announce hackfest? (advocacy group/team?)

12

announce hackfest? (advocacy group/team?)

Brynn
Hi Friends,
        Should we put up an announcement about the upcoming hackfest, on the
website and forums?  (I realize it's already been announced on mailing list.)

        I found this page:  http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Hackfest2017
But it doesn't give the agenda - only where attendees will meet each day.  (The
Hackfest Topics page isn't written yet.)

        If someone can give me, if not agenda, just a short list of potential
topics, I can write up a quick News item for the website.  Something more than
just - fix bugs, stability, and infrastructure - if possible? (And I'll also
make forum posts.)

        Apparently we don't need donations so much this time.  But (announcing)
it would still be an opportunity to keep the user community more involved --
even if all they can do is read about it.

        Speaking of announcing, should we take another shot at creating an
advocacy group or team?  Maybe after the hackfest activity is over?  Late July -
August-ish?

Re: announce hackfest? (advocacy group/team?)

Tavmjong Bah
On Wed, 2017-05-31 at 13:14 -0600, brynn wrote:
> Hi Friends,
>         Should we put up an announcement about the upcoming hackfest,
> on the
> website and forums?  (I realize it's already been announced on
> mailing list.)

Sounds like a good idea.

>         I found this
> page:  http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Hackfest2017
> But it doesn't give the agenda - only where attendees will meet each
> day.  (The
> Hackfest Topics page isn't written yet.)
>
>         If someone can give me, if not agenda, just a short list of
> potential
> topics, I can write up a quick News item for the website.  Something
> more than
> just - fix bugs, stability, and infrastructure - if possible? (And
> I'll also
> make forum posts.)

I and Mc have added a few things to the topics page. Hopefully others
will add more soon.

>         Apparently we don't need donations so much this time.  But
> (announcing)
> it would still be an opportunity to keep the user community more
> involved --
> even if all they can do is read about it.

Definitely!

>         Speaking of announcing, should we take another shot at
> creating an
> advocacy group or team?  Maybe after the hackfest activity is
> over?  Late July -
> August-ish?

Sounds good.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Tav

> All best,
> brynn

Re: announce hackfest? (advocacy group/team?)

C R
Do we want people showing up at the Hackfest? If not, if wait until after the Hackfest is over to allow devs to concentrate on the work. I think folks would be more interested in seeing what happened at the event with pictures etc.

On 2 Jun 2017 7:52 p.m., "Tavmjong Bah" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 2017-05-31 at 13:14 -0600, brynn wrote:
> Hi Friends,
>         Should we put up an announcement about the upcoming hackfest,
> on the
> website and forums?  (I realize it's already been announced on
> mailing list.)

Sounds like a good idea.

>         I found this
> page:  http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Hackfest2017
> But it doesn't give the agenda - only where attendees will meet each
> day.  (The
> Hackfest Topics page isn't written yet.)
>
>         If someone can give me, if not agenda, just a short list of
> potential
> topics, I can write up a quick News item for the website.  Something
> more than
> just - fix bugs, stability, and infrastructure - if possible? (And
> I'll also
> make forum posts.)

I and Mc have added a few things to the topics page. Hopefully others
will add more soon.

>         Apparently we don't need donations so much this time.  But
> (announcing)
> it would still be an opportunity to keep the user community more
> involved --
> even if all they can do is read about it.

Definitely!

>         Speaking of announcing, should we take another shot at
> creating an
> advocacy group or team?  Maybe after the hackfest activity is
> over?  Late July -
> August-ish?

Sounds good.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Tav

> All best,
> brynn

Re: announce hackfest? (advocacy group/team?)

Martin Owens-2
An announcement keeps things active and we don't need to give an
invitation. People showing up isn't going to hurt us too much, and if
they track us down that hard, we should probably put them to work on
the project ;-)

If someone wants to write a news article taking what Tav and others
have talked about, we can mention what we will be doing and what our
hopes and dreams are.

