[brett@sfconservancy.org: Rackspace OSS discount ends at the end of the year]

Bryce Harrington-3
FYI.  Although, this doesn't affect us.

----- Forwarded message from Brett Smith <[hidden email]> -----

Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 09:46:41 -0400
From: Brett Smith <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Rackspace OSS discount ends at the end of the year

Hi everyone,

I have good news and bad news for you today, so I’ll start with the bad
news. Many of you are relying on Rackspace’s OSS discount to host
servers for your project. Unfortunately, Rackspace just informed us
yesterday that they’ll be ending the program at the end of the year. The
entire business is shifting focus away from running their own cloud
infrastructure, to providing support in the Big Three clouds, so as part
of that they’re ending incentive programs structured around their cloud.

Conservancy hosts our own servers through this program, and so we’re
already reaching out to other cloud providers to see if they might be
willing to offer something similar. We realize it would be ideal if we
could find a similar replacement program that covers each of you
separately, and we’ll be trying to do that first. If you have contacts
at hosting providers that we should be talking to about providing such a
service, please let us know; this is a big enough deal that we’re eager
to talk to anybody who might help. If they’re sufficiently generous, we
may consider recognizing them as an in-kind sponsor on our web site.

If you’re affected by this, it would probably be prudent to start
planning how you’ll migrate your servers off Rackspace to another
provider. I realize that’s difficult to fully plan without knowing where
you’re going, but at least it would be helpful to review your system
configurations and make sure you understand what you need to migrate.
You might also consider if there are ways you could consolidate or
streamline your servers. Rackspace’s OSS discount program is /extremely/
generous; we might find a similar program that is merely /very/ generous.

Alternatively, if you’re willing to pay Rackspace for hosting, you can
do that too if you have the funds. Your Rackspace bills (which are
usually zeroed about by the discount) are in our Subversion server along
with the rest of your financial records, usually under
|Expenses/Rackspace/|. If you need help with accessing that, just let me
know.

If you don’t currently have an OSS discount account with Rackspace, but
you were thinking about getting one, I’m afraid that’s no longer available.

If you want to talk with us about this change for any reason, it’s
probably best to do so through your specific project alias. I’m
following all those conversations and can follow up there. I’ll keep you
updated about our progress in finding a replacement program.

Best regards,

--
Brett Smith

----- End forwarded message -----