Quantcast

how to uninstall

Brynn
Hi Friends,
        I recently installed Inkscape 0.91, 32-bit, exe installer on a brand new
Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit computer.  However, it doesn't show up in Programs and
Features or the Start menu.  So I can't figure out how to uninstall it.
        I looked in the installation directory, because in some programs, I've
seen an uninstall.exe file.  But I don't find that in this case.
        How can I uninstall this?
        (Note that I recently was discussing about having multiple versions
installed, but that's on an old computer.  This is happening on a new computer,
where this is the only version I have installed.  I do have a 7z version of
another version, but it's my understanding that the zip file programs are not
technically installed.)

Thanks for your help,

Re: how to uninstall

Victor Westmann
Hi Brynn,

since I'm a long time Windows user I can try to help you (even though I'm on a Mac right now).

I believe that if you go to Start > Execute... > type "explorer" (hit enter).

You will get to Windows explorer. There, go to C:\Program Files\Inkscape
Or it could also be C:\Program Files(x86)\Inkscape.

In these folders there might be a uninstall.exe or uninstall.msi file.

Let me know if these instructions worked or if you need further guidance.

Merry Christmas to you and all Inkscape users worldwide!

--Victor Westmann

[...]

Hi Victor,
Thanks, and jingle bells  :-D

Perhaps I didn't use proper terminology and you didn't understand me.  But I've
already tried that.  There is no uninstall.exe (or uninst.exe, which I've seen
in some programs) or uninstall.msi.  And since it doesn't show up in Start > All
Programs, I can't uninstall from there either.

I might add that I've tried installing Inkscape again, and put in a separate
folder.  And that one does show up in Programs and Features and therefore can be
uninstalled.  And I did uninstall it, after that test.

So I guess something must have gone wrong when I installed the first time.  But
I would like to get rid of it, and install a copy that contains the proper way
of uninstalling.  I just don't know how to do it, without any of the usual ways
being available.

[...]

Training and support from Colfax.

Re: how to uninstall

Brynn
I'm still looking to uninstall this.  Does anyone know how to handle it?

I've always heard that you should not delete any program which was installed
with exe installer, because it really would not be uninstalled.  So I hesitate
to delete it.  But I don't know what else to do.

Also, I wonder if this might point to a problem with the installer.  I'm pretty
sure I know what caused it.  When I installed it, I changed the name of the
folder where it wanted to put it.  The installer wanted to put it in a folder
called "Inkscape".  But I wanted the version number (because eventually I'll
have more than 1 version) so I changed it to "Inkscape 091".

I don't know why the installer allows that to be changed, if it's going to cause
a problem.  But I'd be happy just to get it uninstalled.

Any Windows user who has an idea?

Thanks again,

Re: how to uninstall

Victor Westmann

Hy there.

Schones Neues Jarh!

Indeed this is uncommon. A terrible solution would be to try to reinstall all files and then copy the log files of where all files where copied to and then manually remove them. :(

If you don't have any icon in control panel,  start menu, desktop or inside the main program folder I would assume deleting is not terrible... but yew it would leace some lost files behind.

Tough question! Wish you luck.

On Jan 1, 2017 1:52 AM, "brynn" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hhmm....  I don't understand what you mean about the log files.  But for a
"terrible solution" it's probably not worth explaining.  Well, thanks anyway
Victor.

Maybe a bug report would be the best way to go?

All best

Fyi, bug report submitted:  https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1653547

Re: how to uninstall

Raymond Wan
Hi Brynn,

On Sun, Jan 1, 2017 at 5:50 PM, brynn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've always heard that you should not delete any program which was installed
> with exe installer, because it really would not be uninstalled.  So I hesitate
> to delete it.  But I don't know what else to do.

This rule is a good rule to live by, but isn't 100% accurate.

It actually depends whether the exe installer copies files to a single
location (in which case, you can just delete that entire folder) or if
it:

1)  copies files to multiple locations and/or
2)  updates the Windows registry (i.e., the internal database that
gives information about programs, etc.)

The problem is that with an exe installer, you don't know which has
been done since the installation process is hidden by a pretty graphic
indicating installation progress.  If it lists all the changes done to
the system, then you'd be able to make an informed choice.

Would the installation process have created a log file?  If it did,
that would give you some hints on how to "undo" what it has done.

> I don't know why the installer allows that to be changed, if it's going to cause
> a problem.  But I'd be happy just to get it uninstalled.

Many installers allow users to change the installation folder.  I
don't think this alone is a bug.

But by preventing you to uninstall when you change the installation
folder, that would be a bug, I guess.

If no one can give you a better opinion than mine, then one thing you
could *consider* is:

1)  Remove the "Inkscape 091" folder.
2)  Restart the computer
3)  Install into "Inkscape"

It isn't an ideal situation, but I said one of the worries is that it
"copied files to multiple locations"...well, if there were files
placed outside of "Inkscape 091", then it seems you changing the
installation directory had no effect.  Thus, installing it again won't
cause any harm...it should overwrite.  Likewise with the other worry:
the Windows registry.  It'll just overwrite.

That is something you could try, but I can't guarantee to you this is
safe.  But something to consider if no one can give you a more helpful
reply than this to you and if that "Inkscape 091" is really bothering
you.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Ray

Re: how to uninstall

Paul A. Bristow-2
If all else fails, and you need the nuclear option you can delete all folders and files, and registry entries to do with Inkscape.

If you can make an image backup this is safest to give you a way back if you make a mistake.

At least create a 'restore point'.

Use windows explorer file manager and look for folders called C:/program files and C:/program (x86) and delete everything in any
folders called Inkscape.

You could also search (right most Windwso explorer box) for Inkscape.

Delete any shortcuts, on desktop or taskbar.

(You might want to keep or take notes about any files containing your recent files?

The used the registry editor program run  regedit  and go to HKET_CURRENT_USER and use the Edit, Find  option to look for all
entries that mention inscape.  Delete all you find.

Press palms together hard ;-)

Now reboot and then install your desired new version.

Good luck.

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse
Kendal UK LA8 8AB
+44 (0) 1539 561830

Re: how to uninstall

Brynn
Thanks Paul and Raymond,
        I finally posted a bug report about this, which got a response.  The
solution was to install Inkscape again, right into the same folder.  That made
it show up in Programs and Features, and when I uninstalled it, everything was
finally gone!
        I guess I don't really think it is a bug.  I think it was just a random
glitch during installation.
        But anyway, thanks for your time and attention to this.  I'll be sure
and save your comments though, in case I run into this problem again (with any
program, not just Inkscape).
        Thanks again, I really appreciate it!