Quantcast

What are your development plans for 0.93?

What are your development plans for 0.93?

Bryce Harrington-3

I've marked off the 0.92 items that were done from the Roadmap.  A few
things weren't finished and I've bumped them forward to 0.93.  Some
stuff I'm not certain of; if anyone else knows please update
accordingly.

The 0.93 list of objectives looks more ambitious than I suspect the
project can achieve within the coming year, and should be realigned to
better forecast what's likely to be done.

A few items from the 0.93 roadmap are already under way:

  * Gtk3 & drop Gtk2
  * Git & drop bzr
  * CMake & drop autotools/btools/etc.
  * C++11 compiler hard requirement

I think we could safely add:

  * OS X native packaging

What else could be considered to be added?

These I'm not so sure about, and might be candidates to postpone, if no
one is looking at working on them presently:

  * Flip y-cooridinate to match SVG
  * Dependency reorg
  * Unit test framework and major test case expansion
  * Windows uninstaller
  * New Swatch dialog

Thoughts on the above?  Or any other Roadmap modifications that should
be discussed?

Re: What are your development plans for 0.93?

Tim Sheridan
> I think we could safely add:
>
> * OS X native packaging

Yup, I'll be sticking around to help work on this (with su_v and anyone else), so happy to have this milestoned for 0.93.

Cheers,
Tim

Re: What are your development plans for 0.93?

Eduard Braun
Am 19.02.2017 um 23:28 schrieb Bryce Harrington:
>    * Windows uninstaller

Uninstallers should be working fine (both .msi and .exe).
I was putting some additional work into it lately and I'm not aware of
any remaining issues so this can safely be marked as done. Didn't even
know this was a roadmap item...

Regards,
Eduard

Re: What are your development plans for 0.93?

Alex Valavanis-3
It's not a glamorous suggestion, but I strongly suggest that we focus
our efforts on fixing everything that we (mostly I!) have broken
through the underlying infrastructure changes and then taking
advantage of the new capabilities.

We've had a few years now of basically ensuring that we can compile on
Gtk+ 3 systems, and now we've flipped the switch so that we require
them.  It's time now to work through every feature, every dialog and a
wide range of workflows and check:
 (a) they still work correctly
 (b) they still look and feel good (or better!), and
 (c) whether Gtk+ 3 offers us new opportunities to do things better...
e.g., better tablet/multi-touch support, better support for context
menus, smarter use of UI and icon themes...

Best wishes,

Alex

On 20 February 2017 at 00:13, Eduard Braun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 19.02.2017 um 23:28 schrieb Bryce Harrington:
>>    * Windows uninstaller
>
> Uninstallers should be working fine (both .msi and .exe).
> I was putting some additional work into it lately and I'm not aware of
> any remaining issues so this can safely be marked as done. Didn't even
> know this was a roadmap item...
>
> Regards,
> Eduard

Re: What are your development plans for 0.93?

Martin Owens-2
On Mon, 2017-02-20 at 21:19 +0000, Alex Valavanis wrote:

> It's not a glamorous suggestion, but I strongly suggest that we focus
> our efforts on fixing everything that we (mostly I!) have broken
> through the underlying infrastructure changes and then taking
> advantage of the new capabilities.
>
> We've had a few years now of basically ensuring that we can compile
> on
> Gtk+ 3 systems, and now we've flipped the switch so that we require
> them.  It's time now to work through every feature, every dialog and
> wide range of workflows and check:
>  (a) they still work correctly
>  (b) they still look and feel good (or better!), and
>  (c) whether Gtk+ 3 offers us new opportunities to do things
> better...
> e.g., better tablet/multi-touch support, better support for context
> menus, smarter use of UI and icon themes...

This is a good idea, but it will require a solid organisation of the
task. I'm talking lists of todos, someone to hunt for people to help
with work (because it will need multiple eyes) and since we'll be
looking at dialogs and ui, maybe some simple easy ui changes too.

Would you be willing to be the checklist generator and check marker for
this kind of task Alex?

Re: What are your development plans for 0.93?

Alexandre Prokoudine
On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 12:19 AM, Alex Valavanis wrote:

> them.  It's time now to work through every feature, every dialog and a
> wide range of workflows and check:
>  (a) they still work correctly
>  (b) they still look and feel good (or better!), and
>  (c) whether Gtk+ 3 offers us new opportunities to do things better...
> e.g., better tablet/multi-touch support, better support for context
> menus, smarter use of UI and icon themes...

If I may just chime in, there was that strange notion :) that dockable
dialogs need to play along nicely in terms of width. Currently they
all seem to be designed as single entities, so they take as much width
as they want, and the rest has to adapt. Which makes some dialogs
unnecessarily large.

If this is something you could put under b) and/or c), quite a few
people out there would find themselves being happy puppies with
wagging tails and whatnot :)

Alex

Re: What are your development plans for 0.93?

Yale Zhang
I also suggest focusing on fixing bugs and optimizing performance
instead of new features.

For the few people who use Inkscape for art purposes, like Vlada and
I, and can't tolerate interruptions, faster rendering would be very
welcome. I submitted a patch that sped up the gaussian blur filter 5x
from vectorization, but I don't think anyone has reviewed it.

https://code.launchpad.net/~simdgenius/inkscape/inkscape

I also have a patch for turbulence. Manual vectorization might not be
an elegant solution and I know of the proposal to approximate gaussian
blur as a series of 3 box blurs. But can that approximation replace
the current IIR filter for high quality settings? If not, then the
vectorized version can still be used.

I also had a patch for multithreaded rendering. Vlada and I have been
using it for a while and it seems stable enough to be considered an
experimental feature. The one case where it doesn't help is when
zooming into a very blurred region, but it shouldn't be slower than
single thread.

