inkscape-0.92.2pre0 source tarball now available

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
27 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

inkscape-0.92.2pre0 source tarball now available

Bryce Harrington-3
The first (and hopefully only) pre-release package for the upcoming
0.92.2 release is now available:

  https://inkscape.org/en/gallery/=inkscape-package/0922pre0/

The 0.92.x branch should now be considered in Hard Freeze + String Freeze.
Code changes to the 0.92.2 branch should be sent to me for review and
landing (see below.)  Translations can be landed normally up to the 4th
of Aug.


---

I intended to get this released last weekend, but the dist process has
changed significantly with the git migration and needed a bit of TLC.
suv, liam, Eduard, QuLogic, and others have provided much advice and
assistance getting things adapted - thank you.

Specifically, we're moved from using `bzr export` to `git archive` for
producing the dists.  In theory this should be an equivalent move, but
please keep your eyes peeled for any missing files or release-specific
details that failed to get updated.

While there are more enhancements that could be done(*) to streamline
the dist code, in the interest of stability, predictability, and
expediency I'm going to postpone those to after the release.  The dist
modifications also need ported to trunk.  If anyone's interested in
doing this let me know and I'll explain how it should be done, otherwise
I'll try to get it taken care of later.

The release will be in approximately 2 weeks.  I'm thinking a release
coordination meeting following the upcoming board meeting may make
sense; I'll send an invite later.  At this time, despite my delay
getting pre0 out, I think the schedule outlined below can still be
achieved; contact me if you know of any factors that need to be taken
into account.

Bryce

* - Notably, QuLogic suggested using gitattributes to substitute the
    commit hash and date in inkscape-version.cmake, instead of inserting
    it via set and then temporarily committing.  This would be far
    cleaner than the hack I've added.


------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2017 22:23:07 -0700
From: Bryce Harrington <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [Inkscape-devel] Proposed schedule for 0.92.2 release

We were holding off for 0.92.2 until the git migration was done.  Now
with that behind us, I'd like to suggest some plans for doing another
point release:

 Jul 22:  0.92.x Pre-release
       + String Freeze (0.92.x branch only)
          + Packagers package pre0 release as desired
       + Translators work on translations
          + Revert changes that introduced regressions
          + Code changes must be reviewed and landed by Bryce
            (0.92.x branch only)
 Aug  4:  Final Freeze
       + Final deadline for all translation work
       + Only Release Warden may commit (0.92.x branch only)
 Aug  5:  0.92.x Release Tarball
       + Packagers package final tarball
 Aug  7:  Announce


Backporting of fixes has been going strong (good work everyone!)
Please keep doing as you've been doing for one more week.

After the 22nd, I will be reviewing and landing all further
code-changing patches.  You can send me merge requests, lists of
cherrypickable SHA's from trunk, or patchsets generated via `git
format-patch`, as is convenient for you.  Stuff I'll be watching for:

  ☑  Patch is short
  ☑  Fix is already in trunk
  ☑  Has been tested and confirmed by at least one other person
  ☑  References a bug ID or url in commit message
  ☑  No translatable strings are changed
  ☑  Bugfix only - no refactoring, no feature changes

On the 22nd, I'll package a pre0 tarball for testing purposes.  The
switch to git will require updating some release procedures so this will
be a good dry run.  It would be nice to see packages made.

Testing of the pre-release will be appreciated, however for release
purposes we will be principally looking for _regressions_ compared with
0.92.1, so we can revert whatever patch caused the regression.  Other
bugs are welcome to be filed and worked on, of course, but I'd like to
keep on schedule.


For the actual release, please take Aug 5th as a pencilled in date, that
may need to change depending on how things go.  When the tarball is
ready I'll send a private note to the release team (packagers +
announcers).

Vector Team, if you would like to take the announcement writing and/or
dissemination tasks, let me know - I'd be very appreciative of the help.

