Universal Inkscape Design

12

Universal Inkscape Design

C R
Hi folks. To solve the problem with spreadshirt bringing in too many
options for each design, I've made a series of designs, ONE of which
will be the design to go on the spreadshirt store.

So... please choose. :) (Note that each design is shown on a black
shirt and white shirt so you can see what the same design looks like
on both.

Link to samples here:

https://inkscape.org/en/~C.Rogers/%E2%98%85inkscape-logo-universal-white-and-black-design-options

Designs are numbered 1 - 5

Re: Universal Inkscape Design

Victor Westmann
Hi CR,

Numbers 1 and 2 are really awesome! I like them, in this order. ;-)

Thanks,

--Victor Westmann

On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 1:31 PM, C R <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi folks. To solve the problem with spreadshirt bringing in too many
options for each design, I've made a series of designs, ONE of which
will be the design to go on the spreadshirt store.

So... please choose. :) (Note that each design is shown on a black
shirt and white shirt so you can see what the same design looks like
on both.

Link to samples here:

https://inkscape.org/en/~C.Rogers/%E2%98%85inkscape-logo-universal-white-and-black-design-options

Designs are numbered 1 - 5

Re: Universal Inkscape Design

Inkscape - Dev mailing list
My first vote would be for 2, then 3.

On 06/09/2018 02:31 PM, C R wrote:

> Hi folks. To solve the problem with spreadshirt bringing in too many
> options for each design, I've made a series of designs, ONE of which
> will be the design to go on the spreadshirt store.
>
> So... please choose. :) (Note that each design is shown on a black
> shirt and white shirt so you can see what the same design looks like
> on both.
>
> Link to samples here:
>
> https://inkscape.org/en/~C.Rogers/%E2%98%85inkscape-logo-universal-white-and-black-design-options
>
> Designs are numbered 1 - 5
>
> -C

Re: Universal Inkscape Design

mihaela.jurkovic

I like 4 and 5 (I like the full logo), but could you make another design where "Draw Freely." has the same treatment as "Inkscape", without the ribbon background?

Don't forget the point there ;)

Mihaela

On 09.06.2018 22:36, Victor Westmann wrote:
Hi CR,

Numbers 1 and 2 are really awesome! I like them, in this order. ;-)

Thanks,

--Victor Westmann

On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 1:31 PM, C R <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi folks. To solve the problem with spreadshirt bringing in too many
options for each design, I've made a series of designs, ONE of which
will be the design to go on the spreadshirt store.

So... please choose. :) (Note that each design is shown on a black
shirt and white shirt so you can see what the same design looks like
on both.

Link to samples here:

https://inkscape.org/en/~C.Rogers/%E2%98%85inkscape-logo-universal-white-and-black-design-options

Designs are numbered 1 - 5

Re: Universal Inkscape Design

Great work!

Some sugestions:

* Make a option with only letters withour background in "draw fereely".

* Try a alternative to a simple offset of perimeter, maybe whole in a
circle or star or some kind of badge or exploding shape to inverse,
keep as simpler as you can, only logo and circle/star/badge. Maybe the
cirle can be a cirle gaussian.

* Remove background from draw freely

You undertand me?

Regards.

On Sat, 2018-06-09 at 13:36 -0700, Victor Westmann wrote:

> Hi CR,
>
> Numbers 1 and 2 are really awesome! I like them, in this order. ;-)
>
> Thanks,
>

> --Victor Westmann
>
> On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 1:31 PM, C R <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi folks. To solve the problem with spreadshirt bringing in too
> > many
> > options for each design, I've made a series of designs, ONE of
> > which
> > will be the design to go on the spreadshirt store.
> >
> > So... please choose. :) (Note that each design is shown on a black
> > shirt and white shirt so you can see what the same design looks
> > like
> > on both.
> >
> > Link to samples here:
> >
> > https://inkscape.org/en/~C.Rogers/%E2%98%85inkscape-logo-universal-
> > white-and-black-design-options
> >
> > Designs are numbered 1 - 5
> >
> > -C

Re: Universal Inkscape Design

mihaela.jurkovic

Jabier, your third suggestion can't work, because if you remove background, and there is no contrasting offset, the drawing can't work on both white and black t-shirts. If the letters are black, you won't be able to see them on a black t-shirt. That was the whole point of adjusting the logo.

