inkscape-trunk broken, icons missing, causing inkscape to crash on loading projects.

inkscape-trunk broken, icons missing, causing inkscape to crash on loading projects.

C R
It just crashes. Is there some reason the icon stuff was merged in a
half-finished state with trunk? It's broken everything, even if you
open Inkscape without loading a project, half the icons are now
missing, and it's unusable.

Having to revert to old Inkscape for the time being, which is an uber pain.
Also wanted to do some bug reporting this weekend, but am having to
put that off too.

Thanks for any advice.

Re: inkscape-trunk broken, icons missing, causing inkscape to crash on loading projects.

C R
Specific error when run from command line:

Gtk:ERROR:../../../../gtk/gtkiconhelper.c:494:ensure_surface_for_gicon:
assertion failed (error == NULL): Icon 'image-missing' not present in
theme hicolor (gtk-icon-theme-error-quark, 0)

Emergency save activated!
Emergency save completed. Inkscape will close now.
If you can reproduce this crash, please file a bug at www.inkscape.org
with a detailed description of the steps leading to the crash, so we can fix it.
Gtk-Message: 12:50:21.684: GtkDialog mapped without a transient
parent. This is discouraged.
Aborted (core dumped)

1:0.92.0+devel+201807281206 Ubuntu 18.04

-C

On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 1:01 PM, C R <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It just crashes. Is there some reason the icon stuff was merged in a
> half-finished state with trunk? It's broken everything, even if you
> open Inkscape without loading a project, half the icons are now
> missing, and it's unusable.
>
> Having to revert to old Inkscape for the time being, which is an uber pain.
> Also wanted to do some bug reporting this weekend, but am having to
> put that off too.
>
> Thanks for any advice.
> -C

Re: inkscape-trunk broken, icons missing, causing inkscape to crash on loading projects.

alvinpenner
not sure if this is related or no, but on Appveyor
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/inkscape/inkscape/history
every build in the last three days or so has failed.
the most recent successful build is master-1426
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/inkscape/inkscape/build/master-1426

Alvin

--
Sent from: http://inkscape.13.x6.nabble.com/Inkscape-Dev-f2781808.html

Re: inkscape-trunk broken, icons missing, causing inkscape to crash on loading projects.

C R
Possibly. I get all my Inkscape installs from the trunk ppa.

Maybe that's part of the problem?
-C

On Sun, 29 Jul 2018, 16:45 alvinpenner, <[hidden email]> wrote:
not sure if this is related or no, but on Appveyor
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/inkscape/inkscape/history
every build in the last three days or so has failed.
the most recent successful build is master-1426
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/inkscape/inkscape/build/master-1426

Alvin

--
Sent from: http://inkscape.13.x6.nabble.com/Inkscape-Dev-f2781808.html

Re: inkscape-trunk broken, icons missing, causing inkscape to crash on loading projects.

Jabier Arraiza
Alvin appvellour builds are broken because missing dependence
CR. You are the first see this bug I think I can go tonight home to make a Ubuntu virtual machine to test, I try in Debian and windows 10 without problems
previously to merge the work. Is not enough but never is enough to ;) sorry if I feel rude but nominate a work as half done is a bit adventures because a work can be done and a just a semicolon can break all. Thanks so much for using development version and for all inconveniences can happen with it, I think in two hours in free to deep into, after a other things very busy weekend. Regards, jabier

Enviado desde TypeApp
En 29 jul. 2018, en 18:42, C R <[hidden email]> escribió:
[...]

No problem. Thanks for looking into it. Yes, maybe my wording was bad. Sorry about that. :) For all I know it could be the ppa that is the problem.

Let me know if I can help, and thanks for your work.

-C

On Sun, 29 Jul 2018, 18:56 Jabier Arraiza, <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi again, previously to get into could try adding this to your
preferences.xml and if not works  make a backup and start with no one.

