Quantcast

Using libpotrace - any easy examples ?

Ken Moffat
Among the changes for 0.92, I saw that libpotrace was no longer
shipped, and therefore an external library was needed.  Therefore,
for those of us who build without that external library (I'm from
BLFS - Beyond Linux From Scratch) we are apparently losing
functionality compared to 0.91.  But proving it to my colleagues is
a different matter.

My searches suggested that the Paintbucket tool would no-longer
work, and that that could be confirmed by drawing a box with a
foreground colour to fill it.  But that continued to work, so I have
been unable to prove that error on our part.  Meanwhile, we had
other fish to fry (/me wonders if that is the right phrase for a
vegetarian to use, but whatever ...).

Now that I'm back to looking at upcoming things, asking a question
here looks like a nice diversion from upcoming changes in other
packages (particularly firefox and its reputed requirement for rust),
even if I end up showing my ignorance.

So: is there a *simple* series of actions which even an artistic
numpty like me can do, which will work on 0.91, but which on 0.92
*without* libpotrace will fail ?

Thanks.

ĸen
for them.'     -- Small Gods

Re: Using libpotrace - any easy examples ?

Alex Valavanis-3
Hi Ken,

Two things will be missing... "Path->Trace Bitmap..." won't appear in
the menu, and you won't see the paintbucket tool in the side toolbar.

AV

On Fri, Mar 03, 2017 at 09:47:16AM +0000, Alex Valavanis wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>
> Two things will be missing... "Path->Trace Bitmap..." won't appear in
> the menu, and you won't see the paintbucket tool in the side toolbar.
>

> AV
>
> On 3 March 2017 at 06:52, Ken Moffat <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Among the changes for 0.92, I saw that libpotrace was no longer
> > shipped, and therefore an external library was needed.  Therefore,
> > for those of us who build without that external library (I'm from
> > BLFS - Beyond Linux From Scratch) we are apparently losing
> > functionality compared to 0.91.  But proving it to my colleagues is
> > a different matter.
> >
> > My searches suggested that the Paintbucket tool would no-longer
> > work, and that that could be confirmed by drawing a box with a
> > foreground colour to fill it.  But that continued to work, so I have
> > been unable to prove that error on our part.

Hi Alex - thanks.

I can now see that the bucket is indeed missing (and the Path option,
which I had not been aware of).  What was confusing me is that I
opened a new drawing in normal view, drew a couple of overlapping
squares, and they were immediately filled with the foreground colour
and I had assumed that was what the bucket fill did.

Clearly, I need to refer to the online guide(s) a bit more. ;-)

ĸen
for them.'     -- Small Gods