BTW I forgot to add - Spreadshirt settings:

I was able to hide color pickers from product pages, and from the product list pages! This means that the only color available for purchase will be the one you choose as default color when setting up the product.

So if you choose pink color as default for a set of t-shirts, and upload design that fits with that background, people will be able to buy only the pink t-shirt with that design.

If you want also that same design on light-blue t-shirts, you upload the design again, choose t-shirt products, and set default color to light-blue.

That is how we can use a different design for black t-shirts. So we've solved that problem of not having the control over the product background.

There can still be quirks, for example, if you choose product groups, and set default to gray, and if one product from the group doesn't come in that color, then they set it to some near color, but that near color can be black, which is not what we'd want. But we can again use CSS to hide the few offending products or be more picky when choosing product categories.

It's good enough I think to set up a small number of products and designs, and release the shop officially into the public. After that we can look out for other options (shops).

Mihaela

On 09.06.2018 22:59, Jabier Arraiza wrote:
[...]

Yes, thanks for putting these options together, very nice!

I like the design of all five of them, I'd be glad to own any of them.
The "Draw Freely" tagline would be nice to have on a t-shirt.  However,
based on the item I got from spreadshirt I suspect the simple round
design of #3 is going to physically work better from a product quality
design, so would cast my vote for that one.

Bryce

On Sat, Jun 09, 2018 at 09:31:57PM +0100, C R wrote:

> Hi folks. To solve the problem with spreadshirt bringing in too many
> options for each design, I've made a series of designs, ONE of which
> will be the design to go on the spreadshirt store.
>
> So... please choose. :) (Note that each design is shown on a black
> shirt and white shirt so you can see what the same design looks like
> on both.
>
> Link to samples here:
>
> https://inkscape.org/en/~C.Rogers/%E2%98%85inkscape-logo-universal-white-and-black-design-options
>
> Designs are numbered 1 - 5
>
> -C

Re: Universal Inkscape Design

Surething. Can you post a picture of what you got from spreadshirt?

Thanks.
-C

On 9 Jun 2018 22:33, "Bryce Harrington" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, thanks for putting these options together, very nice!

I like the design of all five of them, I'd be glad to own any of them.
The "Draw Freely" tagline would be nice to have on a t-shirt.  However,
based on the item I got from spreadshirt I suspect the simple round
design of #3 is going to physically work better from a product quality
design, so would cast my vote for that one.

Bryce

On Sat, Jun 09, 2018 at 09:31:57PM +0100, C R wrote:
> Hi folks. To solve the problem with spreadshirt bringing in too many
> options for each design, I've made a series of designs, ONE of which
> will be the design to go on the spreadshirt store.
>
> So... please choose. :) (Note that each design is shown on a black
> shirt and white shirt so you can see what the same design looks like
> on both.
>
> Link to samples here:
>
> https://inkscape.org/en/~C.Rogers/%E2%98%85inkscape-logo-universal-white-and-black-design-options
>
> Designs are numbered 1 - 5
>
> -C

Re: Universal Inkscape Design

Hi...

On 9 Jun 2018 21:50, "Mihaela" <[hidden email]> wrote:

I like 4 and 5 (I like the full logo), but could you make another design where "Draw Freely." has the same treatment as "Inkscape", without the ribbon background?

Tried that but it does not look good. The script font is substantially harder to read with the white outline, and treating them the same makes the design look cluttered and unfocused. I tried a bunch of things that are not shown here. I've done the favour of excluding the ones that did not work well.

