command-line tools for JessyInk

Xyne
Hi everyone,

On a few occasions when I needed a pdf document, I have been unable to export
JessyInk presentations using the usual procedure due to Inkscape freezing when
opening the Firefox-exported files. I ended up writing a little Python module
and command-line tool to directly export the slides from the command line. Some
of you may find it useful, especially when you have a deadline a few hours way
and Inkscape suddenly chokes on your presentation ;)

It supports JessyInk effects and views and exports each slide+effect/view as a
separate svg file. These can then be converted directly with Inkscape on the
command line to the format of your choice (e.g. with "inkscape -A ...").
Because it uses Inkscape to render the final slides, the slides appear
exactly as designed in Inkscape.

The script also includes functionality (via various subcommands) to extract,
embed or deduplicate images, scrub sodipodi:absref attributes and unused defs,
deduplicate markers[1], etc. The list will likely continue to grow.

There is also a ji2pdf wrapper script to generate a pdf presentation from the
JessyInk svg file. ji2pdf depends on pdfunite from poppler but could easily be
changed to use another method to join resulting slides (e.g. imagemagick).

There's also a wrapper script based on PhantomJS in the source archive but
I haven't used it since writing ji2pdf.

For an up-to-date list of features, check the help message on the project
page[2]. Packages are available on Arch Linux (via the AUR[3] and my repos[4]).

If any of the Inkscape or JessyInk devs are reading this, thanks for all your
work!

Regards,
Xyne

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1550902
[2] http://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/svgtools/
[3] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/svgtools/
[4] http://xyne.archlinux.ca/repos/

Re: command-line tools for JessyInk

Vasco
Dear Xine,
Thank you for writing this. In the past, I had quite some troubles with
JessyInk presentations, including embedding/extracting images, clones
and very slow pdf export.

To help with linking and exporting, I wrote two small scripts.
https://bitbucket.org/vascotenner/inkscape-link-images
https://bitbucket.org/vascotenner/svg2pdf

Hopefully, they are superseded now by svgtools.

How can I install them on other systems? Can I clone a git repository?
Or install them via PIP? After some searching I found this link to the
arch package, which I can unpack (can I unpack this easily on windows?)

http://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/svgtools/src/svgtools-2017.3.20.1.tar.xz

Kind regards,
Vasco Tenner

Vasco wrote:

>How can I install them on other systems? Can I clone a git repository?
>Or install them via PIP? After some searching I found this link to the
>arch package, which I can unpack (can I unpack this easily on windows?)
>
>http://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/svgtools/src/svgtools-2017.3.20.1.tar.xz

The sources are currently only available via archives on my site in the
following directory:

http://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/svgtools/src/

Making my local git repos available via my site and third-party hosting is on my
todo list but I don't know when I will get to it.

The source archives include a setup.py script so it should be easy to install
the package on any system that already has Python. The module can be also
be invoked directly via e.g. "python ./SvgImgMgr.py -h" without installation to
a Python path.

7-zip[1] can be used to unpack the xz-compressed archives on windows.

Regards,
Xyne

[1] http://www.7-zip.org/