Let me know if there is anything else that should be done or accounted
for in the above plan.

Bryce


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: inkscape-0.92.2pre0 source tarball now available

Eduard Braun
Am 26.07.2017 um 01:06 schrieb Bryce Harrington:
> The first (and hopefully only) pre-release package for the upcoming
> 0.92.2 release is now available:
>
>    https://inkscape.org/en/gallery/=inkscape-package/0922pre0/

Thanks!

Full set of Windows builds (7z, exe, msi - x86/x64) are now available:
https://inkscape.org/en/~eduard.braun/galleries/inkscape-0922pre/

Regards;
Eduard

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: inkscape-0.92.2pre0 source tarball now available

Eduard Braun
Am 26.07.2017 um 11:06 schrieb Eduard Braun:

> Am 26.07.2017 um 01:06 schrieb Bryce Harrington:
>> The first (and hopefully only) pre-release package for the upcoming
>> 0.92.2 release is now available:
>>
>>    https://inkscape.org/en/gallery/=inkscape-package/0922pre0/
>
> Thanks!
>
> Full set of Windows builds (7z, exe, msi - x86/x64) are now available:
> https://inkscape.org/en/~eduard.braun/galleries/inkscape-0922pre/
>
> Regards;
> Eduard

P.S.: Since this is the first MSYS2 build please test extensively and
let me know if any issue should arise that would block a release of this
version. Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: inkscape-0.92.2pre0 source tarball now available

Jabier Arraiza
In reply to this post by Eduard Braun
Thanks Eduard and Bryce.

On Wed, 2017-07-26 at 11:06 +0200, Eduard Braun wrote:

> Am 26.07.2017 um 01:06 schrieb Bryce Harrington:
> > The first (and hopefully only) pre-release package for the upcoming
> > 0.92.2 release is now available:
> >
> >    https://inkscape.org/en/gallery/=inkscape-package/0922pre0/
>
> Thanks!
>
> Full set of Windows builds (7z, exe, msi - x86/x64) are now
> available:
> https://inkscape.org/en/~eduard.braun/galleries/inkscape-0922pre/
>
> Regards;
> Eduard
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------
> -----------
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> _______________________________________________
> Inkscape-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: inkscape-0.92.2pre0 source tarball now available

alvinpenner
just a few comments: I am on Windows 10, using the file inkscape-0.92.2pre0-x86.exe

1. this has occurred previously as well, so it is not related to MSYS2 in any way. When I start the install I get the warning message attached. 922startup.png
Then I have to click on More Info in order to proceed, and I get the attached screen922startup2.png
 which says "Unknown Publisher". Possibly a bit intimidating for a first-time user.

2. running from DOS I get the attached error messages (a number of them):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Inkscape>inkscape
(inkscape.exe:1204): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_convert: assertion 'str != NULL' failed
(inkscape.exe:1204): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_convert: assertion 'str != NULL' failed

Note that these messages occur only after the program has been closed, not while it is running.

otherwise, very impressed with the rev number reporting system!

thanks,
Alvin
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: inkscape-0.92.2pre0 source tarball now available

Eduard Braun
Am 26.07.2017 um 14:40 schrieb alvinpenner:

> just a few comments: I am on Windows 10, using the file
> inkscape-0.92.2pre0-x86.exe
>
> 1. this has occurred previously as well, so it is not related to MSYS2 in
> any way. When I start the install I get the warning message attached.
> 922startup.png
> <http://inkscape.13.x6.nabble.com/file/n4980625/922startup.png>
> Then I have to click on More Info in order to proceed, and I get the
> attached screen 922startup2.png
> <http://inkscape.13.x6.nabble.com/file/n4980625/922startup2.png>
>   which says "Unknown Publisher". Possibly a bit intimidating for a
> first-time user.
The "Unknown Publisher" is nothing we can easily fix as it would require
us to digitally sign our packages. For this we'd need to buy a code
signing certificate (I'm not aware of any free solutions, but I have
never done this, so might be wrong).
Obviously this would be something worth looking into. Do we have someone
with experience on code signing around?

