organizing external extensions - need a little help

organizing external extensions - need a little help

Brynn
Hi Friends,
        I'm working on a project to list all the external extensions, on the
same page where I have all the best tutorials listed
(https://forum.inkscapecommunity.com/index.php)

        I already have a list made -- approx 300 of them.  And I've made an
attempt at organizing them.  I'm using the current Extensions menu as a starting
place for categories.  That seems like the most logical way in which users might
search for them (or expect to find them).

        The Render and Export categories have so many that I've made
sub-categories.  Plus I made a new one called Animation, which holds both
animation and presentation type of extensions.

        But I'm stuck with approx 45 of them which I'm not sure where they would
belong.  Plus, I might not have gotten the ones I did organize in the proper
place.  Often extensions might fit in more than one category, but usually one is
better than the other.

        I wonder if anyone might have some time, to help me out with this?  I've
uploaded an ODT file as an attachment in this forum topic (which I've also
requested any forum members who might have time to help).
https://forum.inkscapecommunity.com/index.php?topic=1261.0

        For clarity, these are specifically what I need help with:

-- At the bottom (last 3 pages) is a category called "Unsure".  Those are the
ones I need the most help with.  Ideally I'd like all of them
categorized....except that there are several extensions I found which don't have
descriptions, and their titles aren't very helpful with knowing what they do
either.  So there could realistically be a few left over which can't fit into a
category.

-- There are subcategories in Render and Export called "Other" (among several
other subcats).  There should be several extensions from "Other" which can fit
into other subcategories.

-- Generally if you notice any that I put in the wrong place, please move them
to the correct place.

        For anyone who can help, please just edit that file, and upload it
somewhere.  (The file itself is just my working list.  It's not going on the
webpage, so don't worry about the formatting or font.  I'll deal with that when
I code the page.)

        I really appreciate any help which anyone can offer.  And I think it
will benefit the community as well, to have sort of a master list available, so
users don't have to spend so much time searching the internet.

Thank you very much,

Re: organizing external extensions - need a little help

Martin Owens-2
Hi Brynn,

This is great work, thanks for taking this on.

You might like to use google docs to draft the document with multiple
collaborators instead of passing around and odt file. It should make
things easier.

Ultimately. I'd like to see this information eventually makes it's way
to the Inkscape website itself under the extensions gallery. Links can
be posted and authors other than the uploader can be specified. Tags
then used to categorise them.

But of course, this can wait until your good work of documenting them
can be completed.

Best Regards, Martin Owens

On Mon, 2018-07-30 at 22:40 -0600, brynn wrote:

> [...]
>
> -- Generally if you notice any that I put in the wrong place, please
> move them
> to the correct place.
>
>         For anyone who can help, please just edit that file, and
> upload it
> somewhere.  (The file itself is just my working list.  It's not going
> on the
> webpage, so don't worry about the formatting or font.  I'll deal with
> that when
> I code the page.)
>
>         I really appreciate any help which anyone can offer.  And I
> think it
> will benefit the community as well, to have sort of a master list
> available, so
> users don't have to spend so much time searching the internet.
>
> Thank you very much,
> brynn

Re: organizing external extensions - need a little help

Thanks for your comments, Martin, and sorry for my delay in responding.

Well I was assuming the Inkscape website would not be interested in this,
because it's almost all 3rd party links.  But I never thought of putting them in
the gallery.

If there were some way to upload these 300 or so extensions to the gallery, in
one or more multiple uploads, or ideally, all at once, I wouldn't mind going
through them and adding the tags and descriptions, one by one.  But uploading
one by one - omg

Would it be possible to send them to you, and you could upload via FTP or some
similar means, all at once?  Maybe I could organize them in some way, to make
that work better?  Then I could go through and add the tags and description.

Oohh....I should probably start learning how to write scripts myself, since I
seem to have a pretty good understanding of how they work.  But wouldn't it be
possible to write some kind of script, to pick out the info from a
document....or maybe I could make the info into a database or something?  I
mean, where the script would upload them AND add the tags and description?  Or
would that be a really major effort?

Regarding using some other type of document, I wasn't expecting it would be
passed around to a lot of people.  I was thinking maybe one or 2 people might be
interested enough, and that would be about all that's needed.

Plus, the document itself, as I said, is kind of irrelevant.  Whether I put the
info on the Inkscape website or mine, or both, the document is just to organize
the info - the working file.  It won't be used on either website.

Thanks again,

> [...]

> -- Generally if you notice any that I put in the wrong place, please
> move them
> to the correct place.
>
>         For anyone who can help, please just edit that file, and
> upload it
> somewhere.  (The file itself is just my working list.  It's not going
> on the
> webpage, so don't worry about the formatting or font.  I'll deal with
> that when
> I code the page.)
>
>         I really appreciate any help which anyone can offer.  And I
> think it
> will benefit the community as well, to have sort of a master list
> available, so
> users don't have to spend so much time searching the internet.
>
> Thank you very much,
> brynn

Re: organizing external extensions - need a little help

It depends if what you have is links to extensions, or if you intend to
upload the actual extension packages themselves.

If you have files, the process of getting them all uploaded is simpler
as you can drag+drop the files onto the blue "Submit Resource" button
on the website, it's designed to be able to do multiple uploads for
things like photos from an event. They won't be published, but if you
upload them to a gallery (drop them onto the submit button inside one
of your own gallery pages, instead of the generic listing page.

https://inkscape.org/en/~brynn/resources/

As you edit them, you should be able to save and automatically go to
the next one, allowing you to move through the items one by one
quickly.