<group
     id="theme"
     gtkTheme="Adwaita"
     iconTheme="hicolor"
     symbolicIcons="0"
     darkTheme="0"
     symbolicColor="-2490113"/>

On Sun, 2018-07-29 at 17:35 +0100, C R wrote:

> Possibly. I get all my Inkscape installs from the trunk ppa.
>
> Maybe that's part of the problem?
> -C
>
> On Sun, 29 Jul 2018, 16:45 alvinpenner, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > not sure if this is related or no, but on Appveyor
> > https://ci.appveyor.com/project/inkscape/inkscape/history
> > every build in the last three days or so has failed.
> > the most recent successful build is master-1426
> > https://ci.appveyor.com/project/inkscape/inkscape/build/master-1426
> >
> > Alvin
> >

> > --
> > Sent from: http://inkscape.13.x6.nabble.com/Inkscape-Dev-f2781808.h
> > tml

Re: inkscape-trunk broken, icons missing, causing inkscape to crash on loading projects.

Great, Im not too receptive to your message, I need to accept better
critics :(

Anyway there is a lot of work of various members on the team and is one
of the largest MR we have, is one of the fews commits that I wait a
approve to merge, and maybe, (not tested) is as easy as use a clean
preferences.xml (I do not controle it, my fault) but is a classic,
clean it if something not work.

Finaly thanks so much for use devel on production is very very
important to the proyect your feedback and totaly understable your
"furius" if totaly broken.

I hope see soon and drink some cool beers, and coffee, of course!

On Sun, 2018-07-29 at 20:00 +0100, C R wrote:

> No problem. Thanks for looking into it. Yes, maybe my wording was
> bad. Sorry about that. :) For all I know it could be the ppa that is
> the problem.
>
> Let me know if I can help, and thanks for your work.
>
> -C
>
> On Sun, 29 Jul 2018, 18:56 Jabier Arraiza, <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Alvin appvellour builds are broken because missing dependence
> > CR. You are the first see this bug I think I can go tonight home to
> > make a Ubuntu virtual machine to test, I try in Debian and windows
> > 10 without problems
> > previously to merge the work. Is not enough but never is enough to
> > ;) sorry if I feel rude but nominate a work as half done is a bit
> > adventures because a work can be done and a just a semicolon can
> > break all. Thanks so much for using development version and for all
> > inconveniences can happen with it, I think in two hours in free to
> > deep into, after a other things very busy weekend. Regards, jabier
> >
> > Enviado desde TypeApp
> > En 29 jul. 2018, en 18:42, C R <[hidden email]> escribió:
> > > And sorry Jabier, I can only comment what I see, and with half
> > > the icons missing, it looks half done. It's not a criticism of
> > > your work, just what I am seeing.
> > >
> > > -C

> > > Inkscape-devel mailing list
> > > [hidden email]
> > > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel

Re: inkscape-trunk broken, icons missing, causing inkscape to crash on loading projects.

C R
Haha, don't worry. I was frustrated sure, but it's the unstable
version, so I'm not expecting perfection. In lots of ways I'm spoiled,
because I get to try all the new stuff first, and use it in my daily
work. So maybe I should not even be frustrated. But anyway, you know I
think highly of your work, so don't worry about it. It's a big reason
I'm here to report things that go wrong. I could have been much nicer
about it, so I apologise if it caused upset. And yes, we still need to
grab another beer together at some point. Looking forward to it. :)

I'll try that trick you mentioned and see if it helps, and will report back.

Thanks!
-C

On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 8:17 PM, Jabier Arraiza
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great, Im not too receptive to your message, I need to accept better
> critics :(
>
> Anyway there is a lot of work of various members on the team and is one
> of the largest MR we have, is one of the fews commits that I wait a
> approve to merge, and maybe, (not tested) is as easy as use a clean
> preferences.xml (I do not controle it, my fault) but is a classic,
> clean it if something not work.
>
> Finaly thanks so much for use devel on production is very very
> important to the proyect your feedback and totaly understable your
> "furius" if totaly broken.
>
> I hope see soon and drink some cool beers, and coffee, of course!
>

