Quantcast

arrows

ToddAndMargo
Hi All,

Not to ask too stupid a question, but can I draw arrows with arrow heads
and straight lines at any angle with Inkscape?  Like:

    4 ---------->

Many thanks,
-T

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am Windows

On 02/03/2017 04:49 PM, Chris Tooley wrote:
I'm not certain if this is what you're looking for, but if you draw a line, open "fill and stroke" you can choose arrow endpoint markers under the "stroke style" tab.  The size of the arrow is determined by the size of the stroke.

I will give it a try.  What I am after is something that doesn't look like
a child's doodle.

Thank you!

Re: arrows

Robert Funnell
On Sat, 4 Feb 2017, ToddAndMargo wrote:

>       On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 4:22 PM, ToddAndMargo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>             Hi All,
>
>             Not to ask too stupid a question, but can I draw arrows with arrow heads
>             and straight lines at any angle with Inkscape?  Like:
>
>                 4 ---------->
>

>             Many thanks,
>             -T
>

> On 02/03/2017 04:49 PM, Chris Tooley wrote:
>       I'm not certain if this is what you're looking for, but if you draw a line, open "fill and stroke"
>       you can choose arrow endpoint markers under the "stroke style" tab.  The size of the arrow is
>       determined by the size of the stroke.
>

> I will give it a try.  What I am after is something that doesn't look like
> a child's doodle.
>
> Thank you!
If you're getting a doodle it's probably because you're using the tool
labelled 'Draw freehand lines'. Have you tried using the tool labelled
'Draw Bezier curves and straight lines'?

- Robert

Re: arrows

Chris Tooley
When you say "child's doodle" are you referring to the line or the arrow?

If you're referring to the arrow part, there are many different endpoints for the arrow you can choose, but if they're unsatisfactory, you might want to make your own arrow head :)

If you're referring to the line itself, I would suggest getting familiar with the "bezier tool", which you can see in use here: https://youtu.be/AAgWhnf_p3k

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 5:10 PM, ToddAndMargo <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 4:22 PM, ToddAndMargo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

Not to ask too stupid a question, but can I draw arrows with arrow heads
and straight lines at any angle with Inkscape?  Like:

    4 ---------->

Many thanks,
-T

On 02/03/2017 04:49 PM, Chris Tooley wrote:
I'm not certain if this is what you're looking for, but if you draw a line, open "fill and stroke" you can choose arrow endpoint markers under the "stroke style" tab.  The size of the arrow is determined by the size of the stroke.

I will give it a try.  What I am after is something that doesn't look like
a child's doodle.

Thank you!

Re: arrows

ToddAndMargo
On 02/03/2017 04:49 PM, Chris Tooley wrote:
> open "fill and stroke"

I can't find it   :'(   :'(

Re: arrows

ToddAndMargo
On 02/06/2017 07:13 PM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
> On 02/03/2017 04:49 PM, Chris Tooley wrote:
>> open "fill and stroke"
> I can't find it   :'(   :'(

Found it, but how do I get it to draw something?

Re: arrows

ToddAndMargo
On 02/03/2017 05:36 PM, Robert Funnell wrote:
> 'Draw Bezier curves and straight lines'

I can't find it

Re: arrows

David Lang
On Mon, 6 Feb 2017, ToddAndMargo wrote:

> On 02/03/2017 05:36 PM, Robert Funnell wrote:
>> 'Draw Bezier curves and straight lines'
>
> I can't find it

you first draw any sort of line using normal drawing tools, then you select that
line and with that line selected, then you go to the menu to set the arrow.

David Lang

Re: arrows

ToddAndMargo
On 02/06/2017 07:27 PM, David Lang wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Feb 2017, ToddAndMargo wrote:
>
>> On 02/03/2017 05:36 PM, Robert Funnell wrote:
>>> 'Draw Bezier curves and straight lines'
>> I can't find it
> you first draw any sort of line using normal drawing tools, then you select that
> line and with that line selected, then you go to the menu to set the arrow.
>
> David Lang

Thank you!  I figured it out.

Now to figure out the line width and color.

Re: arrows

On Mon, 2017-02-06 at 19:43 -0800, ToddAndMargo wrote:
> Thank you!  I figured it out.
>
> Now to figure out the line width and color.

I'm going to send you some Video tutorials Todd or Margo,

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Inkscape

Most of the videos therein will show you were different parts of the
program are and how to use them. They're well worth watching for their
visual explanations and impressive skills that can be learned quickly.

Re: arrows

ToddAndMargo
On 02/06/2017 09:27 PM, Martin Owens wrote:

> On Mon, 2017-02-06 at 19:43 -0800, ToddAndMargo wrote:
>> Thank you!  I figured it out.
>>
>> Now to figure out the line width and color.
> I'm going to send you some Video tutorials Todd or Margo,
>
> https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Inkscape
>
> Most of the videos therein will show you were different parts of the
> program are and how to use them. They're well worth watching for their
> visual explanations and impressive skills that can be learned quickly.
>
> Best Regards, Martin Owens

Thank you Martin!