physical unit sizes in
>> the graphic), but I agree with the concept
> Does dropping "unit" help?
>
> "The accuracy of the physical size and position values of objects in the
> file is most important."
>
> Thanks,
> ~m

Re: UX help

Jabier Arraiza
Hi all again.
Is ok no do nothing option?

Cheers, Jabier.

On Wed, 2017-01-25 at 20:34 +0100, Maren Hachmann wrote:

> Thank you for working on this, Máirín!
>
> I actually have no idea what the two scaling methods do, so maybe
> these
> questions I have when I look at the dialog are similar to what others
> might think when they're confronted with them for the first time:
>
> I don't understand what 'the appearance of a mask' might be (it's
> invisible...), and what could look wrong, if the units/physical sizes
> are correct.
>
> If I had to guess, I'd interpret the lower dialog part as:
>
> "Masks might not be positioned correctly in relation to the object
> they
> are masking (and the same for the other things mentioned) if you
> choose
> that physical units are important to you."
>
> Is this what it means?
>
> Is there a way to also tell people about the downside of each method?
>
> And to detect if there is a mask, filter, clone ... at all? Then it
> probably wouldn't matter so much which method you choose.
>
> Can someone (some time) actually do explain the difference between
> the
> two methods? FAQ item is fine.
> Btw., we haven't had *any* question about the dialog meaning in the
> forums or in the answers section yet (which surprised me - maybe
> people
> just chose 'Ignore', as it seems the safest option...?).
>
> Maren
>
> Am 25.01.2017 um 20:10 schrieb Máirín Duffy:
> >

> > On 01/25/2017 01:57 PM, Eduard Braun wrote:
> > > Sounds good (seeing  that Martin also came up with it
> > > independently!).
> > > I'd not drop the pixels completely, maybe go with "Digital
> > > artwork
> > > (pixel-based)"?
> >
> > In the mockup I put (to be super clear) "Digital artwork for
> > screen
> > display" (talked about the target output to contrast with the
> > physical one.)

> > > As a non-native speaker of English I'd be struggling with "the
> > > physical unit size" (maybe make it more about physical unit sizes
> > > in
> > > the graphic), but I agree with the concept
> >
> > Does dropping "unit" help?
> >
> > "The accuracy of the physical size and position values of objects
> > in the
> > file is most important."
> >
> > Thanks,
> > ~m

Re: UX help

Máirín Duffy
Hi Bryan!

On 01/25/2017 02:15 PM, Bryan Hoyt wrote:

> As I was reading the explanation at the top and the option
> descriptions, I had no idea specifically what was different about the
> old and new Inkscape, and what would change about my file. It took me
> a while to read the more details, which finally gave me enough info to
> say "Oh, it's just converting from 90 to 96 dpi. Cool, go ahead."
>
> This is because the explanation and descriptions describe the generic
> intent of the action, but not the specific cause and outcome.
>
> It's good to have the gory technical details hidden behind a "more..."
> button for advanced users, but the addition of a few words above
> would've helped me. Something like /"foobar.svg was created in an
> older version of Inkscape using 90 DPI and we need to make it
> compatible with new versions that use 96 DPI. Tell us about the file:"/
/
Cool, I think adding in the DPIs in parentheses is straightforward
enough and doesn't make the text too complicated.
/

> It would also help to know what each of the 3 options do differently.
> Behind the "more..." button is fine, but the current explanation just
> describes two methods, not three, and doesn't clearly say which
> options they correspond to. It would be great if the methods described
> here referred back to the three options more clearly.

Fair. I made both changes and updated the mockup here, what do you think?

http://i.imgur.com/gIieEhm.png

~m

Re: UX help

Hi again.
Why we dont add some BIG button/icon with a cool SVG draw inside with
a, for example: a google folow by www, a printer and a sik bug for
cancel? With a main title. folow with the 3 icons, with short caption
with expands. And a global expand like now.

Im thinking on too much users dont want to spend too much time reading
dialogs. Also I check backup by default, if not.

Cheers.

On Wed, 2017-01-25 at 20:50 +0100, Jabier Arraiza wrote:

