Quantcast

aligning to grid

Bugzilla from iw@ukulele.com
Objects seem to align to the grid 3 ways: to the center line of the
object's outline, to the outer edge of the outline, or to the inner edge
of the outline. This leaves some wiggle space which can throw off the
manual aligning of several objects. Is there any way to turn off 2 of the
3 and get rid of the wiggle space?

Thanks,
Wayne
Inkscape 0.42

Re: aligning to grid

bulia byak
On 7/27/05, wayne <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Objects seem to align to the grid 3 ways: to the center line of the
> object's outline, to the outer edge of the outline, or to the inner edge
> of the outline. This leaves some wiggle space which can throw off the
> manual aligning of several objects. Is there any way to turn off 2 of the
> 3 and get rid of the wiggle space?

There's no snapping on the inner edge, in fact. There is snapping on
_nodes_ (which are on the center line of stroke) and _bounding box_
(which is the outer frame of an object). In Document Preferences, you
can switch these two snapping modes on or off, to have either one or
both or none, separately for grid and guide snapping.

--
bulia byak
Inkscape. Draw Freely.

Re: aligning to grid

Bryce Harrington
On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 08:05:26AM -1000, wayne wrote:
> Objects seem to align to the grid 3 ways: to the center line of the
> object's outline, to the outer edge of the outline, or to the inner edge
> of the outline. This leaves some wiggle space which can throw off the
> manual aligning of several objects. Is there any way to turn off 2 of the
> 3 and get rid of the wiggle space?

I've been able to improve results by fiddling with the settings in the
Grid section of the Document Preferences dialog.  YMMV.  The grid
functionality is definitely an area that could use some tuning.

One thing I've noticed that needs to be taken into consideration, is
that technical drawing users and artistic drawing users have subtle but
fundamentally different notions of how grid snapping should work.  Thus,
work on this code should take into consideration the need for users to
be able to easily get the style of snapping that they prefer.  In the
past, when the snapping got optimized for technical drawing usage,
someone else reverted it back to a more artistic style, so I think some
design thought needs to go into figuring out how best to handle
snapping.

Re: aligning to grid

Bungee
Bryce Harrington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 08:05:26AM -1000, wayne wrote:
> > Objects seem to align to the grid 3 ways: to the center line of the
> > object's outline, to the outer edge of the outline, or to the inner edge
> > of the outline. This leaves some wiggle space which can throw off the
> > manual aligning of several objects. Is there any way to turn off 2 of the
> > 3 and get rid of the wiggle space?
>
> I've been able to improve results by fiddling with the settings in the
> Grid section of the Document Preferences dialog.  YMMV.  The grid
> functionality is definitely an area that could use some tuning.
>
> One thing I've noticed that needs to be taken into consideration, is
> that technical drawing users and artistic drawing users have subtle but
> fundamentally different notions of how grid snapping should work.  Thus,
> work on this code should take into consideration the need for users to
> be able to easily get the style of snapping that they prefer.  In the
> past, when the snapping got optimized for technical drawing usage,
> someone else reverted it back to a more artistic style, so I think some
> design thought needs to go into figuring out how best to handle
> snapping.
>
> Bryce

Related to this, it seems that you can't have a grid size smaller than 2.5mm.
For the work I would like to do on Inkscape I need to have a minor grid size of
1mm (and ideally 0.5mm)

--
Bungee

Re: aligning to grid

Bryce Harrington
On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 09:20:05PM +0100, Bungee wrote:

> Bryce Harrington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 08:05:26AM -1000, wayne wrote:
> > > Objects seem to align to the grid 3 ways: to the center line of the
> > > object's outline, to the outer edge of the outline, or to the inner edge
> > > of the outline. This leaves some wiggle space which can throw off the
> > > manual aligning of several objects. Is there any way to turn off 2 of the
> > > 3 and get rid of the wiggle space?
> >
> > I've been able to improve results by fiddling with the settings in the
> > Grid section of the Document Preferences dialog.  YMMV.  The grid
> > functionality is definitely an area that could use some tuning.
> >
> > One thing I've noticed that needs to be taken into consideration, is
> > that technical drawing users and artistic drawing users have subtle but
> > fundamentally different notions of how grid snapping should work.  Thus,
> > work on this code should take into consideration the need for users to
> > be able to easily get the style of snapping that they prefer.  In the
> > past, when the snapping got optimized for technical drawing usage,
> > someone else reverted it back to a more artistic style, so I think some
> > design thought needs to go into figuring out how best to handle
> > snapping.
> >
> > Bryce
>
> Related to this, it seems that you can't have a grid size smaller than 2.5mm.
> For the work I would like to do on Inkscape I need to have a minor grid size of
> 1mm (and ideally 0.5mm)

Can you submit a feature request for this?  My guess is that this is a
simple thing to change, but will require doublechecking a couple things
and testing it a bit.

Re: aligning to grid

bulia byak
> > Related to this, it seems that you can't have a grid size smaller than 2.5mm.
> > For the work I would like to do on Inkscape I need to have a minor grid size of
> > 1mm (and ideally 0.5mm)

I have no problems setting it to 0.5mm. Can you give more details on
your problem?

--
bulia byak
Inkscape. Draw Freely.

Re: aligning to grid - resolved

Bungee
bulia byak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Related to this, it seems that you can't have a grid size smaller than
2.5mm.
> > > For the work I would like to do on Inkscape I need to have a minor grid
size of
> > > 1mm (and ideally 0.5mm)
>
> I have no problems setting it to 0.5mm. Can you give more details on
> your problem?

Problem resolved thank you. I didn't realise that the minor grid size would
dissapear dependent on zoom factor. Seeing your comment made me experiment
further.

The game was given away when I tried progressively reducing the grid size and
moving the points of a drawn line while 'snap to grid' was on and set to the
same size as the minor grid. Although the lines were invisible, the positioning
still went in jumps.

By the purest co-incidence I had previously set a zoom size so that this
happened with a grid size of 2.5mm. I use 2.54 (0.1in) quite a lot.

--
Bungee