inkscape-0.91pre4 source tarball

Bryce Harrington-3
Download it at:

    https://inkscape.org/en/download/

Tagged on the release branch as:

    INKSCAPE_0_91_PRE4

This likely is the last pre-release before our official release.  There
are a few more remaining changes that Josh and I are aware of, but
nothing to cause undue delay.  Hopefully the release will be finalized
within the coming week.

Please make sure any bugs you find are properly recorded in the bug
tracker[1].  If you find particularly serious issues, please also make
sure the issue (and any work-arounds) are detailed in our Release
Notes[2], and hopefully we can tackle them in future point releases.

Packagers, if you haven't already I recommend using this release as an
opportunity to try out the new package upload system on the main
website.  Make sure to set your uploads as Mirrored, so we can start
utilizing the new mirroring service.  Please see Martin's tutorial
posted on Dec 31st, and contact him directly if you need permissions or
help uploading.

One of the major remaining tasks we have is to write up release
announcements.  The drafts are being developed here:

  http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php?title=AnnouncePlanning091

It needs formal and informal announcements written.  To see what we need
to make it look like, see:

  http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php?title=AnnouncePlanning046

In particular we'll need to identify a few volunteers to send the
notices out.  I can take care of a portion of the notifications but
there's quite more to do than I'll have time for, and so would
appreciate any help.

Bryce

1:  https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/
2:  http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Release_notes/0.91#Known_issues

Re: [Inkscape-devel] inkscape-0.91pre4 source tarball

Bryce Harrington-3
On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 05:32:25AM -0700, Brynn wrote:

> Regarding
>
> > One of the major remaining tasks we have is to write up release
> > announcements.  The drafts are being developed here:
> >
> >  http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php?title=AnnouncePlanning091
>
> Assuming the draft shown there is the current working draft, I would suggest
> "Everyday people" might come across in a negative way.  At least, it makes
> me feel a little offended.  I think there could be a better way to indicate
> that people use Inkscape for all kinds of reasons or purposes, beyond
> professional ones.

Good point.  Perhaps more emphasis on the types of *drawings* would be
better than the people.

> And I think more emphasis could be given to non-professional uses, because
> in reality....or at least in my experience, Inkscape is used more by
> non-professionals than by professionals.
>
> I didn't change that wiki draft, because I haven't been in contact with that
> group, and don't want to offend anyone; and also, because I have no positive
> concept of marketing, and won't be able to write my thoughts properly (to
> sound like marketing).
>
> Easy suggested changes:  "Other people", "People", "Non-professionals" (to
> replace "Everyday people").

As Tav alluded to, we've generally drafted two separate announcements -
a formal one that we intend to work more like a news release and be
disseminated far and wide on a large variety of news sites.  And a
second informal one to be sent to blogs and more community oriented
places, more conversational in tone.

For the latter, informal press release, I definitely agree we should
focus to more everyday type users.  The formal one may have longer legs
if we more emphasize the professional uses of the program - that is to
say, more news sites may pick it up and distribute it to more people if
it sounds like a professional scale tool.

But again, we may be better off focusing on the professionalism of the
*drawing* more than the professionalism/non-professionalism of the
person doing the drawing.

> More involved suggestions:  Here are some of the non-professional uses that
> I've come across, in my participation in forums:
>
> - someone making a new icon for their business
> - someone making a layout for their business card, or letterhead, or etc.
> - someone drawing a banner for their Facebook, or a website, or even for a
> brick and mortar business
> - people making drawings for use with digital home/craft cutter machines, or
> vinyl cutting or laser etching, or wood routing (CNC), or even using
> Inkscape drawing for a digital metal cutting machine
> - someone making illustrations for a book they wrote, or pamphlet or flyer
> for their business
> - someone making a holiday card or party invitation or poster
> - someone making decals for their motorcycle
> - someone making decals for their model cars, trucks, etc.
> - people making designs to be printed on fabric (t-shirts, sweatshirts,
> hats, etc.)
> - people trying to develop their artistic and design skills
> - having fun

Right, so half of those I would call "professional uses" even if the
artist isn't doing it professionally.  This is a good brainstorming
list.  We could pick out 3 to 5 items to make mention of in the
release, perhaps even include examples of those they can see if they
click-thru the links to our website?

> So those are not just "everyday people".  They are business owners, or
> leaders of organizations, or teachers, or parents.  (and actually, teachers
> ARE professionals, even though not professional artists)
>
> Maybe instead of the sentence starting with "Everyday people", it could be
> something like:  Many non-professionals use Inkscape for things like:  " and
> then list a few of those things?

Or,  "Inkscape is used for professional-quality drawing, like: ..."

> Just a couple of thoughts  :-)

Keep 'em coming brynn!

Bryce