> 2. running from DOS I get the attached error messages (a number of them):
>
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Inkscape>inkscape
> (inkscape.exe:1204): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_convert: assertion 'str != NULL'
> failed
> (inkscape.exe:1204): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_convert: assertion 'str != NULL'
> failed
>
> Note that these messages occur only after the program has been closed, not
> while it is running.
I noticed that, too. It's only happening for the x86 version and I think
we had reports about this issue before (so might even be unrelated to
MSYS2). I wonder why it happens for x86 only (library versions in both
builds are identical now so they should also behave identical in most
cases). I wasn't able to find any functional limitation so far but I'll
certainly look into it (the function mentioned is unfortunately used in
*a lot* of code so it might be hard to track down).

Regards,
Eduard

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: inkscape-0.92.2pre0 source tarball now available

Mattia Rizzolo
In reply to this post by Bryce Harrington-3
On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 04:06:56PM -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> The first (and hopefully only) pre-release package for the upcoming
> 0.92.2 release is now available:
>
>   https://inkscape.org/en/gallery/=inkscape-package/0922pre0/

So I'm building packages for debian out of it (I also plan to upload it,
fwiw), but I noticed this addition in the diff:

+                  "More information about this change are available in the <a "
+                  "href='https://inkscape.org/en/learn/faq#todo-todo-todo'>Inkscape FAQ</a>"

the relevant FAQ doesn't seem to exist at all, so it also need writing
besides fixing the link.

I hope this is a kind of exception granted to string fixes, as that faq
feels rather important to me.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

GPG Key: 66AE 2B4A FCCF 3F52 DA18  4D18 4B04 3FCD B944 4540      .''`.
more about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :
Launchpad user: https://launchpad.net/~mapreri                  `. `'`
Debian QA page: https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=mattia  `-

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: inkscape-0.92.2pre0 source tarball now available

alvinpenner
hmm, for me this link appears to be working normally:
'https://inkscape.org/en/learn/faq#todo-todo-todo'

I'm on Windows 10, IE11

Alvin
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: inkscape-0.92.2pre0 source tarball now available

Mattia Rizzolo
On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 06:45:09AM -0700, alvinpenner wrote:
> hmm, for me this link appears to be working normally:
> 'https://inkscape.org/en/learn/faq#todo-todo-todo'

What's broken about that link is the anchor.  The page exists, the
section referred to the anchor does not.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

GPG Key: 66AE 2B4A FCCF 3F52 DA18  4D18 4B04 3FCD B944 4540      .''`.
more about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :
Launchpad user: https://launchpad.net/~mapreri                  `. `'`
Debian QA page: https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=mattia  `-

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: inkscape-0.92.2pre0 source tarball now available

Martin Owens-2
In reply to this post by Eduard Braun
On Wed, 2017-07-26 at 15:10 +0200, Eduard Braun wrote:
> The "Unknown Publisher" is nothing we can easily fix as it would
> require 
> us to digitally sign our packages. For this we'd need to buy a code 
> signing certificate (I'm not aware of any free solutions, but I have 
> never done this, so might be wrong).
> Obviously this would be something worth looking into. Do we have
> someone 
> with experience on code signing around?

Buy a code signing certificate is something we can go to the board to
ask for funds for. There's a place to keep this sort of secure cert and
give out to trusted people.

I think there was a similar idea for the apple cert too.

Martin,

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Inkscape-user] inkscape-0.92.2pre0 - testers welcome

Brynn
In reply to this post by Bryce Harrington-3
I'm not sure where we are with the new vectors team.  But hopefully starting
with the next release, it will be organized enough to handle making the
announcments.

Meanwhile, would you like a News items for this?  I was just about to make posts
in forums, but maybe a News item would would be helpful as well?

