Quantcast

is it possible to speed up CMake?

12

is it possible to speed up CMake?

alvinpenner
on Windows 10, current trunk, I normally execute the following two Cmake commands:
mingw32-make -j 2
mingw32-make install

The time required for this is 300 seconds, 150 seconds for each step. This time is the same no matter how small the change, even if I just insert one single blank character somewhere.
Previously, using btool, the total time required for this would be about 10 seconds or so, for a complete rebuild of Inkscape.
So CMake is about 30 times slower than btool, which makes it almost impossible to do diagnostic work with Inkscape, any way of speeding it up?

Alvin

Re: is it possible to speed up CMake?

objarni

On 1 Mar 2017 21:20, "alvinpenner" <[hidden email]> wrote:
on Windows 10, current trunk, I normally execute the following two Cmake
commands:
mingw32-make -j 2
mingw32-make install

The time required for this is 300 seconds, 150 seconds for each step. This
time is the same no matter how small the change, even if I just insert one
single blank character somewhere.
Previously, using btool, the total time required for this would be about 10
seconds or so, for a complete rebuild of Inkscape.

A complete *rebuild* of Inkscape in 10 seconds using one computer only? What are the specs of that machine?

So CMake is about 30 times slower than btool, which makes it almost
impossible to do diagnostic work with Inkscape, any way of speeding it up?

Alvin

Re: is it possible to speed up CMake?

mathog
On 01-Mar-2017 12:25, Olof Bjarnason wrote:
> A complete *rebuild* of Inkscape in 10 seconds using one computer only?
> What are the specs of that machine?

That isn't what he said.  Change a space in some source file and rebuild
and the work which must be done
is:

recompile module
rebuild library
relink executable

cmake does that, eventually, but along the way it scans through a lot of
other stuff which is why it takes so long.  AP's point is that btool was
much more efficient about it, not wasting time getting this job done, so
when working on one module it was quick to rebuild, but with cmake, it
isn't.

On a similar note, I still can't get cmake to build Inkscape on Ubuntu
14.04 LTS 32 bit, and have to manually enter a different link command
(changing cms library linkage) every time.

 From where I sit, in terms of performance and functionality, cmake was a
large step backwards from what we had previously on both Windows and
Linux.

Regards,

David Mathog

Re: is it possible to speed up CMake?

Eduard Braun
Am 01.03.2017 um 21:19 schrieb alvinpenner:

> on Windows 10, current trunk, I normally execute the following two Cmake
> commands:
> mingw32-make -j 2
> mingw32-make install
>
> The time required for this is 300 seconds, 150 seconds for each step. This
> time is the same no matter how small the change, even if I just insert one
> single blank character somewhere.
> Previously, using btool, the total time required for this would be about 10
> seconds or so, for a complete rebuild of Inkscape.
> So CMake is about 30 times slower than btool, which makes it almost
> impossible to do diagnostic work with Inkscape, any way of speeding it up?
>
> Alvin

Hi Alvin,

I can confirm this behavior. What takes that long is scanning
dependencies (i.e. CMake checks which dependencies every file has and if
one of those changed and a rebuild of that file is required). This step
seems to be especially slow on Windows, probably due to slower file IO
compared to *nix.Therefore every build will take some minimum time, even
if no files changed. On my machine it was considerably faster though
(~45 s if I remember correctly), but still annoying when working on
something.

To solve this issue I'd recommend you to use ninja to build instead of
ming32-make. I have that successfully running on Windows 10 now and
incremental rebuilds only take ~10s.
I documented the necessary steps in our Wiki not long ago:
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/CMake#Using_CMake_with_Ninja_to_build_Inkscape

Regards,
Eduard

Re: is it possible to speed up CMake?

alvinpenner
>> A complete *rebuild* of Inkscape in 10 seconds using one computer only?

sorry, I got carried away with my own rhetoric. I meant take an existing build, make one trivial change in one file, and rebuild. I am tracking down bugs, so I typically do many recompiles with only trivial changes between them.

Alvin

On 1 Mar 2017 22:01, "alvinpenner" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> A complete *rebuild* of Inkscape in 10 seconds using one computer only?

sorry, I got carried away with my own rhetoric. I meant take an existing
build, make one trivial change in one file, and rebuild. I am tracking down
bugs, so I typically do many recompiles with only trivial changes between
them.

Ah yes. Rebuild means clean+build in my toolchain might be a little blind.

Hope cmake build cycle improves with time...

Alvin

Re: is it possible to speed up CMake?

alvinpenner
>> To solve this issue I'd recommend you to use ninja to build instead of
ming32-make. I have that successfully running on Windows 10 now and
incremental rebuilds only take ~10s.

Thanks, I'll definitely check that out. I am currently looking at only two bugs, so if I can solve them before I lose my patience, then I'll stay with CMake, otherwise I'll try ninja.

