Quantcast

false positive virus on 0.92 Windows 64-bit, exe installer

false positive virus on 0.92 Windows 64-bit, exe installer

Brynn
Hi Friends,
        We've had 2 separate reports now (at Inkscape Community), on 0.92 for
Windows, 64-bit, exe installer, of a false positive for a virus.  Both users are
using a security program called 360 Total Security.
        Should we try and contact them so they can fix it?
        Just from a quick search, it looks like it might be a fairly popular
program (although I had never heard of it before).  And 2 reports are just 2 who
bothered to report it.  It's easy to imagine there must be people who didn't
report, and just didn't install it.

Re: false positive virus on 0.92 Windows 64-bit, exe installer

Eduard Braun
Am 07.02.2017 um 13:00 schrieb brynn:

> Hi Friends,
>          We've had 2 separate reports now (at Inkscape Community), on 0.92 for
> Windows, 64-bit, exe installer, of a false positive for a virus.  Both users are
> using a security program called 360 Total Security.
>          Should we try and contact them so they can fix it?
>          Just from a quick search, it looks like it might be a fairly popular
> program (although I had never heard of it before).  And 2 reports are just 2 who
> bothered to report it.  It's easy to imagine there must be people who didn't
> report, and just didn't install it.
>
> Thanks,
> brynn

Hi brynn,

Relevant bug report (I don't know if this was one of thetwo reports):
https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1658812

It's only this specific virus scanner and only for the 64-bit .msi
installer (see Virustotal reports in the bug). All other downloads are
unaffected.

If you want feel free to contact them (I didn't know that Virusscanner
either and I doubt it's that popular, so I didn't bother to take action
in the first place).

Regards,
Eduard

---

Re: false positive virus on 0.92 Windows 64-bit, exe installer

Brynn
Yes, it looks like that's one of the 2 reported.

The reason I thought it looked like it might be popular, is that according to my
search, it can be download from a whole lot of different sites, some very
reputable sites, including Microsoft.  (I also saw some complaints about it,
similar to the complaints about Norton/Symantec, where after it's uninstalled,
certain parts won't go away, they keep coming back after being deleted.)

Maybe I'll wait and see.  If there's a 3rd report, then maybe I'll try to
contact them.

Thanks for your comments  :-)