how to update an Inkscape repository

alvinpenner
about 6 months ago I created a fork of the inkscape code at:
https://gitlab.com/alvinpenner/inkscape

1. now that is obsolete, and I would like to sync it with current Inkscape
to bring it uptodate. Is there a button for this?

2. alternatively, I would like to delete the repository and start over. Can
I delete it?

3. also, the original Fork button that I used appears to be gone, is it
still possible to fork code?

sorry about the numerous questions, but I just spent 2 hours searching for
these things and cannot find them, the gitlab website seems to have been
redesigned since I last used it.

Alvin

--
Sent from: http://inkscape.13.x6.nabble.com/Inkscape-Dev-f2781808.html

Re: how to update an Inkscape repository

Eduard Braun

Hi Alvin

Am 13.01.2018 um 12:38 schrieb alvinpenner:
1. now that is obsolete, and I would like to sync it with current Inkscape
to bring it uptodate. Is there a button for this?
There is some functionality to do this via the GitLab GUI, see Settings -> Repository -> Pull from a remote repository (I've never used any of them, though)

The typical workflow (assuming you have a local checkout of the repository on your computer) would be to
  1. add the original Inkscape repository as a "remote"
    git remote add remote-name repository-url
  2. then pull current code from the Inkscape repository
    git pull --rebase remote-name remote-branch
  3. and finally push the changes to you fork.
    git push your-remote

2. alternatively, I would like to delete the repository and start over. Can
I delete it?
Settings -> Repository ->General -> Advanced Settings -> Remove project

3. also, the original Fork button that I used appears to be gone, is it
still possible to fork code?
It's still there in the header at https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape
(under the project logo / name, second button from the left)

Regards,
Eduard

Re: how to update an Inkscape repository

Marc Jeanmougin

The automatic option on gitlab is to keep a personal copy in sync
("mirrored") with the original repo (but stops when you start doing
local changes in your copy, iirc (does not rebase or merge), so overall
I mostly use git pull too) which should be at
https://gitlab.com/alvinpenner/inkscape/settings/repository

--
Mc

On 01/13/2018 01:26 PM, Eduard Braun wrote:

> Hi Alvin
>

> Am 13.01.2018 um 12:38 schrieb alvinpenner:
>> 1. now that is obsolete, and I would like to sync it with current Inkscape
>> to bring it uptodate. Is there a button for this?
> There is some functionality to do this via the GitLab GUI, see Settings
> -> Repository -> Pull from a remote repository (I've never used any of
> them, though)
>
> The typical workflow (assuming you have a local checkout of the
> repository on your computer) would be to
>
>  1. add the original Inkscape repository as a "remote"
>     |git remote add /remote-name/ /repository-url/|
>  2. then pull current code from the Inkscape repository
>     |git pull --rebase ||/remote-name remote-branch
>     /|
>  3. and finally push the changes to you fork.
>     |git push /your//-remote/
>

>> 2. alternatively, I would like to delete the repository and start over. Can
>> I delete it?
> Settings -> Repository ->General -> Advanced Settings -> Remove project
>
>> 3. also, the original Fork button that I used appears to be gone, is it
>> still possible to fork code?
> It's still there in the header at https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape
> (under the project logo / name, second button from the left)
>
> Regards,
> Eduard

Re: how to update an Inkscape repository

alvinpenner
thanks for the fast response and the helpful advice. I was able to
successfully delete my old repository and used the Fork button to create a
new one. Learned two useful things about the Fork button today.

1. the Fork button does not exist if you are not signed in, which I mostly
was not, so that is why I could not seem to find it.

2. if you already have an existing Fork, then the Fork button simply takes
you to your own fork, which is obsolete, so that is not very helpful. The
gitlab gui could use some love here. However, if you delete your fork, then
you are allowed to create a new one, so that is what I did. That took about
5-10 minutes but since I am doing this only every 6 months, I don't care.

so I think I am up and running with a brand new clone, thanks for all your
help.

Alvin

--
Sent from: http://inkscape.13.x6.nabble.com/Inkscape-Dev-f2781808.html