Alvin

Am 01.03.2017 um 22:09 schrieb alvinpenner:
>>> To solve this issue I'd recommend you to use ninja to build instead of
> ming32-make. I have that successfully running on Windows 10 now and
> incremental rebuilds only take ~10s.
>
> Thanks, I'll definitely check that out. I am currently looking at only two
> bugs, so if I can solve them before I lose my patience, then I'll stay with
> CMake, otherwise I'll try ninja.
>
> Alvin

Definitely try it! I was in exactly the same position some weeks ago,
and afterwards I really regretted not having tried ninja earlier (It
could have saved me *a lot* of time!).
You really only have to download one tiny executable (391 kB) and that's
it! I'm exclusively using ninja for new builds now.

Re: is it possible to speed up CMake?

objarni
What does ninja do more technically? Magic? :D

On 1 Mar 2017 22:18, "Eduard Braun" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 01.03.2017 um 22:09 schrieb alvinpenner:
>>> To solve this issue I'd recommend you to use ninja to build instead of
> ming32-make. I have that successfully running on Windows 10 now and
> incremental rebuilds only take ~10s.
>
> Thanks, I'll definitely check that out. I am currently looking at only two
> bugs, so if I can solve them before I lose my patience, then I'll stay with
> CMake, otherwise I'll try ninja.
>
> Alvin

Definitely try it! I was in exactly the same position some weeks ago,
and afterwards I really regretted not having tried ninja earlier (It
could have saved me *a lot* of time!).
You really only have to download one tiny executable (391 kB) and that's
it! I'm exclusively using ninja for new builds now.

Re: is it possible to speed up CMake?

Mattia Rizzolo
On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 02:09:48PM -0700, alvinpenner wrote:
> then I'll stay with CMake, otherwise I'll try ninja.

You'll still be using cmake.

cmake is a meta build system: it relies on something else to actually
instruct compilers and friends.  On most *nix systems it defaults to GNU
make, on windows it can create msvc or mingw (which is what you use, I
get?), and so on.
Ninja is comparable to those latter tools, rather than cmake, and it
happens to be cross platform.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

GPG Key: 66AE 2B4A FCCF 3F52 DA18  4D18 4B04 3FCD B944 4540      .''`.
more about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :
Launchpad user: https://launchpad.net/~mapreri                  `. `'`
Debian QA page: https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=mattia  `-

https://ninja-build.org/manual.html#_philosophical_overview

On 1 March 2017 at 22:31, Eduard Braun <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Am 01.03.2017 um 22:21 schrieb Olof Bjarnason:
>>
>> What does ninja do more technically? Magic? :D
>

> https://ninja-build.org/manual.html#_philosophical_overview

Cool, sounds like a neat philosophy.

And there's even instructions ready on the wiki!

http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/CMake#Using_CMake_with_Ninja_to_build_Inkscape

Here:

mkdir build
cd build
cmake -G Ninja /path/to/inkscape
ninja
ninja install

Re: is it possible to speed up CMake?

Yale Zhang
I have a feeling the reason CMake is slow is because it generates
recursive makefiles.

Recursive makefiles are a sin. The dependence graph is incomplete
because each instance of make only knows about a part of the
dependence graph stored in the current makefile being processed. This
can lead to lots of problems:

1. race conditions (for manually written makefiles - hopefuly CMake
doesn't make such mistakes)
2. *inefficient* (if a bunch of sub projects depends on another common
project, the dependence checking will be repeated lots of times)

http://aegis.sourceforge.net/auug97.pdf

I'm guessing Ninja is fast because it uses a whole project makefile? I
wish the UNIX makefile backend for CMake can be rewritten to do the
same. BTW, a whole project makefile doesn't mean putting everything in
1 file. It would be a bunch of makefiles and helper makefiles joined
together using include statements.

I've had the experience of rewriting a set of recursive makefiles to a
whole project makefile and 1 big pain was homographic variables
overwriting each other. Often in each makefile, we want to access
files several directories up, so there would be a variable like
TOP_LEVEL = ../../../../

But TOP_LEVEL can be different for each project, so you have to be
careful that they don't clash.

For me, a 1 line change takes 30s to build.

On Wed, 2017-03-01 at 22:31 +0100, Eduard Braun wrote:
> Am 01.03.2017 um 22:21 schrieb Olof Bjarnason:
> > What does ninja do more technically? Magic? :D
>
> https://ninja-build.org/manual.html#_philosophical_overview

Is this something that should be documented on the windows building
READMEs, wikis etc etc?

Sounds like something that should be default for windows devs.

Re: is it possible to speed up CMake?

Yale Zhang
It's not just the Windows builds that are slow. Any where you use the
generated UNIX makefiles, it will be slow.

Has anyone benchmarked Ninja vs GNU make build times for a one line
change on Linux?

My current incremental build time using GNU make is ~30s. I've never
tried Ninja, but if it's a big gain, I'll switch.

