Updating the FAQ with pictures and diagrams

Updating the FAQ with pictures and diagrams

C R
Brynn brought it to attention that the FAQ could use some updating to
include pictures and diagrams to help explain.

I'm already looking at the Raster vs. Vector sections, but would like
to know other hot-button questions (questions which we get a lot) that
the FAQ doesn't quite address clearly enough, or possibly could
address better with graphics.

Thanks!

Re: Updating the FAQ with pictures and diagrams

Brynn
I'm not sure where "pictures and diagrams" came from.

The raster vs vector issue is not covered in the FAQ.  We've been trying to get
a page on the website for explaining it in a way that newbies can understand.

As far as I know, the FAQ is up to date.  But the raster vs vector page for the
website is still very much needed.  It's even on the To-Do List page:
https://inkscape.org/en/contribute/to-do-list/

Here's the old LP request for this page.  It's quite long, so I'll just say that
the main points are in Comment #25.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape-web/+bug/1258842

In that long discussion, Moini and I were hoping for sort of a cartoon-ish
illustration, where the illustrations tell most of the story, but of course some
text will be needed.  We don't want an exhaustive, technical explanation
(although it would probably be nice to have an exhaustive, technical explanation
in the wiki).  We were thinking this new page could have links to such a page in
the wiki, for those who wanted more details.

Lazur had made a good start at this, and I don't remember what happened.  Maybe
was just too busy?  A few other people have made such a page (for their own
sites), which are referenced in that LP thread.  But none of them have all the
points we think are important.

I'm afraid that discussion ended badly, and we have not re-visited the issue
since.  Maybe you can make a fresh start of it?  I mean the issue, not the
discussion.

I certainly would welcome any effort towards realizing this page that we've
needed for so long!  Maybe there could be an 8th point, telling how vector
brushes are different from raster brushes?

Re: Updating the FAQ with pictures and diagrams

C R
Cool, definitely on-board with it - I'll work on it this week. Thanks
for bringing it to my attention.
More soon.

-C

On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 9:50 AM, brynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not sure where "pictures and diagrams" came from.
>
> The raster vs vector issue is not covered in the FAQ.  We've been trying to
> get a page on the website for explaining it in a way that newbies can
> understand.
>
> As far as I know, the FAQ is up to date.  But the raster vs vector page for
> the website is still very much needed.  It's even on the To-Do List page:
> https://inkscape.org/en/contribute/to-do-list/
>
> Here's the old LP request for this page.  It's quite long, so I'll just say
> that the main points are in Comment #25.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape-web/+bug/1258842
>
> In that long discussion, Moini and I were hoping for sort of a cartoon-ish
> illustration, where the illustrations tell most of the story, but of course
> some text will be needed.  We don't want an exhaustive, technical
> explanation (although it would probably be nice to have an exhaustive,
> technical explanation in the wiki).  We were thinking this new page could
> have links to such a page in the wiki, for those who wanted more details.
>
> Lazur had made a good start at this, and I don't remember what happened.
> Maybe was just too busy?  A few other people have made such a page (for
> their own sites), which are referenced in that LP thread.  But none of them
> have all the points we think are important.
>
> I'm afraid that discussion ended badly, and we have not re-visited the issue
> since.  Maybe you can make a fresh start of it?  I mean the issue, not the
> discussion.
>
> I certainly would welcome any effort towards realizing this page that we've
> needed for so long!  Maybe there could be an 8th point, telling how vector
> brushes are different from raster brushes?
>
> All best,
> brynn
>
> -----Original Message----- From: C R
> Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 7:12 AM
> To: inkscape-devel
> Subject: [Inkscape-devel] Updating the FAQ with pictures and diagrams
>

> Brynn brought it to attention that the FAQ could use some updating to
> include pictures and diagrams to help explain.
>
> I'm already looking at the Raster vs. Vector sections, but would like
> to know other hot-button questions (questions which we get a lot) that
> the FAQ doesn't quite address clearly enough, or possibly could
> address better with graphics.
>
> Thanks!
> -C

Re: Updating the FAQ with pictures and diagrams

Brynn
Fantastic!!