> Hi all again.
> Is ok no do nothing option?
>
> Cheers, Jabier.
>

> On Wed, 2017-01-25 at 20:34 +0100, Maren Hachmann wrote:
> > Thank you for working on this, Máirín!
> >
> > I actually have no idea what the two scaling methods do, so maybe
> > these
> > questions I have when I look at the dialog are similar to what
> > others
> > might think when they're confronted with them for the first time:
> >
> > I don't understand what 'the appearance of a mask' might be (it's
> > invisible...), and what could look wrong, if the units/physical
> > sizes
> > are correct.
> >
> > If I had to guess, I'd interpret the lower dialog part as:
> >
> > "Masks might not be positioned correctly in relation to the object
> > they
> > are masking (and the same for the other things mentioned) if you
> > choose
> > that physical units are important to you."
> >
> > Is this what it means?
> >
> > Is there a way to also tell people about the downside of each
> > method?
> >
> > And to detect if there is a mask, filter, clone ... at all? Then it
> > probably wouldn't matter so much which method you choose.
> >
> > Can someone (some time) actually do explain the difference between
> > the
> > two methods? FAQ item is fine.
> > Btw., we haven't had *any* question about the dialog meaning in the
> > forums or in the answers section yet (which surprised me - maybe
> > people
> > just chose 'Ignore', as it seems the safest option...?).
> >
> > Maren

> > > In the mockup I put (to be super clear) "Digital artwork for
> > > screen
> > > display" (talked about the target output to contrast with the
> > > physical one.)

> > > Does dropping "unit" help?
> > >
> > > "The accuracy of the physical size and position values of objects
> > > in the
> > > file is most important."
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > ~m

Re: UX help

Máirín Duffy

On 01/25/2017 02:34 PM, Maren Hachmann wrote:
> I don't understand what 'the appearance of a mask' might be (it's
> invisible...), and what could look wrong, if the units/physical sizes
> are correct.
Would it be more accurate to say "masked objects" rather than "mask" ?
> Is there a way to also tell people about the downside of each method?
Yep, I did this in the extended info. I think the options get too long
if it's in the radio options. Do you think this is ok?

http://i.imgur.com/gIieEhm.png
> And to detect if there is a mask, filter, clone ... at all? Then it
> probably wouldn't matter so much which method you choose.
I believe Mc intends to add this kind of logic to make smart choices for
the users, but this is meant for a quick / temporary fix to update the
strings and screen layout only to address the current UI. I think he is
looking at making the dialog smarter after committing a strings-only
change.
> Can someone (some time) actually do explain the difference between the
> two methods? FAQ item is fine.
My understanding (which may be somewhat inaccurate):

We have two "sizes" that apply to Inkscape files. There is the viewbox
size, and the document size. The document size sets the size for print
output. The view box sets the size for display in a browser. The
document size != viewbox size always. They are linked by the DPI, and
unit conversions are performed based on the DPI requested by the output
medium. The document size is used for print output. Initially, Inkscape
files have a document size and viewbox that are the same, and the
dimensions of one are calculated based on the default DPI, but if the
viewbox is changed the document size stays the same; if the document
size changes the viewbox may stay the same.

The first method, which preserves the appearance, resizes the viewbox.
So if the file was A4 at 90 DPI and it's changed to 96 DPI, the file
will be slightly smaller than A4. So this method takes the viewbox and
changes the size to sort of reset the scale on the file so it would be
the full size of A4 at 96 DPI. The problem is, if you have a line of
text in the file that is exactly 100 mm tall on an A4 page at 90 dpi,
because everything is getting scaled together, that line of text will be
bigger than 100mm on the 96 DPI A4 version created through this method.

The second method takes into account the sizes set on individual
elements in the file. This is more problematic because filters, masks,
clips, etc. might not have the exact size / position / etc relative to
the objects they are applied to. However, the end result of this is if
you had a line of text in the 90 DPI A4 page that was 100mm, it would
still be 100mm on the 96 DPI A4 page.
> Btw., we haven't had *any* question about the dialog meaning in the
> forums or in the answers section yet (which surprised me - maybe people
> just chose 'Ignore', as it seems the safest option...?).
While I use 0.92 now and have been using preleases of 0.92 for a while,
I haven't seen this dialog box before. Mc explained it appears if the
viewbox isn't set in the file (older versions of inkscape, IIRC pre 0.48
did not have a viewbox setting, it was an implied rather than explicit
value) , and may not appear depending on how the document size is set in
the file.

I am thinking maybe not so many users are running into the dialog, and
the few that have are loud? (I have run into line height issues messing
up old mockups but the workaround trick works fine for me.)

I still have some holes in my misunderstanding here but hopefully this
helps?

~m

Re: UX help

Máirín Duffy

On 01/25/2017 03:18 PM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Yep, I did this in the extended info. I think the options get too long
> if it's in the radio options. Do you think this is ok?
>
> http://i.imgur.com/gIieEhm.png

Goofed the link here - thanks to Bryan for pointing that out -
http://i.imgur.com/YF7MCWl.png

~m

Re: UX help

On Wed, 2017-01-25 at 15:18 -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> I am thinking maybe not so many users are running into the dialog,
> and the few that have are loud? (I have run into line height issues
> messing up old mockups but the workaround trick works fine for me.)

It may be that some of us use templates to generate svg files and those
svg files didn't have viewBoxes. So it's possible for svg files to
continue to not have a viewBox.

123