inkscape 92.1 screwing up svg

Gary Hawkins-2
HI,

I am trying out inkscape 92 and downloaded 92.1 for windows 10

I just spent over an hour manually tracing a file I was hoping to use on my digital cutter - but it seem inkscape has changed the svg lines to an image - as useful as a chocolate fireguard or teapot - and I don't now how it did it but effing annoying!!!!

Steps I did
I loaded in an image with the design on
I manually traced the outline, using black stroke for cutting and red stroke for any folding (non cut) lines
I moved the traced lines to a new layer above the current one
turned off the eye on the cut lines layer
moved the actual image to the centre of the page
locked the image layer
opened the eye on the cut line layer
selected the svg lines and at the bottom of the screen it say it's an image
if I go into view>outline my svg lines show and a whwite square with a X - so it HAS changed it to an image

so that was a waste of couple of hours as I now have to start all over again. and it WON'T be using inkscape 92!!! in fact inkscape 92 might well be dumped off the system as it's useless if it convert svg lines to images for no reason.

NOT IMPRESSED

and before anyone asks, I cannot use trace bitmap as that gives double lines and I need single lines and inkscape does not have a centre line trace.

Gaz

Re: inkscape 92.1 screwing up svg

Maren Hachmann
Hi Gary,

I understand your frustration, loosing work is hard.

But if what you wrote about your 'svg lines' (i.e. paths) showing up in
outline mode is correct, then your work is not lost.

I mean this part:

> if I go into view>outline my svg lines show and a whwite square with a X
> - so it HAS changed it to an image

So, if this is true - both are still there? Or how did you mean this?

Are you able to upload the svg file somewhere? E.g. dropbox, google
drive, framadrop.org?

I think you may just have accidentally selected the image, and your
paths are still there, maybe on a hidden layer.

One important advice:
In any case, activate the autosave feature. You can find it in Edit ->
Preferences -> Input/Output -> Autosave. If you mess up a file, or
Inkscape crashes without making a backup, these autosaves are invaluable.

You can also use the Undo functionality, when you haven't closed
Inkscape, to get back to a previous state.

Kind Regards,
 Maren

Am 19.02.2017 um 23:43 schrieb Gary Hawkins:

> HI,
>
> I am trying out inkscape 92 and downloaded 92.1 for windows 10
>
> I just spent over an hour manually tracing a file I was hoping to use on
> my digital cutter - but it seem inkscape has changed the svg lines to an
> image - as useful as a chocolate fireguard or teapot - and I don't now
> how it did it but effing annoying!!!!
>
> Steps I did
> I loaded in an image with the design on
> I manually traced the outline, using black stroke for cutting and red
> stroke for any folding (non cut) lines
> I moved the traced lines to a new layer above the current one
> turned off the eye on the cut lines layer
> moved the actual image to the centre of the page
> locked the image layer
> opened the eye on the cut line layer
> selected the svg lines and at the bottom of the screen it say it's an image
> if I go into view>outline my svg lines show and a whwite square with a X
> - so it HAS changed it to an image
>
> so that was a waste of couple of hours as I now have to start all over
> again. and it WON'T be using inkscape 92!!! in fact inkscape 92 might
> well be dumped off the system as it's useless if it convert svg lines to
> images for no reason.
>
> NOT IMPRESSED
>
> and before anyone asks, I cannot use trace bitmap as that gives double
> lines and I need single lines and inkscape does not have a centre line
> trace.
>
> Gaz

Re: inkscape 92.1 screwing up svg

Gary Hawkins-2
Thanks for the reply.

this line

> if I go into view>outline my svg lines show and a whwite square with a X
> - so it HAS changed it to an image

should have read
> if I go into view>outline my svg lines show AS a white square with a X
> - so it HAS changed it to an image

the file had one image (layer 1) and one set of paths (svg lines - if only I could have thought of the word paths when I first typed this ;) ) layer 2 this had two colours, back stroke cut lines and red stroke score lines.
now I have two images - the original one (layer 1) and the one I had as paths (layer2) two colours. it seems to have converted the paths to an image. I have no paths in the file any more.

I have sat and manually re-traced it again!! NOT in 92 as for me this is unstable and has now been removed from my system. I used 91 and have overwritten the original file, as images are useless to me, apart from for tracing, as they crash the cutter software if sent to the machine.

I tend to have autosave turned on but I guess installing 92 set it to be off and I did not think to check it.

On 19 February 2017 at 23:39, Maren Hachmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Gary,

I understand your frustration, loosing work is hard.

But if what you wrote about your 'svg lines' (i.e. paths) showing up in
outline mode is correct, then your work is not lost.

I mean this part:

> if I go into view>outline my svg lines show and a whwite square with a X
> - so it HAS changed it to an image

So, if this is true - both are still there? Or how did you mean this?

