Website: JS Form Validation

Martin Owens-2
Dear Developers,

Thanks to the work by Rohit Lodha, we now have javascript validating
the resource upload form.

What this means is that if you don't have enough quota, or there's some
other issue with your upload like it's the wrong file type for that
category. Then you should get a javascript message before the form is
submitted and you shouldn't have to wait a long time for the form to
fail.

It'll need more testing of course and you can get to it here:

https://inkscape.org/en/gallery/upload/

(don't forget to force refresh to clear your cache, new js and css)

Re: Website: JS Form Validation

Eduard Braun
Am 15.03.2017 um 21:42 schrieb Martin Owens:

> Dear Developers,
>
> Thanks to the work by Rohit Lodha, we now have javascript validating
> the resource upload form.
>
> What this means is that if you don't have enough quota, or there's some
> other issue with your upload like it's the wrong file type for that
> category. Then you should get a javascript message before the form is
> submitted and you shouldn't have to wait a long time for the form to
> fail.
>
> It'll need more testing of course and you can get to it here:
>
> https://inkscape.org/en/gallery/upload/
>
> (don't forget to force refresh to clear your cache, new js and css)
>
> Best Regards, Martin Owens

Great news!
A quick check seems fine. Among others quota checking seems to be
working as does checking for owner name (which is tracked at [1]).

Could MD5/signature also be checked before upload?

And one thing I'd really love: Is there any chance for a progress bar
when uploading? The possibility seems to exist (see [2] for an example).

Regards and thanks for working on this Rohit,
Eduard

[1] https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape-web/issues/2
[2] https://www.sitepoint.com/html5-javascript-file-upload-progress-bar/

On Wed, 2017-03-15 at 22:13 +0100, Eduard Braun wrote:
> And one thing I'd really love: Is there any chance for a progress
> bar when uploading? The possibility seems to exist (see [2] for an
> example).

We already have one for the drag and drop uploading. But very few
people use it.

To put it in the regular form, we'd need to upload a file and keep
track of it, which is just not how django works. You have to make an
object when you start an upload.

So.. we've got as much of a progress bar as we can do, but most people
don't discover it.

Am 15.03.2017 um 22:42 schrieb Martin Owens:

> On Wed, 2017-03-15 at 22:13 +0100, Eduard Braun wrote:
>> And one thing I'd really love: Is there any chance for a progress
>> bar when uploading? The possibility seems to exist (see [2] for an
>> example).
> We already have one for the drag and drop uploading. But very few
> people use it.
>
> [...]
>
> So.. we've got as much of a progress bar as we can do, but most people
> don't discover it.

Drag and drop uploading? ... where? ... how?
I certainly haven't discovered it yet :-O

Re: Website: JS Form Validation

Martin Owens-2

> > don't discover it.
> Drag and drop uploading? ... where? ... how?
> I certainly haven't discovered it yet :-O

Drag onto the blue submit button while in a gallery or a category.
Should produce an upload bar per file.