Am 02.03.2017 um 00:26 schrieb Martin Owens:
> Is this something that should be documented on the windows building
> READMEs, wikis etc etc?
>
> Sounds like something that should be default for windows devs.
>
> Best Regards, Martin Owens

As noted before I already added a section on ninja in our Wiki [1] and
linked to it from the articles on building Inkscape on Windows [2,3].
I only figured it out myself about 2 weeks ago, so I guess it did not
get about yet...

Regards,
Eduard

[1]
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/CMake#Using_CMake_with_Ninja_to_build_Inkscape
[2] http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Compiling_Inkscape_on_Windows
[3]
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Compiling_Inkscape_on_Windows_64-bit

Re: is it possible to speed up CMake?

Tavmjong Bah
On Wed, 2017-03-01 at 17:22 -0800, Yale Zhang wrote:
> It's not just the Windows builds that are slow. Any where you use the
> generated UNIX makefiles, it will be slow.
>
> Has anyone benchmarked Ninja vs GNU make build times for a one line
> change on Linux?
>
> My current incremental build time using GNU make is ~30s. I've never
> tried Ninja, but if it's a big gain, I'll switch.

I just switched a couple of weeks ago. For me:

 GNU Make  ~30s
 Ninja     ~15s

The difference is even greater if you've made a typo and the file
doesn't compile.

Tav

Re: is it possible to speed up CMake?

Tobias Ellinghaus
Am Mittwoch, 1. März 2017, 13:19:05 CET schrieb alvinpenner:

> on Windows 10, current trunk, I normally execute the following two Cmake
> commands:
> mingw32-make -j 2
> mingw32-make install
>
> The time required for this is 300 seconds, 150 seconds for each step. This
> time is the same no matter how small the change, even if I just insert one
> single blank character somewhere.
> Previously, using btool, the total time required for this would be about 10
> seconds or so, for a complete rebuild of Inkscape.
> So CMake is about 30 times slower than btool, which makes it almost
> impossible to do diagnostic work with Inkscape, any way of speeding it up?
At least with "make" you can speed that up a bit by running

mingw32-make -j2 install

right away. It will build everything that needs to be build and you save one
pass of dependency checking. Not sure about ninja, but I would guess it
behaves similar.

> Alvin

Tobias

Re: is it possible to speed up CMake?

Bardot Jérôme
Hello,

Does cmake clean the "cache" (.o, etc) ?

The make installé take a constant time no ? Maybe it s the bottle neck ?

Le 2 mars 2017 11:40:18 CET, Tobias Ellinghaus <[hidden email]> a écrit :
[...]

Alexander Brock
On 03/02/2017 02:22 AM, Yale Zhang wrote:
> It's not just the Windows builds that are slow. Any where you use the
> generated UNIX makefiles, it will be slow.
>
> Has anyone benchmarked Ninja vs GNU make build times for a one line
> change on Linux?

I was curious so I tested it (Debian jessie 64 bit) and measured the
times. Ninja is consistently faster but now by much in most cases.

== Not changing anything in the sources and rebuilding ==

"make -j8" without changing anything
real 0m7.342s
user 0m12.732s
sys 0m1.384s

"ninja -j8" without changing anything
real 0m0.239s
user 0m0.200s
sys 0m0.028s

== Changing a single file and rebuilding ==

"make -j8" after "touch src/2geom/path.cpp" which triggers
re-compilation of path.cpp and relinking of lib2geom, libinkscape_base,
inkscape, tests etc.
real 0m20.341s
user 0m35.060s
sys 0m3.892s

"ninja -j8" after "touch src/2geom/path.cpp"
real 0m15.573s
user 0m22.352s
sys 0m2.444s

== Changing a couple of files and rebuilding ==

"make -j8" after "touch src/2geom/*.cpp"
real 0m34.858s
user 2m21.760s
sys 0m15.516s

"ninja -j8"
real 0m28.501s
user 2m3.020s
sys 0m13.848s

== I'm working on lib2geom (outside Inkscape) and changed things in
path.cpp so I measured the build times too ==

"make -j8"
real 0m16.633s
user 1m18.732s
sys 0m9.208s

real 0m16.219s
user 1m19.020s
sys 0m9.496s

real 0m16.680s
user 1m18.376s
sys 0m9.856s

"ninja -j8"
real 0m15.840s
user 1m16.016s
sys 0m8.580s

real 0m15.782s
user 1m15.784s
sys 0m8.728s

== Re-building Inkscape from scratch ==

"cmake -G Ninja -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug ../trunk/"
real 0m9.123s
user 0m6.300s
sys 0m0.888s

"ninja -j8" on the freshly generated ninja files, building the whole
project:
real 7m8.485s
user 49m15.668s
sys 5m7.628s

"cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug ../trunk/"
real 0m10.208s
user 0m7.100s
sys 0m1.160s

"make -j8"