Best Regards, Martin Owens

On 3 June 2017 at 06:03, C R <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do we want people showing up at the Hackfest? If not, if wait until after
> the Hackfest is over to allow devs to concentrate on the work. I think folks
> would be more interested in seeing what happened at the event with pictures
> etc.
>

> On 2 Jun 2017 7:52 p.m., "Tavmjong Bah" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 2017-05-31 at 13:14 -0600, brynn wrote:
>> > Hi Friends,
>> >         Should we put up an announcement about the upcoming hackfest,
>> > on the
>> > website and forums?  (I realize it's already been announced on
>> > mailing list.)
>>
>> Sounds like a good idea.
>>
>> >         I found this
>> > page:  http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Hackfest2017
>> > But it doesn't give the agenda - only where attendees will meet each
>> > day.  (The
>> > Hackfest Topics page isn't written yet.)
>> >
>> >         If someone can give me, if not agenda, just a short list of
>> > potential
>> > topics, I can write up a quick News item for the website.  Something
>> > more than
>> > just - fix bugs, stability, and infrastructure - if possible? (And
>> > I'll also
>> > make forum posts.)
>>
>> I and Mc have added a few things to the topics page. Hopefully others
>> will add more soon.
>>
>> >         Apparently we don't need donations so much this time.  But
>> > (announcing)
>> > it would still be an opportunity to keep the user community more
>> > involved --
>> > even if all they can do is read about it.
>>
>> Definitely!
>>
>> >         Speaking of announcing, should we take another shot at
>> > creating an
>> > advocacy group or team?  Maybe after the hackfest activity is
>> > over?  Late July -
>> > August-ish?
>>
>> Sounds good.
>>
>> Thanks for bringing this up.
>>
>> Tav
>>
>> > All best,
>> > brynn

Re: announce hackfest? (advocacy group/team?)

Hi Tav and all,
        I'm writing up a quick draft.  I seem to recall from last year, there
were a number of people in attendance who seemed to serve as searchers or
resource-locators, or maybe testers, whom it was said had been invaluable in
keeping up the pace of the workload.

        Would that be worth mentioning, to invite that sort of person, assuming
they could pay their own way?  If so, let me know some appropriate way to word
it.  Would be just "code testers"?

        Or just skip it?

On Wed, 2017-05-31 at 13:14 -0600, brynn wrote:
> Hi Friends,
>         Should we put up an announcement about the upcoming hackfest,
> on the
> website and forums?  (I realize it's already been announced on
> mailing list.)

Sounds like a good idea.

>         I found this
> page:  http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Hackfest2017
> But it doesn't give the agenda - only where attendees will meet each
> day.  (The
> Hackfest Topics page isn't written yet.)
>
>         If someone can give me, if not agenda, just a short list of
> potential
> topics, I can write up a quick News item for the website.  Something
> more than
> just - fix bugs, stability, and infrastructure - if possible? (And
> I'll also
> make forum posts.)

I and Mc have added a few things to the topics page. Hopefully others
will add more soon.

>         Apparently we don't need donations so much this time.  But
> (announcing)
> it would still be an opportunity to keep the user community more
> involved --
> even if all they can do is read about it.

Definitely!

>         Speaking of announcing, should we take another shot at
> creating an
> advocacy group or team?  Maybe after the hackfest activity is
> over?  Late July -
> August-ish?

Sounds good.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Tav

> All best,
> brynn

Re: announce hackfest? (advocacy group/team?)

Brynn
Hi - I think this message (below) got lost in the recent flood of list activity.
(Unless the answer is lost to me....  Nope, not in spam folder.)

Regarding the news item announcing hackfest, please read below.

On Wed, 2017-05-31 at 13:14 -0600, brynn wrote:
> Hi Friends,
>         Should we put up an announcement about the upcoming hackfest,
> on the
> website and forums?  (I realize it's already been announced on
> mailing list.)

Sounds like a good idea.

>         I found this
> page:  http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Hackfest2017
> But it doesn't give the agenda - only where attendees will meet each
> day.  (The
> Hackfest Topics page isn't written yet.)
>
>         If someone can give me, if not agenda, just a short list of
> potential
> topics, I can write up a quick News item for the website.  Something
> more than
> just - fix bugs, stability, and infrastructure - if possible? (And
> I'll also
> make forum posts.)