Just have to trust me on this. :)
-C

On 09.06.2018 22:36, Victor Westmann wrote:
Hi CR,

Numbers 1 and 2 are really awesome! I like them, in this order. ;-)

Thanks,

--Victor Westmann

On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 1:31 PM, C R <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi folks. To solve the problem with spreadshirt bringing in too many
options for each design, I've made a series of designs, ONE of which
will be the design to go on the spreadshirt store.

So... please choose. :) (Note that each design is shown on a black
shirt and white shirt so you can see what the same design looks like
on both.

Link to samples here:

https://inkscape.org/en/~C.Rogers/%E2%98%85inkscape-logo-universal-white-and-black-design-options

Designs are numbered 1 - 5

Re: Universal Inkscape Design

I forgot to mention, thanks for the help. I do wish spreadshirt were a
better platform.

Thanks for your work Mihaela.
-C

On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 10:25 PM, Mihaela <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> cirle can be a cirle gaussian.
>
> * Remove background from draw freely
>
> You undertand me?
>
> Regards.
>

> On Sat, 2018-06-09 at 13:36 -0700, Victor Westmann wrote:
>
> Hi CR,
>
> Numbers 1 and 2 are really awesome! I like them, in this order. ;-)
>
> Thanks,
>

> --Victor Westmann
>
> On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 1:31 PM, C R <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi folks. To solve the problem with spreadshirt bringing in too
> many
> options for each design, I've made a series of designs, ONE of
> which
> will be the design to go on the spreadshirt store.
>
> So... please choose. :) (Note that each design is shown on a black
> shirt and white shirt so you can see what the same design looks

I know using CSS isn't as nice an option as having it through the interface, but it did come from the official Spreadshirt blog, that's where I found the selectors suggested (other people wanted to hide the colorpicker too), and they provide the CSS override area inside the shop settings.

This is a new feature they released after you got an answer from them that it wasn't possible to control the product-color combinations. At least they listened to user feedback and have done something about it, even if it's not perfect.

We can still use your all-purpose design for product categories, and maybe only a couple of individual products with the original logo without alterations?

I know Chris that thin font is notorious to treat like that for all backgrounds, but I thought your superpowers would find the perfect solution :D Maybe the new variable font-width feature could help here? To make it a bit bolder, then the contrasting outline wouldn't drown it? Not likely, but I had to throw it out there, you'll know better what to do with it :)

Mihaela

On 10.06.2018 00:03, C R wrote:
[...]

Sorry for not put a graphic whith my explain:
A lot of to improve but just the ideas:
https://inkscape.org/en/~jabiertxof/%E2%98%85camiseta

Regards.

On Sat, 2018-06-09 at 23:03 +0100, C R wrote:

> [...]
> > the
> > cirle can be a cirle gaussian.
> >
> > * Remove background from draw freely
> >
> > You undertand me?
> >
> > Regards.
> >

> > On Sat, 2018-06-09 at 13:36 -0700, Victor Westmann wrote:
> >
> > Hi CR,
> >
> > Numbers 1 and 2 are really awesome! I like them, in this order. ;-)
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> > --Victor Westmann
> >
> > On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 1:31 PM, C R <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi folks. To solve the problem with spreadshirt bringing in too
> > many
> > options for each design, I've made a series of designs, ONE of
> > which
> > will be the design to go on the spreadshirt store.
> >
> > So... please choose. :) (Note that each design is shown on a black
> > shirt and white shirt so you can see what the same design looks

The samples you've set up on the website still show a black shirt in
the store, indicating that the problem is still there. Trying to
manually hide whole products with css that automatically show up is a
bad solution that we shouldn't have to deal with.

Also, that's not the worst problem:

By far, the worst problem is not being able to control which products
in the category show up in the store. To add one mens shirt, you have
to add the whole category and all products and variations flood the
store. It's by far the worst designed shop system I've ever seen. I'm
not willing to try to fix ONE designs worth of spreadshirt's
ridiculous problems let along MULTIPLE designs worth. So it's ONE
design.

