Variables in Inkscape

Robert Van Den Bergh

Hey,

Is it possible to create variables in Inkscape that link to a database?

Kind regards,

Rob

Re: Variables in Inkscape

doctormo
On Sun, 2018-02-11 at 10:57 +0000, Robert Van Den Bergh wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Is it possible to create variables in Inkscape that link to a
> database?

Variables as in that you can combine outside data with your svg file
somehow? For example mail-merge in word processors?

I don't know of any already made (there probably are some) but if there
isn't, a python module could probably be created to do a lot of the
work you need.

Re: Variables in Inkscape

C R
There's no in-built functionality in Inkscape to pull from a database.
What Martin is suggesting is writing an extension or script to modify
the svg data of what you've already made in Inkscape. But you would
probably have to run the extension or script manually each time you
want your svg updated.

I'd make a wishlist item in the bug tracker. Especially one to import
data from a csv spreadsheet. It's not too complicated that way.
Pulling directly from a database is probably outside the realm of
possibility for the time being, as it requires many more layers of
complexity.

Frankly, I'd be thrilled if Inkscape could link svgs properly. :)

-C