I and Mc have added a few things to the topics page. Hopefully others
will add more soon.

>         Apparently we don't need donations so much this time.  But
> (announcing)
> it would still be an opportunity to keep the user community more
> involved --
> even if all they can do is read about it.

Definitely!

>         Speaking of announcing, should we take another shot at
> creating an
> advocacy group or team?  Maybe after the hackfest activity is
> over?  Late July -
> August-ish?

Sounds good.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Tav

> All best,
> brynn

Re: announce hackfest? first draft

Brynn
Hi again,
        Ok, so nevermind about my previous question.  I found a way to write
around the question I had, since time is growing short for this.

        First draft is ready here:
https://inkscape.org/en/news/unpublished/813/  Please feel free to comment about
needed changes.  Or for those who have access, please feel free to edit it
directly. (and/or publish)

        I'm not sure about the "best wishes" at the end.  But my thinking is
hopefully will make users more excited, and feel more involved (even if all they
do is just read it).

Thanks for comments,

Hi - I think this message (below) got lost in the recent flood of list activity.
(Unless the answer is lost to me....  Nope, not in spam folder.)

Regarding the news item announcing hackfest, please read below.

On Wed, 2017-05-31 at 13:14 -0600, brynn wrote:
> Hi Friends,
>         Should we put up an announcement about the upcoming hackfest,
> on the
> website and forums?  (I realize it's already been announced on
> mailing list.)

Sounds like a good idea.

>         I found this
> page:  http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Hackfest2017
> But it doesn't give the agenda - only where attendees will meet each
> day.  (The
> Hackfest Topics page isn't written yet.)
>
>         If someone can give me, if not agenda, just a short list of
> potential
> topics, I can write up a quick News item for the website.  Something
> more than
> just - fix bugs, stability, and infrastructure - if possible? (And
> I'll also
> make forum posts.)

I and Mc have added a few things to the topics page. Hopefully others
will add more soon.

>         Apparently we don't need donations so much this time.  But
> (announcing)
> it would still be an opportunity to keep the user community more
> involved --
> even if all they can do is read about it.

Definitely!

>         Speaking of announcing, should we take another shot at
> creating an
> advocacy group or team?  Maybe after the hackfest activity is
> over?  Late July -
> August-ish?

Sounds good.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Tav

> All best,
> brynn

Re: announce hackfest? first draft

Tavmjong Bah

Hi brynn,

Thanks for writing this up. A couple of comments:

1. I'm not sure about the "This is not really..." sentence. It seems a
bit negative to me. I think something more like: "If you are serious
about contributing to Inkscape then you are more than welcome to come
participate..."

2. We need an update version of this page:

https://inkscape.org/en/support-us/hackfest-2016/

to point to. There is a donation button at the bottom with the funds
going directly into the "Hackfest" account.

Tav

On Wed, 2017-06-07 at 07:53 -0600, brynn wrote:

> Hi again,
>         Ok, so nevermind about my previous question.  I found a way
> to write
> around the question I had, since time is growing short for this.
>
>         First draft is ready here:
> https://inkscape.org/en/news/unpublished/813/  Please feel free to
> comment about
> needed changes.  Or for those who have access, please feel free to
> edit it
> directly. (and/or publish)
>
>         I'm not sure about the "best wishes" at the end.  But my
> thinking is
> hopefully will make users more excited, and feel more involved (even
> if all they
> do is just read it).
>
> Thanks for comments,
> brynn

Thanks for content suggestions.

Oooh right - I totally forgot about that page!

I could do some small updates to it, like changing dates, times, places, and the
photo.  But it probably won't seem original.  Well, I'll do the best I can, in
the time I have.  I'll update it, and point the news article to it.

Thanks for reminding us, Tav.  We Rrreally need to get that advocacy group
going!

Thanks for writing this up. A couple of comments:

1. I'm not sure about the "This is not really..." sentence. It seems a
bit negative to me. I think something more like: "If you are serious
about contributing to Inkscape then you are more than welcome to come
participate..."