All best,
brynn

-----Original Message-----
From: Eduard Braun
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 3:27 AM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [Inkscape-user] inkscape-0.92.2pre0 - testers welcome

Am 26.07.2017 um 01:06 schrieb Bryce Harrington:
> The first (and hopefully only) pre-release package for the upcoming
> 0.92.2 release is now available:
>
>    https://inkscape.org/en/gallery/=inkscape-package/0922pre0/

Hi all

Bryce just released the source tarball for the 0.92.2 pre-release (see
above), the final release is to be expected around Aug 7th.

I want to invite you all to test the pre-release. Especially the builds
for Windows should receive some extensive testing as I switched the
build system for this release (it's now built with MSYS2 instead of our
custom-built devlibs for those interested in the details).

Overall this should result in less bugs, some additional features and
maybe even slightly improved performance, but - as with all fundamental
changes - it might have introduced regressions we're not aware of.
Therefire please let me know if you find any new issues that might block
this release (we'll fall back to the way we built Inkscape before in
this case).

A full set of Windows builds (7z, exe, msi - x86/x64) is available from:
https://inkscape.org/en/~eduard.braun/galleries/inkscape-0922pre/

Regards,
Eduard

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-user 


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Inkscape-user] inkscape-0.92.2pre0 - testers welcome

Eduard Braun
I'm not sure if a pre-release of a point release is worth a news item?

Basically I was trying to reach out to users who feel connected to the
project (therefore posting to inkscape-user) and might like to test in
advance. If you know other places where this is true, feel free to
forward the information, otherwise we'll likely see some serious testing
in about two weeks. ;-)

Regards and Thanks,
Eduard


Am 26.07.2017 um 20:29 schrieb brynn:

> I'm not sure where we are with the new vectors team.  But hopefully
> starting with the next release, it will be organized enough to handle
> making the announcments.
>
> Meanwhile, would you like a News items for this?  I was just about to
> make posts in forums, but maybe a News item would would be helpful as
> well?
>
> All best,
> brynn
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Eduard Braun
> Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 3:27 AM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Inkscape-user] inkscape-0.92.2pre0 - testers welcome
>
> Am 26.07.2017 um 01:06 schrieb Bryce Harrington:
>> The first (and hopefully only) pre-release package for the upcoming
>> 0.92.2 release is now available:
>>
>>    https://inkscape.org/en/gallery/=inkscape-package/0922pre0/
>
> Hi all
>
> Bryce just released the source tarball for the 0.92.2 pre-release (see
> above), the final release is to be expected around Aug 7th.
>
> I want to invite you all to test the pre-release. Especially the builds
> for Windows should receive some extensive testing as I switched the
> build system for this release (it's now built with MSYS2 instead of our
> custom-built devlibs for those interested in the details).
>
> Overall this should result in less bugs, some additional features and
> maybe even slightly improved performance, but - as with all fundamental
> changes - it might have introduced regressions we're not aware of.
> Therefire please let me know if you find any new issues that might block
> this release (we'll fall back to the way we built Inkscape before in
> this case).
>
> A full set of Windows builds (7z, exe, msi - x86/x64) is available from:
> https://inkscape.org/en/~eduard.braun/galleries/inkscape-0922pre/
>
> Regards,
> Eduard
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> _______________________________________________
> Inkscape-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-user
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> _______________________________________________
> Inkscape-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-user


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Inkscape-user] inkscape-0.92.2pre0 - testers welcome

Bryce Harrington-3
In reply to this post by Brynn
On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 12:29:08PM -0600, brynn wrote:
> I'm not sure where we are with the new vectors team.  But hopefully starting
> with the next release, it will be organized enough to handle making the
> announcments.

I touched base with Ryan yesterday, and we agreed to have a prelim chat
today.
 
> Meanwhile, would you like a News items for this?  I was just about to make
> posts in forums, but maybe a News item would would be helpful as well?