I can make some side by side videos showing the speedup.

-Yale

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 2:11 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 12:19 AM, Alex Valavanis wrote:
>
>> them.  It's time now to work through every feature, every dialog and a
>> wide range of workflows and check:
>>  (a) they still work correctly
>>  (b) they still look and feel good (or better!), and
>>  (c) whether Gtk+ 3 offers us new opportunities to do things better...
>> e.g., better tablet/multi-touch support, better support for context
>> menus, smarter use of UI and icon themes...
>
> If I may just chime in, there was that strange notion :) that dockable
> dialogs need to play along nicely in terms of width. Currently they
> all seem to be designed as single entities, so they take as much width
> as they want, and the rest has to adapt. Which makes some dialogs
> unnecessarily large.
>
> If this is something you could put under b) and/or c), quite a few
> people out there would find themselves being happy puppies with
> wagging tails and whatnot :)
>
> Alex

Re: What are your development plans for 0.93?

Jabier Arraiza
Cool Yale, I hope I can see it on action soon.

Cheers, Jabier.

On Tue, 2017-02-21 at 15:32 +0100, Jabier Arraiza wrote:
> Cool Yale, I hope I can see it on action soon.

Are you able to review his code, at least in a basic way?

Re: What are your development plans for 0.93?

Jabier Arraiza
I see some of his code time ago when publish it but not sure if I know
enoght about this kind of things. Anyway I try to review in a basic
way.

On Tue, 2017-02-21 at 10:24 -0500, Martin Owens wrote:
> On Tue, 2017-02-21 at 15:32 +0100, Jabier Arraiza wrote:
> > Cool Yale, I hope I can see it on action soon.
>
> Are you able to review his code, at least in a basic way?
>
> Martin,

Fwd: What are your development plans for 0.93?

Vladimir Savic-3
After using that patch for all my work for about a month, there are some things I have to add. It improves Inkscape a lot, A LOOOT, I mean! Yale has already stated where it fails to deliver improvements (high zoom level of blur), but there is no way to improve that with vectorization anyway.

The only bug I've seen on my system is that color related operations sometimes get messed up. For example color picker picks wrong color from canvas and imported bitmap's colors are wrong sometimes, but not always. I can investigate that further for you, Yale. Although, no idea if that has anything to do with your work only or it is your improvement interfering with ongoing inclusion of Styles dialog.

Yale, we should definitively make a small and amateurish video presentation. ;)

Vlada

P.S. I've sent this mail accidentally to Jabier only. Sorry about it. Forwarded to list...

Re: What are your development plans for 0.93?

Tavmjong Bah
On Tue, 2017-02-21 at 04:55 -0800, Yale Zhang wrote:

> I also suggest focusing on fixing bugs and optimizing performance
> instead of new features.
>
> For the few people who use Inkscape for art purposes, like Vlada and
> I, and can't tolerate interruptions, faster rendering would be very
> welcome. I submitted a patch that sped up the gaussian blur filter 5x
> from vectorization, but I don't think anyone has reviewed it.
>
> https://code.launchpad.net/~simdgenius/inkscape/inkscape
>
> I also have a patch for turbulence. Manual vectorization might not be
> an elegant solution and I know of the proposal to approximate
> gaussian
> blur as a series of 3 box blurs. But can that approximation replace
> the current IIR filter for high quality settings? If not, then the
> vectorized version can still be used.
>
> I also had a patch for multithreaded rendering. Vlada and I have been
> using it for a while and it seems stable enough to be considered an
> experimental feature. The one case where it doesn't help is when
> zooming into a very blurred region, but it shouldn't be slower than
> single thread.
>
> I can make some side by side videos showing the speedup.

Please keep pestering us until these patches are incorporated!

A couple of comments from a quick look: The new files need licensing
information and there seems to be very little documentation in the
code.

Tav

On Sun, 2017-02-19 at 14:28 -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:

> I've marked off the 0.92 items that were done from the Roadmap.  A
> few
> things weren't finished and I've bumped them forward to 0.93.  Some
> stuff I'm not certain of; if anyone else knows please update
> accordingly.
>
> The 0.93 list of objectives looks more ambitious than I suspect the
> project can achieve within the coming year, and should be realigned
> better forecast what's likely to be done.
>

> A few items from the 0.93 roadmap are already under way:
>
>   * Gtk3 & drop Gtk2
>   * Git & drop bzr
>   * CMake & drop autotools/btools/etc.
>   * C++11 compiler hard requirement
>

> I think we could safely add:
>
>   * OS X native packaging
>
> What else could be considered to be added?

I personally am working on the new Style dialog. I also plan to add
editing support for SVG 2 text (rendering already mostly works). SVG 2
text has a natural SVG 1.1 fallback option which will solve the flowed
text problem. I will also help with Gtk3 work.

Am 20.02.2017 um 22:19 schrieb Alex Valavanis:
>  (c) whether Gtk+ 3 offers us new opportunities to do things better...
> e.g., better tablet/multi-touch support, better support for context
> menus, smarter use of UI and icon themes...

Btw. there seems to be an Android App for Inkscape (and Gimp, in one).
Has anyone ever tried it?

http://inkscapegarden.com/news-and-event/inkscape-on-android/

Maren

On Sat, 2017-02-25 at 01:06 +0100, Maren Hachmann wrote:

> Btw. there seems to be an Android App for Inkscape (and Gimp, in
> one).
> Has anyone ever tried it?
>
> http://inkscapegarden.com/news-and-event/inkscape-on-android/

It sounds like they're installing a full OS, kind of interesting. When
I get a new battery for my tablet, I'll give it a go.

Anyone else tried it? (or able to?)