2. We need an update version of this page:

https://inkscape.org/en/support-us/hackfest-2016/

to point to. There is a donation button at the bottom with the funds
going directly into the "Hackfest" account.

Tav

On Wed, 2017-06-07 at 07:53 -0600, brynn wrote:

> Hi again,
>         Ok, so nevermind about my previous question.  I found a way
> to write
> around the question I had, since time is growing short for this.
>
>         First draft is ready here:
> https://inkscape.org/en/news/unpublished/813/  Please feel free to
> comment about
> needed changes.  Or for those who have access, please feel free to
> edit it
> directly. (and/or publish)
>
>         I'm not sure about the "best wishes" at the end.  But my
> thinking is
> hopefully will make users more excited, and feel more involved (even
> if all they
> do is just read it).
>
> Thanks for comments,
> brynn

I've put together this reformed 2017 page:

https://inkscape.org/en/support-us/hackfest-2017/

IT's the bare minimum, but might be enough to continue on with.

But editing would be good, you can post to me directly or edit the page
as needed if you've got some good ideas for replacing the text that's
there.

Martin,

On Thu, 2017-06-08 at 20:35 -0600, brynn wrote:

> Thanks for content suggestions.
>
> Oooh right - I totally forgot about that page!
>
> I could do some small updates to it, like changing dates, times,
> places, and the
> photo.  But it probably won't seem original.  Well, I'll do the best
> I can, in
> the time I have.  I'll update it, and point the news article to it.
>
> Thanks for reminding us, Tav.  We Rrreally need to get that advocacy
> group
> going!
>
> All best,
> brynn

Someone else seems to be working on the updated version of the hackfest page, at
the same time I am.  I finished copying the 2016 page, making a new one beside
it, pasting in the 2016 content, and updating it (choosing new image, changing
links).  When I clicked Create, the new page was blank.  When I went to try and
find it, I found another new page, very different from mine.  So nice wasted
hour.

All that needs to be done to finish the News item, is to change the link to the
Donate page, to the new 2017 page.  Then it can be published.

Thanks for writing this up. A couple of comments:

1. I'm not sure about the "This is not really..." sentence. It seems a
bit negative to me. I think something more like: "If you are serious
about contributing to Inkscape then you are more than welcome to come
participate..."

2. We need an update version of this page:

https://inkscape.org/en/support-us/hackfest-2016/

to point to. There is a donation button at the bottom with the funds
going directly into the "Hackfest" account.

Tav

On Wed, 2017-06-07 at 07:53 -0600, brynn wrote:

> Hi again,
>         Ok, so nevermind about my previous question.  I found a way
> to write
> around the question I had, since time is growing short for this.
>
>         First draft is ready here:
> https://inkscape.org/en/news/unpublished/813/  Please feel free to
> comment about
> needed changes.  Or for those who have access, please feel free to
> edit it
> directly. (and/or publish)
>
>         I'm not sure about the "best wishes" at the end.  But my
> thinking is
> hopefully will make users more excited, and feel more involved (even
> if all they
> do is just read it).
>
> Thanks for comments,
> brynn

Oh, I see.  See my earlier message about this.  I've already spent a long time
making a page that turned out blank.  (Might still be on my clipboard, but now I
can't seem to add content on a new page, to try and save it.)  It seems we were
both editing at the same time, perhaps deleting each other's stuff, I'm not
sure.

Anyway I'll stop, so I don't cause a serious problem.

On Thu, 2017-06-08 at 21:56 -0600, brynn wrote:

> Oh, I see.  See my earlier message about this.  I've already spent a
> long time
> making a page that turned out blank.  (Might still be on my
> clipboard, but now I
> can't seem to add content on a new page, to try and save it.)  It
> seems we were
> both editing at the same time, perhaps deleting each other's stuff,
> I'm not
> sure.
>
> Anyway I'll stop, so I don't cause a serious problem.

Brynn, looks like we were both fighting on that page. I spent an hour
updating the page, saved... and the page disappeared. I had to recreate
it.

Sorry about the confusion. I'd said I'd make the page at the meeting
last week, but I understand why you jumped in to make it and I'm happy
you did.