Thanks, although I think a News item is unnecessary - we're just a
couple weeks from the actual release so interest for end users is
probably low, and the style of testing at this stage we need is not
really crowdsourceable as it needs pretty tight feedback loops with
developers.

However, it's definitely a good point now to start prepping the official
news item, and for that would be good to coordinate with Ryan and other
Vector teammembers that might have good ideas for phrasing.

Would also be wise to review/polish the Release Notes for 0.92.2 in
wiki.  They look like they've been getting good attention, so the work
might be minimal, but I did only a cursory skim through.

Bryce

> -----Original Message----- From: Eduard Braun
> Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 3:27 AM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Inkscape-user] inkscape-0.92.2pre0 - testers welcome
>
> Am 26.07.2017 um 01:06 schrieb Bryce Harrington:
> >The first (and hopefully only) pre-release package for the upcoming
> >0.92.2 release is now available:
> >
> >   https://inkscape.org/en/gallery/=inkscape-package/0922pre0/
>
> Hi all
>
> Bryce just released the source tarball for the 0.92.2 pre-release (see
> above), the final release is to be expected around Aug 7th.
>
> I want to invite you all to test the pre-release. Especially the builds
> for Windows should receive some extensive testing as I switched the
> build system for this release (it's now built with MSYS2 instead of our
> custom-built devlibs for those interested in the details).
>
> Overall this should result in less bugs, some additional features and
> maybe even slightly improved performance, but - as with all fundamental
> changes - it might have introduced regressions we're not aware of.
> Therefire please let me know if you find any new issues that might block
> this release (we'll fall back to the way we built Inkscape before in
> this case).
>
> A full set of Windows builds (7z, exe, msi - x86/x64) is available from:
> https://inkscape.org/en/~eduard.braun/galleries/inkscape-0922pre/
>
> Regards,
> Eduard
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> _______________________________________________
> Inkscape-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-user
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> _______________________________________________
> Inkscape-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Inkscape-user] inkscape-0.92.2pre0 - testers welcome

Bryce Harrington-3
On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 12:52:05PM -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 12:29:08PM -0600, brynn wrote:
> > I'm not sure where we are with the new vectors team.  But hopefully starting
> > with the next release, it will be organized enough to handle making the
> > announcments.
>
> I touched base with Ryan yesterday, and we agreed to have a prelim chat
> today.
>  
> > Meanwhile, would you like a News items for this?  I was just about to make
> > posts in forums, but maybe a News item would would be helpful as well?
>
> Thanks, although I think a News item is unnecessary - we're just a
> couple weeks from the actual release so interest for end users is
> probably low, and the style of testing at this stage we need is not
> really crowdsourceable as it needs pretty tight feedback loops with
> developers.

To complete my thought here, the style of testing we do need right now
is a) sanity checking that it builds and runs on all the platforms that
0.92.1 worked on, 2) verification that the issues we are claiming as
fixed in 0.92.2 are indeed fixed, and 3) flagging of regressions
introduced by patches in 0.92.2 that should be reverted.