That's my task, and I'm going to complete that one thing so we can
sell some shirts, mugs, caps, etc. with Inkscape logo on them without
having multiple designs, which spreadshirt clearly (and bafflingly)
wasn't built to handle.

On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 11:41 PM, Mihaela <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> cirle can be a cirle gaussian.
>
> * Remove background from draw freely
>
> You undertand me?
>
> Regards.
>

> On Sat, 2018-06-09 at 13:36 -0700, Victor Westmann wrote:
>
> Hi CR,
>
> Numbers 1 and 2 are really awesome! I like them, in this order. ;-)
>
> Thanks,
>

> --Victor Westmann
>
> On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 1:31 PM, C R <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi folks. To solve the problem with spreadshirt bringing in too
> many
> options for each design, I've made a series of designs, ONE of
> which
> will be the design to go on the spreadshirt store.
>
> So... please choose. :) (Note that each design is shown on a black
> shirt and white shirt so you can see what the same design looks

Hi. I did try a lot of things like these, but I wasn't happy with them
vs what I included in the 5 samples.
The one with the white glow behind it is interesting, however I don't
know how good Spreadshirt will be at printing transparent white ink
into a black shirt in that many different levels of apha. This is why
I stuck with black shadows, because at least they wouldn't have to try
to print white on black at anything less than 100% opacity.

Thanks for the advice though. :)
-C

On Sat, Jun 09, 2018 at 10:39:27PM +0100, C R wrote:

> Unfortunately there's no way to control what items and colours show up
> on spreadshirt for a given category. I've confirmed this with the
> company.  It's ONE design folks. I'm done dicking around with
> spreadshirt. It's a waste of time. I will set it up once, and then if
> someone wants to try to make it better later, fine.  The only
> condition for that is the store can not be left in a cluttered
> state. If you make a mess of it, it's your responsibility to test it
> completely make it not-a-mess again the same day.  I recommend against
> using css hacks to hide items manually. Time would be better spent
> exploring better options than spreadshirt for our future merch needs.

Yeah, there's tons of other options for merchandise services out there,
so let's just get spreadshirt finished so people can start buying off of
it.  And then focus work into finding and setting up the next shop with
a different merch service.

Bryce

> [...]
> >
> > On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 1:31 PM, C R <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi folks. To solve the problem with spreadshirt bringing in too
> > many
> > options for each design, I've made a series of designs, ONE of
> > which
> > will be the design to go on the spreadshirt store.
> >
> > So... please choose. :) (Note that each design is shown on a black
> > shirt and white shirt so you can see what the same design looks
> > like
> > on both.
> >
> > Link to samples here:
> > https://inkscape.org/en/~C.Rogers/%E2%98%85inkscape-logo-universal-
> > white-and-black-design-options
> >
> > Designs are numbered 1 - 5
> >
> > -C

Re: Universal Inkscape Design

> Unfortunately..... I'm done dicking around with spreadshirt. It's a waste of

I was just thinking the same thing.  I know we're thinking of this as our first
step towards having our own store.  But I started wondering a long time ago,
exactly what we're getting from it.

I don't mean to offend anyone, or put all the time that's been spent on it, in a
negative light.  But I wonder if we need a reality check?

Do I understand correctly that we're using Spreadshirt because it's made with
open source products?  If our main goal (besides experience) is for the income
it might generate....well personally,  I wonder if we need to be so particular?

Once we get the forum situation straightened out, I'll have more time on my
hands.  I'd be glad to spend it on managing a store -- as long a I don't need
much coding skills to do so.

For the logo designs, I'm curious where the ribbon came from (#s 4 and 5).  I've
never seen that on the logo before.  Not suggesting to change it, but just
curious.

As long as for tshirts (not changing official logo), my vote is either 4 and 5,
or 5 and 4.  I really don't have a preference between them.