Are you able to upload the svg file somewhere? E.g. dropbox, google
drive, framadrop.org?

I think you may just have accidentally selected the image, and your
paths are still there, maybe on a hidden layer.

One important advice:
In any case, activate the autosave feature. You can find it in Edit ->
Preferences -> Input/Output -> Autosave. If you mess up a file, or
Inkscape crashes without making a backup, these autosaves are invaluable.

You can also use the Undo functionality, when you haven't closed
Inkscape, to get back to a previous state.

Kind Regards,
 Maren

Am 19.02.2017 um 23:43 schrieb Gary Hawkins:
> HI,
>
> I am trying out inkscape 92 and downloaded 92.1 for windows 10
>
> I just spent over an hour manually tracing a file I was hoping to use on
> my digital cutter - but it seem inkscape has changed the svg lines to an
> image - as useful as a chocolate fireguard or teapot - and I don't now
> how it did it but effing annoying!!!!
>
> Steps I did
> I loaded in an image with the design on
> I manually traced the outline, using black stroke for cutting and red
> stroke for any folding (non cut) lines
> I moved the traced lines to a new layer above the current one
> turned off the eye on the cut lines layer
> moved the actual image to the centre of the page
> locked the image layer
> opened the eye on the cut line layer
> selected the svg lines and at the bottom of the screen it say it's an image
> if I go into view>outline my svg lines show and a whwite square with a X
> - so it HAS changed it to an image
>
> so that was a waste of couple of hours as I now have to start all over
> again. and it WON'T be using inkscape 92!!! in fact inkscape 92 might
> well be dumped off the system as it's useless if it convert svg lines to
> images for no reason.
>
> NOT IMPRESSED
>
> and before anyone asks, I cannot use trace bitmap as that gives double
> lines and I need single lines and inkscape does not have a centre line
> trace.
>
> Gaz

Re: inkscape 92.1 screwing up svg

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.  I think we've all been there!

We have not had any reports about vector paths getting changed to raster image
in Windows.  (It can happen on Macs, but not on Windows.)

The square with the X showing in Outline mode, just means that there's a raster
image in the file.  And you've already told us you have an imported raster image
that you're tracing.  So that shouldn't be a surprise.

I wonder if you might have selected the wrong thing?  Or maybe you had moved
something to the new layer that you didn't intend (happens to me a lot).  Or
something went wrong, obviously.

If you can share the SVG file, we can help you to sort things out.

I realize you've said, in a subsequent message, that you reverted to 0.91.

But I still wonder if you might allow us to look at the file, if you still have
it?  Because if there is a new bug, we need to be able to verify it, so the
programmers can find the problem in the code and fix it.

If you do happen to upgrade again, and you see this same thing is happening,
would you please report it to us, including instructions for reproducing the
problem, so that we can investigate?

Thanks, and better luck  :-)

Re: inkscape 92.1 screwing up svg

Gary Hawkins-2
Hi

Yes I did expect to see one image (large X) but when I got two large X's and clicking on the black and red paths I had drawn and it saying in the info strip at the bottom image I was a little p'd off.
never had this happen before.

as I said, I re-traced it manually as trace bitmap gives double lines as it traces inside and outside of a line (no centre trace) and saved over the original file as I did not want to confuse with two files (one OK and the other useless rubbish)

yes, I have gone back to 91 and 92 has been dumped.
to be honest I have no idea how it became an image. I had layer 1 with the image (for tracing) and traced my paths onto layer 2. I tend to trace this way as it's not possible to select the image if you lock lay one so manual tracing is easier. I traced my cut paths in black, then went back and added the paths I wanted to score in red. I then turned off the eye on layer 2 to check the image for something (forget what now) and when I turned the eye on layer 2 back on and selected what should have been paths (still showing black and red) it said image in the info bar (at the bottom)   I thought it was selecting the bottom layer so I went into view>outline mode and both layers showed the large X.   Ink92 was called some very, very bad names

On 20 February 2017 at 05:33, brynn <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

brynn

-----Original Message----- From: Gary Hawkins

Re: inkscape 92.1 screwing up svg

Brynn
Oh, I understand completely!  We all were newbies once and we've all been
through things like this.

It does sound strange to suddenly have 2 images.

If you still have the rubbish file, could we look at it?

Re: inkscape 92.1 screwing up svg

C R
I wouldn't assume this user is a newbie. :)
But yes, if we can see the original file, maybe we can try and
reproduce the error at least.

-C

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 9:18 AM, brynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Oh, I understand completely!  We all were newbies once and we've all been
> through things like this.
>
> It does sound strange to suddenly have 2 images.
>
> If you still have the rubbish file, could we look at it?
>
> Thanks,
> brynn

I didn't assume is a newbie - didn't mean to imply I thought he was, in fact
sounds like not - just trying to find common grounds  :-)

I wouldn't assume this user is a newbie. :)
But yes, if we can see the original file, maybe we can try and
reproduce the error at least.