Bryce

> However, it's definitely a good point now to start prepping the official
> news item, and for that would be good to coordinate with Ryan and other
> Vector teammembers that might have good ideas for phrasing.
>
> Would also be wise to review/polish the Release Notes for 0.92.2 in
> wiki.  They look like they've been getting good attention, so the work
> might be minimal, but I did only a cursory skim through.
>
> Bryce
>
> > -----Original Message----- From: Eduard Braun
> > Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 3:27 AM
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Subject: [Inkscape-user] inkscape-0.92.2pre0 - testers welcome
> >
> > Am 26.07.2017 um 01:06 schrieb Bryce Harrington:
> > >The first (and hopefully only) pre-release package for the upcoming
> > >0.92.2 release is now available:
> > >
> > >   https://inkscape.org/en/gallery/=inkscape-package/0922pre0/
> >
> > Hi all
> >
> > Bryce just released the source tarball for the 0.92.2 pre-release (see
> > above), the final release is to be expected around Aug 7th.
> >
> > I want to invite you all to test the pre-release. Especially the builds
> > for Windows should receive some extensive testing as I switched the
> > build system for this release (it's now built with MSYS2 instead of our
> > custom-built devlibs for those interested in the details).
> >
> > Overall this should result in less bugs, some additional features and
> > maybe even slightly improved performance, but - as with all fundamental
> > changes - it might have introduced regressions we're not aware of.
> > Therefire please let me know if you find any new issues that might block
> > this release (we'll fall back to the way we built Inkscape before in
> > this case).
> >
> > A full set of Windows builds (7z, exe, msi - x86/x64) is available from:
> > https://inkscape.org/en/~eduard.braun/galleries/inkscape-0922pre/
> >
> > Regards,
> > Eduard
> >
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> > engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> > _______________________________________________
> > Inkscape-user mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-user
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> > engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> > _______________________________________________
> > Inkscape-devel mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> _______________________________________________
> Inkscape-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: inkscape-0.92.2pre0 source tarball now available

Eduard Braun
In reply to this post by Eduard Braun
Am 26.07.2017 um 15:10 schrieb Eduard Braun:

> Am 26.07.2017 um 14:40 schrieb alvinpenner:
>> 2. running from DOS I get the attached error messages (a number of
>> them):
>>
>> C:\Program Files (x86)\Inkscape>inkscape
>> (inkscape.exe:1204): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_convert: assertion 'str !=
>> NULL'
>> failed
>> (inkscape.exe:1204): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_convert: assertion 'str !=
>> NULL'
>> failed
>>
>> Note that these messages occur only after the program has been
>> closed, not
>> while it is running.
> I noticed that, too. It's only happening for the x86 version and I
> think we had reports about this issue before (so might even be
> unrelated to MSYS2). I wonder why it happens for x86 only (library
> versions in both builds are identical now so they should also behave
> identical in most cases). I wasn't able to find any functional
> limitation so far but I'll certainly look into it (the function
> mentioned is unfortunately used in *a lot* of code so it might be hard
> to track down).

I tracked down the source of this issue and it turns out a fix by
Tavmjong committed to master only a week ago fixes this issue, too.

See [1] for the detailed investigation and [2] for the MR including the fix.

Regards,
Eduard

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1706776
[2] https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/merge_requests/53

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Inkscape-user] inkscape-0.92.2pre0 - testers welcome

Miguel Lopez
In reply to this post by Brynn
I have been testing the Windows build, and I have to say that Inkscape
is now tolerable to work with in terms of speed for things that doesn't
push the limitation of Inkscape render engine. So far, so good, but it
is too early to say if there is a problem besides that, and the obvious
- features lacking in that build that's only found in experimental
Inkscape and of course features we all want to see in Inkscape, but that
is besides the point. I'm not sure if I can call the tweak objects as a
buggy tool, but I find that there's no way to preserve information by
not allowing it to delete or add nodes, or no way to paint alpha on
gradient mesh like if you were using Photoshop or Krita or GIMP and
using layer mask. But, that's all I have for now. I will be testing it
more, and will report soon as I really want to see Inkscape improves
feature-wise soon as possible.



On 7/26/2017 2:29 PM, brynn wrote:

> I'm not sure where we are with the new vectors team. But hopefully
> starting with the next release, it will be organized enough to handle
> making the announcments.
>
> Meanwhile, would you like a News items for this?  I was just about to
> make posts in forums, but maybe a News item would would be helpful as
> well?
>
> All best,
> brynn
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Eduard Braun
> Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 3:27 AM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Inkscape-user] inkscape-0.92.2pre0 - testers welcome
>
> Am 26.07.2017 um 01:06 schrieb Bryce Harrington:
>> The first (and hopefully only) pre-release package for the upcoming
>> 0.92.2 release is now available:
>>
>>    https://inkscape.org/en/gallery/=inkscape-package/0922pre0/
>
> Hi all
>
> Bryce just released the source tarball for the 0.92.2 pre-release (see
> above), the final release is to be expected around Aug 7th.
>
> I want to invite you all to test the pre-release. Especially the builds
> for Windows should receive some extensive testing as I switched the
> build system for this release (it's now built with MSYS2 instead of our
> custom-built devlibs for those interested in the details).
>
> Overall this should result in less bugs, some additional features and
> maybe even slightly improved performance, but - as with all fundamental
> changes - it might have introduced regressions we're not aware of.
> Therefire please let me know if you find any new issues that might block
> this release (we'll fall back to the way we built Inkscape before in
> this case).
>
> A full set of Windows builds (7z, exe, msi - x86/x64) is available from:
> https://inkscape.org/en/~eduard.braun/galleries/inkscape-0922pre/
>
> Regards,
> Eduard
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> _______________________________________________
> Inkscape-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-user
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> _______________________________________________
> Inkscape-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: inkscape-0.92.2pre0 source tarball now available

Tobias Ellinghaus
In reply to this post by Eduard Braun
Am Donnerstag, 27. Juli 2017, 00:02:43 CEST schrieb Eduard Braun:

> Am 26.07.2017 um 15:10 schrieb Eduard Braun:
> > Am 26.07.2017 um 14:40 schrieb alvinpenner:
> >> 2. running from DOS I get the attached error messages (a number of
> >> them):
> >>
> >> C:\Program Files (x86)\Inkscape>inkscape
> >> (inkscape.exe:1204): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_convert: assertion 'str !=
> >> NULL'
> >> failed
> >> (inkscape.exe:1204): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_convert: assertion 'str !=
> >> NULL'
> >> failed
> >>
> >> Note that these messages occur only after the program has been
> >> closed, not
> >> while it is running.
> >
> > I noticed that, too. It's only happening for the x86 version and I
> > think we had reports about this issue before (so might even be
> > unrelated to MSYS2). I wonder why it happens for x86 only (library
> > versions in both builds are identical now so they should also behave
> > identical in most cases). I wasn't able to find any functional
> > limitation so far but I'll certainly look into it (the function
> > mentioned is unfortunately used in *a lot* of code so it might be hard
> > to track down).
>
> I tracked down the source of this issue and it turns out a fix by
> Tavmjong committed to master only a week ago fixes this issue, too.
Finding errors thrown by glib, gdk or gtk is easy when running in a debugger
and passing --g-fatal-warnings to inkscape. It will stop whenever it throws
such an error so a backtrace will show you where it failed.

> See [1] for the detailed investigation and [2] for the MR including the fix.
>
> Regards,
> Eduard

Tobias

> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1706776
> [2] https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/merge_requests/53

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Inkscape-user] inkscape-0.92.2pre0 - testers welcome

Jabier Arraiza
In reply to this post by Miguel Lopez
Thanks Miguel for the feedback.

On Thu, 2017-07-27 at 02:31 +0000, Miguel Lopez wrote:

> I have been testing the Windows build, and I have to say that
> Inkscape 
> is now tolerable to work with in terms of speed for things that
> doesn't 
> push the limitation of Inkscape render engine. So far, so good, but
> it 
> is too early to say if there is a problem besides that, and the
> obvious 
> - features lacking in that build that's only found in experimental 
> Inkscape and of course features we all want to see in Inkscape, but
> that 
> is besides the point. I'm not sure if I can call the tweak objects as
> a 
> buggy tool, but I find that there's no way to preserve information
> by 
> not allowing it to delete or add nodes, or no way to paint alpha on 
> gradient mesh like if you were using Photoshop or Krita or GIMP and 
> using layer mask. But, that's all I have for now. I will be testing
> it 
> more, and will report soon as I really want to see Inkscape improves 
> feature-wise soon as possible.
>
>
>
> On 7/26/2017 2:29 PM, brynn wrote:
> > I'm not sure where we are with the new vectors team. But hopefully 
> > starting with the next release, it will be organized enough to
> > handle 
> > making the announcments.
> >
> > Meanwhile, would you like a News items for this?  I was just about
> > to 
> > make posts in forums, but maybe a News item would would be helpful
> > as 
> > well?
> >
> > All best,
> > brynn
> >
> > -----Original Message----- From: Eduard Braun
> > Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 3:27 AM
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Subject: [Inkscape-user] inkscape-0.92.2pre0 - testers welcome
> >
> > Am 26.07.2017 um 01:06 schrieb Bryce Harrington:
> > > The first (and hopefully only) pre-release package for the
> > > upcoming
> > > 0.92.2 release is now available:
> > >
> > >    https://inkscape.org/en/gallery/=inkscape-package/0922pre0/
> >
> > Hi all
> >
> > Bryce just released the source tarball for the 0.92.2 pre-release
> > (see
> > above), the final release is to be expected around Aug 7th.
> >
> > I want to invite you all to test the pre-release. Especially the
> > builds
> > for Windows should receive some extensive testing as I switched the
> > build system for this release (it's now built with MSYS2 instead of
> > our
> > custom-built devlibs for those interested in the details).
> >
> > Overall this should result in less bugs, some additional features
> > and
> > maybe even slightly improved performance, but - as with all
> > fundamental
> > changes - it might have introduced regressions we're not aware of.
> > Therefire please let me know if you find any new issues that might
> > block
> > this release (we'll fall back to the way we built Inkscape before
> > in
> > this case).
> >
> > A full set of Windows builds (7z, exe, msi - x86/x64) is available
> > from:
> > https://inkscape.org/en/~eduard.braun/galleries/inkscape-0922pre/
> >
> > Regards,
> > Eduard
> >
> > -----------------------------------------------------------------
> > ------------- 
> >
> > Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> > engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> > _______________________________________________
> > Inkscape-user mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-user
> >
> > -----------------------------------------------------------------
> > ------------- 
> >
> > Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> > engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> > _______________________________________________
> > Inkscape-devel mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------
> -----------
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> _______________________________________________
> Inkscape-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Inkscape-user] inkscape-0.92.2pre0 - testers welcome

Mark Schafer
In reply to this post by Miguel Lopez
my test in windows with text sets the font height to 779.7 when I start
typing. even when it was the default of 8 before I started.

Text is massive. same problem as 0.92.1. means only useful method is to
make one and copy and paste if making many text entries.

however I was gratified to see lpe pattern along path working with repeats.


On 7/27/2017 2:31 PM, Miguel Lopez wrote:

> I have been testing the Windows build, and I have to say that Inkscape
> is now tolerable to work with in terms of speed for things that doesn't
> push the limitation of Inkscape render engine. So far, so good, but it
> is too early to say if there is a problem besides that, and the obvious
> - features lacking in that build that's only found in experimental
> Inkscape and of course features we all want to see in Inkscape, but that
> is besides the point. I'm not sure if I can call the tweak objects as a
> buggy tool, but I find that there's no way to preserve information by
> not allowing it to delete or add nodes, or no way to paint alpha on
> gradient mesh like if you were using Photoshop or Krita or GIMP and
> using layer mask. But, that's all I have for now. I will be testing it
> more, and will report soon as I really want to see Inkscape improves
> feature-wise soon as possible.
>
>
>


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Inkscape-user] inkscape-0.92.2pre0 - testers welcome

alvinpenner
@Mark
with respect to text size: have you tried
- go to Text->Text and Font
- select some text on the screen
- change the font size in the dialog
- click on Set as Default

- alternatively, if this does not work, could you issue a bug report at:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/

Alvin
12
Loading...