arrow head pointing wrong way

Rich E
Hi,

I am trying to draw a simple line, from left to right, with an arrow on the end, like this:  ----------------->

I make the line, go to Fill and Stroke properties, seld an end marker and I get something like this --------------------^
(the arrow head is pointing upwards to the end of the line).

what is going on... you would think it would point away from the end of the line, but it is point at the end of line, perpendicular to it.

regards,
Rich

Re: arrow head pointing wrong way

zbharucha
Somehow, you the nodes messed up. Click on the "edit paths by nodes"
button and play around with the node closest to the tip of the head.
That will solve your problem (hopefully).

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 11:56 PM, Rich E <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to draw a simple line, from left to right, with an arrow on the
> end, like this:  ----------------->
>
> I make the line, go to Fill and Stroke properties, seld an end marker and I
> get something like this --------------------^
> (the arrow head is pointing upwards to the end of the line).
>
> what is going on... you would think it would point away from the end of the
> line, but it is point at the end of line, perpendicular to it.
>
> regards,
> Rich

Re: arrow head pointing wrong way

Rich E
I see.  thanks for the tip.

regards,
Rich

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 1:10 AM, Zubin Bharucha <[hidden email]> wrote:
Somehow, you the nodes messed up. Click on the "edit paths by nodes"
button and play around with the node closest to the tip of the head.
That will solve your problem (hopefully).

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 11:56 PM, Rich E <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to draw a simple line, from left to right, with an arrow on the
> end, like this:  ----------------->
>
> I make the line, go to Fill and Stroke properties, seld an end marker and I
> get something like this --------------------^
> (the arrow head is pointing upwards to the end of the line).
>
> what is going on... you would think it would point away from the end of the
> line, but it is point at the end of line, perpendicular to it.
>
> regards,
> Rich

Re: arrow head pointing wrong way

Cybernetic1

Create a closed path with a twist in the middle as shown above.  Then in "stroke style --> marker" choose the arrow in the *middle*.  That adds 4 arrowheads to the path.

Notice that the upper-right arrowhead's direction is very unnatural.  No matter how I tweak the handles around that node, the arrowhead cannot be aligned in the correct direction.  It can however, be aligned to the *opposite* direction.  The arrowhead seems to "jump" when it is near the correct direction, escaping it no matter how I turn the 2 handles.

Using Inkscape 0.91 r13725, on Ubuntu Linux.