-C

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 9:18 AM, brynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Oh, I understand completely!  We all were newbies once and we've all been
> through things like this.
>
> It does sound strange to suddenly have 2 images.
>
> If you still have the rubbish file, could we look at it?
>
> Thanks,
> brynn

Thanks for clarifying. I figured this is what was meant. :)
-C

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 10:32 AM, brynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I didn't assume is a newbie - didn't mean to imply I thought he was, in fact
> sounds like not - just trying to find common grounds  :-)
>
> brynn

Btw. there *is* a centerline trace extension for Inkscape (but it
appears to be difficult to install on Windows, so no guarantees):

https://github.com/fablabnbg/inkscape-centerline-trace

(it worked great for me when I traced a kirigami pattern)

Am 20.02.2017 um 11:55 schrieb C R:

> Thanks for clarifying. I figured this is what was meant. :)
> -C
>
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 10:32 AM, brynn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I didn't assume is a newbie - didn't mean to imply I thought he was, in fact
>> sounds like not - just trying to find common grounds  :-)
>>
>> brynn

I did look at that a while back but could never get it to work so gave it up as a bad job (bit like the svg output from gimp LOL)

I generally do tracing by manual path placement using bezier or such. rarely use trace bitmap unless it's a large clipart type image where it will trace flat colours etc. but normally it's quicker to just click around the shape and place the nodes.

On 20 February 2017 at 20:59, Maren Hachmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
Btw. there *is* a centerline trace extension for Inkscape (but it
appears to be difficult to install on Windows, so no guarantees):

https://github.com/fablabnbg/inkscape-centerline-trace

(it worked great for me when I traced a kirigami pattern)

Am 20.02.2017 um 11:55 schrieb C R:
> Thanks for clarifying. I figured this is what was meant. :)
> -C
>
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 10:32 AM, brynn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I didn't assume is a newbie - didn't mean to imply I thought he was, in fact
>> sounds like not - just trying to find common grounds  :-)
>>
>> brynn

Inkscape could really use an extension "installer". Eventually I'd
like to see something similar to the app-store-like extension manager
in Atom Editor, where the community writes and rates eachothers
extensions, and everything is viewable and searchable in the
application (with internet connection, of course). I think it really
encourages people to write more code socially, and keeps the user from
having to look through forums, and remember where Inkscape requires
extension files to be dropped.

This is of course secondary to all the stuff that needs fixing in
Inkscape, of course. :)

-C

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 10:13 PM, Gary Hawkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I did look at that a while back but could never get it to work so gave it up
> as a bad job (bit like the svg output from gimp LOL)
>
> I generally do tracing by manual path placement using bezier or such. rarely
> use trace bitmap unless it's a large clipart type image where it will trace
> flat colours etc. but normally it's quicker to just click around the shape
> and place the nodes.
>

> On 20 February 2017 at 20:59, Maren Hachmann <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Btw. there *is* a centerline trace extension for Inkscape (but it
>> appears to be difficult to install on Windows, so no guarantees):
>>
>> https://github.com/fablabnbg/inkscape-centerline-trace
>>
>> (it worked great for me when I traced a kirigami pattern)
>>
>> Regards,
>>  Maren
>>
>> Am 20.02.2017 um 11:55 schrieb C R:
>> > Thanks for clarifying. I figured this is what was meant. :)
>> > -C

Martin Owens-2
On Tue, 2017-02-21 at 08:59 +0000, C R wrote:
> Eventually I'd
> like to see something similar to the app-store-like extension manager
> in Atom Editor, where the community writes and rates eachothers
> extensions, and everything is viewable and searchable in the
> application (with internet connection, of course).

If you think about where I've positioned the website with resources,
you can see the web service side of that exact kind of thing.

We don't have the installer, or the service part, but maybe we just
need to knock up something in python instead of C++ as a seperate app.
Would that work ok since inkscape needs to be restarted anyway?

Re: inkscape 92.1 screwing up svg

C R
Sure, as long as it does the following:
1. Lets the user search the the currently submitted extensions with a
search field
2. Downloads the extension file into the right place for Inkscape
3. Displays a notification that Inkscape needs to be restarted.

Optional nice extras:
4. Shows user currently installed extensions
5. Lets the user uninstall them in the same way you'd uninstall an app
from an app store

My worry is any extra program downloaded will wind up being just
another thing to install.
I don't want this to turn into a "30 things to do after you Install
Inkscape" list item. :)

Anything that makes it easier to install/manage extensions would be a
step in the right direction though.

-C