Re: announce hackfest? first draft

Maren Hachmann
Brynn, Martin - do you think the picture of everyone munching is ideal
to get donations for a hackfest? Just saying...

Please let translators know when the page is finalized.

Kind Regards,
 Maren

Am 09.06.2017 um 06:21 schrieb Martin Owens:

> On Thu, 2017-06-08 at 21:56 -0600, brynn wrote:
>> Oh, I see.  See my earlier message about this.  I've already spent a
>> long time
>> making a page that turned out blank.  (Might still be on my
>> clipboard, but now I
>> can't seem to add content on a new page, to try and save it.)  It
>> seems we were
>> both editing at the same time, perhaps deleting each other's stuff,
>> I'm not
>> sure.
>>
>> Anyway I'll stop, so I don't cause a serious problem.
>
> Brynn, looks like we were both fighting on that page. I spent an hour
> updating the page, saved... and the page disappeared. I had to recreate
> it.
>
> Sorry about the confusion. I'd said I'd make the page at the meeting
> last week, but I understand why you jumped in to make it and I'm happy
> you did.

Re: announce hackfest? first draft

I was answering Tav's reply to my post about having the draft ready for the
News, where he commented that we needed a new page for 2017.

I guess what's really bizarre is that we were literally simultaneously working
on the same thing, since you had been planning to do it for some time -- and I
was just coincidentally answering my email!

I read the transcript for the meeting, but not very closely.  So I just missed
it.

I'm not sure if my page wasn't saved properly was because of something you did,
or there's a problem with the editor, or it won't allow 2 people in there at the
same time?   But I had a page made that was alongside the 2015 and 2016 pages.
But when I clicked Create at the bottom, the result was blank.
https://inkscape.org/en/admin/cms/page/1013/en/preview/
You can see that the footer is extended down, as if something were taking up
space.  Because a blank page has the footer practically connected with the man
menu.  So it seems as if there is some content somewhere??

I was also having a problem editing links, where I would select a link >
right-click > edit cms plugin and it would be a blank window.  So I couldn't do
anything with it.  I was leaving highlighted comments asking someone else to fix
the links.

Should I report either one of those things?  Or does both of us being in there
at the same time explain it?

On Thu, 2017-06-08 at 21:56 -0600, brynn wrote:

> Oh, I see.  See my earlier message about this.  I've already spent a
> long time
> making a page that turned out blank.  (Might still be on my
> clipboard, but now I
> can't seem to add content on a new page, to try and save it.)  It
> seems we were
> both editing at the same time, perhaps deleting each other's stuff,
> I'm not
> sure.
>
> Anyway I'll stop, so I don't cause a serious problem.

Brynn, looks like we were both fighting on that page. I spent an hour
updating the page, saved... and the page disappeared. I had to recreate
it.

Sorry about the confusion. I'd said I'd make the page at the meeting
last week, but I understand why you jumped in to make it and I'm happy
you did.

Re: announce hackfest? first draft

I was talking about the News item, which has no images.

For the HF 2017 page, I also agree about the lunch photo.  I was planning to use
this one

https://inkscape.org/en/~doctormo/%E2%98%85at-the-hackfest

On Fri, 2017-06-09 at 20:57 +0200, Maren Hachmann wrote:
> Brynn, Martin - do you think the picture of everyone munching is
> ideal
> to get donations for a hackfest? Just saying...
>
> Please let translators know when the page is finalized.

I think it's a matter of taste, I'm not a target for the hackfest page,
so if you have a better image. Then it should be used.

I would have liked to have used the svg with us all posed. But I
couldn't get it to work, might need to grab the jpeg from inside of it.

I'm going to leave the pages alone for now though, so please do edit.
(either brynn or Maren)

Re: announce hackfest? first draft

Sylvain Chiron
Hi,

Referring to the website structure: I don’t think a hackfest page from
the menu is a good idea, because those pages are meant to be static,
whereas the hackfest is a dated event. So there should only be news
items about the 2017 hackfest, and links to them in the static Hackfests
page: https://inkscape.org/en/support-us/hackfests/

It’s already organized like that on the current Hackfests page (and I
may be responsible for it, I’m not completely sure).