Thanks for your hard work on this, C R !

[...]

wrote:  Hi CR, Numbers 1 and 2 are really awesome! I like them, in this order.
;-) Thanks, --Victor Westmann On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 1:31 PM, C R
mailto:[hidden email] wrote:  Hi folks. To solve the problem with spreadshirt
bringing in too many options for each design, I've made a series of designs, ONE
of which will be the design to go on the spreadshirt store. So... please choose.
:) (Note that each design is shown on a black shirt and white shirt so you can
see what the same design looks like on both. Link to samples here:
https://inkscape.org/en/~C.Rogers/%E2%98%85inkscape-logo-universal-
white-and-black-design-options Designs are numbered 1 -
5 -C ----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most engaging tech
sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot

Re: Universal Inkscape Design

Brynn
> For the logo designs, I'm curious where the ribbon came from (#s 4 and 5).
> I've
never seen that on the logo before.  Not suggesting to change it, but just
curious.

Nevermind C R, you answered in a post that came while I was typing.

> Unfortunately..... I'm done dicking around with spreadshirt. It's a waste of
> time.

I was just thinking the same thing.  I know we're thinking of this as our first
step towards having our own store.  But I started wondering a long time ago,
exactly what we're getting from it.

I don't mean to offend anyone, or put all the time that's been spent on it, in a
negative light.  But I wonder if we need a reality check?

Do I understand correctly that we're using Spreadshirt because it's made with
open source products?  If our main goal (besides experience) is for the income
it might generate....well personally,  I wonder if we need to be so particular?

Once we get the forum situation straightened out, I'll have more time on my
hands.  I'd be glad to spend it on managing a store -- as long a I don't need
much coding skills to do so.

For the logo designs, I'm curious where the ribbon came from (#s 4 and 5).  I've
never seen that on the logo before.  Not suggesting to change it, but just
curious.

As long as for tshirts (not changing official logo), my vote is either 4 and 5,
or 5 and 4.  I really don't have a preference between them.

Thanks for your hard work on this, C R !

Re: Universal Inkscape Design

Regarding:

On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 11:41 PM, Mihaela <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I know Chris that thin font is notorious to treat like that for all
> backgrounds, but I thought your superpowers would find the perfect solution
> :D Maybe the new variable font-width feature could help here? To make it a
> bit bolder, then the contrasting outline wouldn't drown it? Not likely, but
> I had to throw it out there, you'll know better what to do with it :)

While I appreciate your vote of confidence, the problem doesn't go
away by making it thicker.
The designs I have here are a careful balance - I want the shirts to
be readable, uncluttered, and visually clean.
Our logo in it's current state looks *okay* with two mixed fonts on a
white background, however it looks absolutely terrible with those two
fonts outlined in white on black because the black separates them, so
instead of looking unified they look disjointed, and stacked atop each
other in a haphazard way. The only way around this is to either put a
white background behind them, which then draws the eye to the shape of
the outline rather than the logo and text, or to do what I've done,
and graphically put them into a clean visual heirarchy so INKSCAPE and
Draw Freely are not fighting with eachother for attention.

So my superpowers have produced these solutions. Sorry if it's not
super enough. :)
-C

> [...]
> cirle can be a cirle gaussian.
>
> * Remove background from draw freely
>
> You undertand me?
>
> Regards.
>

> On Sat, 2018-06-09 at 13:36 -0700, Victor Westmann wrote:
>
> Hi CR,
>
> Numbers 1 and 2 are really awesome! I like them, in this order. ;-)
>
> Thanks,
>

> --Victor Westmann
>
> On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 1:31 PM, C R <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi folks. To solve the problem with spreadshirt bringing in too
> many
> options for each design, I've made a series of designs, ONE of
> which
> will be the design to go on the spreadshirt store.
>
> So... please choose. :) (Note that each design is shown on a black
> shirt and white shirt so you can see what the same design looks

12