There's no similar thing for links though. ☹

Best Regards, Martin Owens

On Wed, 2018-08-08 at 01:27 -0600, brynn wrote:

> Thanks for your comments, Martin, and sorry for my delay in
> responding.
>
> Well I was assuming the Inkscape website would not be interested in
> this,
> because it's almost all 3rd party links.  But I never thought of
> putting them in
> the gallery.
>
> If there were some way to upload these 300 or so extensions to the
> gallery, in
> one or more multiple uploads, or ideally, all at once, I wouldn't
> mind going
> through them and adding the tags and descriptions, one by one.  But
> uploading
> one by one - omg
>
> Would it be possible to send them to you, and you could upload via
> FTP or some
> similar means, all at once?  Maybe I could organize them in some way,
> to make
> that work better?  Then I could go through and add the tags and
> description.
>
> Oohh....I should probably start learning how to write scripts myself,
> since I
> seem to have a pretty good understanding of how they work.  But
> wouldn't it be
> possible to write some kind of script, to pick out the info from a
> document....or maybe I could make the info into a database or
> something?  I
> mean, where the script would upload them AND add the tags and
> description?  Or
> would that be a really major effort?
>
> Regarding using some other type of document, I wasn't expecting it
> would be
> passed around to a lot of people.  I was thinking maybe one or 2
> people might be
> interested enough, and that would be about all that's needed.
>
> Plus, the document itself, as I said, is kind of irrelevant.  Whether
> I put the
> info on the Inkscape website or mine, or both, the document is just
> to organize
> the info - the working file.  It won't be used on either website.
>
> Thanks again,
> brynn

Maren Hachmann
Just a note: remember to look for licences. Only extensions that
explicitly state one can be uploaded, unless you have the author's
permission. For others, only links should be used.

If extensions are not connected to their author's account, I think links
make a lot more sense, because when the extension is updated on the
author's page, nobody is going to update the files on the Inkscape
website. They'll get outdated quickly.

If the author uploads the extensions, updating is their responsibility
:) If you do, it's yours - that's why I have not done this previously.

Maren

Am 08.08.2018 um 13:16 schrieb [hidden email]:

> [...]
>> possible to write some kind of script, to pick out the info from a
>> document....or maybe I could make the info into a database or
>> something?  I
>> mean, where the script would upload them AND add the tags and
>> description?  Or
>> would that be a really major effort?
>>
>> Regarding using some other type of document, I wasn't expecting it
>> would be
>> passed around to a lot of people.  I was thinking maybe one or 2
>> people might be
>> interested enough, and that would be about all that's needed.
>>
>> Plus, the document itself, as I said, is kind of irrelevant.  Whether
>> I put the
>> info on the Inkscape website or mine, or both, the document is just
>> to organize
>> the info - the working file.  It won't be used on either website.

Oh, too bad then.   I was only thinking about uploading links.  I think I would
have to contact each author to get permission to upload the extension packages
to the gallery, wouldn't I?  And some of them would probably need a license
changed. No, that's more than I could handle alone.

I guess Mark Shafer is working on contacting the authors, slowly but surely.  If
he wanted to work together on it, I'd be up for helping, though.

I guess I'll just list them on Inkscape Community, at least for now.  If I find
some spare time I might think about uploading links to the gallery.  I'll put it
on my to-do list -- eventually it will get to the top!

> [...]

> possible to write some kind of script, to pick out the info from a
> document....or maybe I could make the info into a database or
> something?  I
> mean, where the script would upload them AND add the tags and
> description?  Or
> would that be a really major effort?
>
> Regarding using some other type of document, I wasn't expecting it
> would be
> passed around to a lot of people.  I was thinking maybe one or 2
> people might be
> interested enough, and that would be about all that's needed.
>
> Plus, the document itself, as I said, is kind of irrelevant.  Whether
> I put the
> info on the Inkscape website or mine, or both, the document is just
> to organize
> the info - the working file.  It won't be used on either website.

Hi again,
        I'm digging this up again, because I think I might have found a
solution.  I just need to confirm it.  I've just been going through all the ones
I'm not sure where they should go, and digging a little deeper into their
documentation.  I finally found a few more that way.

        I just happened to open the INX file for one of them, by accidental
click (in github), but I decided to just skim over it out of curiousity what the
code looks like.   I noticed a section which looks like this:

<effect>
    <object-type>all</object-type>
        <effects-menu>
            <submenu _name="Render"/>
        </effects-menu>
</effect>

        Would I be correct that this one's going to show up in the Render
submenu?

        If that's correct, then bingo!  All I have to do is look at the INX
files, to find out what menu they go in!  If not, well, I'm back where I
started.  But this looks like it might be a winner?

Thanks for your help,

Am 03.09.2018 um 23:40 schrieb brynn:

> <effect>
>    <object-type>all</object-type>
>        <effects-menu>
>            <submenu _name="Render"/>
>        </effects-menu>
> </effect>
>
>        Would I be correct that this one's going to show up in the Render
> submenu?
>
>        If that's correct, then bingo!  All I have to do is look at the
> INX files, to find out what menu they go in!  If not, well, I'm back
> where I started.  But this looks like it might be a winner?

- Yes, you've figured that out correctly.

Maren