Best regards,

Sylvain

Le 10/06/2017 à 19:00, Martin Owens a écrit :

> On Fri, 2017-06-09 at 20:57 +0200, Maren Hachmann wrote:
>> Brynn, Martin - do you think the picture of everyone munching is
>> ideal
>> to get donations for a hackfest? Just saying...
>>
>> Please let translators know when the page is finalized.
>
> I think it's a matter of taste, I'm not a target for the hackfest page,
> so if you have a better image. Then it should be used.
>
> I would have liked to have used the svg with us all posed. But I
> couldn't get it to work, might need to grab the jpeg from inside of it.
>
> I'm going to leave the pages alone for now though, so please do edit.
> (either brynn or Maren)

Re: announce hackfest? first draft

Maren Hachmann
Hi Sylvain,

thanks for your feedback.
We have actually made that identical decision yesterday :)

(i.e. the only remaining thing that needs to be done is to remove the
year-specific hackfest page again - it is not needed).

Kind Regards,
 Maren

Am 12.06.2017 um 19:27 schrieb Sylvain Chiron:

> Hi,
>
> Referring to the website structure: I don’t think a hackfest page from
> the menu is a good idea, because those pages are meant to be static,
> whereas the hackfest is a dated event. So there should only be news
> items about the 2017 hackfest, and links to them in the static Hackfests
> page: https://inkscape.org/en/support-us/hackfests/
>
> It’s already organized like that on the current Hackfests page (and I
> may be responsible for it, I’m not completely sure).
>
> Best regards,
>
> Sylvain
>
> Le 10/06/2017 à 19:00, Martin Owens a écrit :
>> On Fri, 2017-06-09 at 20:57 +0200, Maren Hachmann wrote:
>>> Brynn, Martin - do you think the picture of everyone munching is
>>> ideal
>>> to get donations for a hackfest? Just saying...
>>>
>>> Please let translators know when the page is finalized.
>>
>> I think it's a matter of taste, I'm not a target for the hackfest page,
>> so if you have a better image. Then it should be used.
>>
>> I would have liked to have used the svg with us all posed. But I
>> couldn't get it to work, might need to grab the jpeg from inside of it.
>>
>> I'm going to leave the pages alone for now though, so please do edit.
>> (either brynn or Maren)
>>
>> Best Regards, Martin Owens

Re: announce hackfest? first draft

Brynn
I've just removed the page I made (which was blank anyway).  Didn't want to
delete the one Martin made.  But if it's agreed all the way around, I don't mind
doing the deletion.

We have actually made that identical decision yesterday :)

(i.e. the only remaining thing that needs to be done is to remove the
year-specific hackfest page again - it is not needed).

Kind Regards,
Maren

Am 12.06.2017 um 19:27 schrieb Sylvain Chiron:

> Hi,
>
> Referring to the website structure: I don’t think a hackfest page from
> the menu is a good idea, because those pages are meant to be static,
> whereas the hackfest is a dated event. So there should only be news
> items about the 2017 hackfest, and links to them in the static Hackfests
> page: https://inkscape.org/en/support-us/hackfests/
>
> It’s already organized like that on the current Hackfests page (and I
> may be responsible for it, I’m not completely sure).
>
> Best regards,
>
> Sylvain
>
> Le 10/06/2017 à 19:00, Martin Owens a écrit :
>> On Fri, 2017-06-09 at 20:57 +0200, Maren Hachmann wrote:
>>> Brynn, Martin - do you think the picture of everyone munching is
>>> ideal
>>> to get donations for a hackfest? Just saying...
>>>
>>> Please let translators know when the page is finalized.
>>
>> I think it's a matter of taste, I'm not a target for the hackfest page,
>> so if you have a better image. Then it should be used.
>>
>> I would have liked to have used the svg with us all posed. But I
>> couldn't get it to work, might need to grab the jpeg from inside of it.
>>
>> I'm going to leave the pages alone for now though, so please do edit.
>> (either brynn or Maren)
>>
>> Best Regards, Martin Owens

12