how to ID a 7z version from Inkscape window?

how to ID a 7z version from Inkscape window?

Brynn
Hi Friends,
        Trying to help someone in a forum, I was trying to figure out whether
the version of Inkscape which would open on double-clicking an SVG file had been
installed via EXE installer, and which one wasn't technically installed, but was
from an unpacked 7z download.  I wanted to know which one was associated with
SVG files.
        As far as I can tell, the About screens are identical.  Is there some
way to know which version you're using?
        I tried searching LP, but couldn't find some good search terms.
        So how to tell which 64-bit version version you have open, if you have
both 64-bit exe installed and 7z onboard and unpacked?

Thank you very much,

Re: how to ID a 7z version from Inkscape window?

alvinpenner
not sure if this will always work or not, but on my Windows 10 machine this worked:

- left mouse button click on Start Button
- type in the word Inkscape
- see an entry that says Inkscape, with Run Command below it
- do a right mouse button click on this and then click on "Open File Location"
- this will take you to the directory where it is installed

hth,
Alvin

Re: how to ID a 7z version from Inkscape window?

Brynn
Hi Alvin,
        Thanks for the info.
        By following your steps, I see that, well first, it's a little different
for Windows 7, but also, if I have only one instance of Inkscape open, and I
somehow forget which one it is, I can find out by your steps.
        But if I have one installed version open and one 7z version open, (or
more of either) I don't see how I can tell them apart.  The Start menu search
result gives both of them.

        Well, maybe it doesn't matter.  I was just curious.

Thanks again,

Re: how to ID a 7z version from Inkscape window?

alvinpenner
I just did a bit of experimenting and found out that you can get some interesting information from Task Manager. Attached is a screenshot of what Task Manager shows if you have two instances of Inkscape open. First of all it tells you which file is open in each case. Secondly, if you do a right button click on Inkscape in each case, there is a menu item called 'Open File Location' which will tell you which directory that particular Inkscape version is in.
Inkscape_ver.png
Alvin

Re: how to ID a 7z version from Inkscape window?

Brynn
Nice!  Yes, that's better than using the Start menu, because if it's a file
that's been named, you can ID right away.  But even if it hasn't been saved yet,
you can still find out!

Thanks for taking the time to help  :-)

I just did a bit of experimenting and found out that you can get some
interesting information from Task Manager. Attached is a screenshot of what
Task Manager shows if you have two instances of Inkscape open. First of all
it tells you which file is open in each case. Secondly, if you do a right
button click on Inkscape in each case, there is a menu item called 'Open
File Location' which will tell you which directory that particular Inkscape
version is in.
Inkscape_ver.png
<http://inkscape.13.x6.nabble.com/file/n4979219/Inkscape_ver.png>
Alvin