> On Sun, 2018-07-29 at 20:00 +0100, C R wrote:
>> No problem. Thanks for looking into it. Yes, maybe my wording was
>> bad. Sorry about that. :) For all I know it could be the ppa that is
>> the problem.
>>
>> Let me know if I can help, and thanks for your work.
>>
>> -C
>>
>> On Sun, 29 Jul 2018, 18:56 Jabier Arraiza, <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Alvin appvellour builds are broken because missing dependence
>> > CR. You are the first see this bug I think I can go tonight home to
>> > make a Ubuntu virtual machine to test, I try in Debian and windows
>> > 10 without problems
>> > previously to merge the work. Is not enough but never is enough to
>> > ;) sorry if I feel rude but nominate a work as half done is a bit
>> > adventures because a work can be done and a just a semicolon can
>> > break all. Thanks so much for using development version and for all
>> > inconveniences can happen with it, I think in two hours in free to
>> > deep into, after a other things very busy weekend. Regards, jabier

Re: inkscape-trunk broken, icons missing, causing inkscape to crash on loading projects.

Jabier Arraiza
Thanks so much CR!

wrote:
not sure if this is related or no, but on Appveyor
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/inkscape/inkscape/history
every build in the last three days or so has failed.
the most recent successful build is master-1426
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/inkscape/inkscape/build/maste
r-1426

Alvin

--
Sent from: http://inkscape.13.x6.nabble.com/Inkscape-Dev-f278
1808.html

Re: inkscape-trunk broken, icons missing, causing inkscape to crash on loading projects.

C R
I added this to the preferences/xml file:
<group
     id="theme"
     gtkTheme="Adwaita"
     iconTheme="hicolor"
     symbolicIcons="0"
     darkTheme="0"
     symbolicColor="-2490113"/>

replacing the one which was there (the only difference was the
symbolicColor value) but it seems to have no effect. I tried erasing
everything in the Inkscape .config folder, and it's not crashing
anymore after that, but most of the icons are still gone.

I've attached a screenshot of what I'm seeing:

Screenshot from 2018-07-29 21-02-13.png (148K) Download Attachment

Re: inkscape-trunk broken, icons missing, causing inkscape to crash on loading projects.

Jabier Arraiza
Need to go sleep tomorrow night continue. sorry for the inconveniences.

On Sun, 2018-07-29 at 21:03 +0100, C R wrote:

> I added this to the preferences/xml file:
> <group
>      id="theme"
>      gtkTheme="Adwaita"
>      iconTheme="hicolor"
>      symbolicIcons="0"
>      darkTheme="0"
>      symbolicColor="-2490113"/>
>
> replacing the one which was there (the only difference was the
> symbolicColor value) but it seems to have no effect. I tried erasing
> everything in the Inkscape .config folder, and it's not crashing
> anymore after that, but most of the icons are still gone.
>
> I've attached a screenshot of what I'm seeing:
>

> On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 8:56 PM, Jabier Arraiza
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Thanks so much CR!
> >
> > Enviado desde TypeApp
> > En 29 jul. 2018, en 21:45, C R <[hidden email]> escribió:
> > >
> > > Haha, don't worry. I was frustrated sure, but it's the unstable
> > > version, so I'm not expecting perfection. In lots of ways I'm
> > > spoiled,
> > > because I get to try all the new stuff first, and use it in my
> > > daily
> > > work. So maybe I should not even be frustrated. But anyway, you
> > > know I
> > > think highly of your work, so don't worry about it. It's a big
> > > reason
> > > I'm here to report things that go wrong. I could have been much
> > > nicer
> > > about it, so I apologise if it caused upset. And yes, we still
> > > need to
> > > grab another beer together at some point. Looking forward to it.
> > > :)
> > >
> > > I'll try that trick you mentioned and see if it helps, and will
> > > report
> > > back.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > > -C

Re: inkscape-trunk broken, icons missing, causing inkscape to crash on loading projects.

C R
It's okay. Thanks for looking at it.
-C