[pghosh@isical.ac.in: Suggesting new feature for Pencil Tool]

Bryce Harrington-3
----- Forwarded message from pghosh <[hidden email]> -----

Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2019 14:52:54 +0530
From: pghosh <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Suggesting new feature for Pencil Tool

Dear members of Inkscape Development Team,

I convey my greetings to all of you.

I propose a new feature for interactive path creation by Pencil Tool
in Inkscape.

This code constructs a final path based on series strokes, each
created with the help of mouse/pen/stylus movement. New stroke(s)
replaces part of the path created with earlier stroke(s). This
feature will help the artists who prefer to draw a figure (path)
with small successive pencil strokes.

Closest available function is the Tweak tools (e.g., Push/Attract
Path) and path averaging option of Pencil Tool.

My code needs to work in an interactive manner, as a part of Pencil
Tool and I could not embed it in the source code of Inkscape. I
would like to collaborate with one of the developers.

To show how it works I have written a single Python file using only
PyQt5 library. This code has its own simple interactive GUI that I
have tested it in MS Windows platform.

If the developers find this demo version useful then it will be
possible to extract the required functions and integrate them to the
main Inkscape code.

I shall remain grateful if someone can try this code and give feedback.

Please let me know how I can send you the python code and a set of
instructions. Should I attach the files with an e-mail to this
address?

With regards

Partha

===================
Dr. Parthasarathi Ghosh
Professor
Geological Studies Unit
Indian Statistical Institute
203 B T Road, Kolkata 700108, India

Re: [pghosh@isical.ac.in: Suggesting new feature for Pencil Tool]

C R
Sounds like a cool feature. Would certainly help get more precision using an external Tablet. If you're looking for votes, I vote yes :)

-C

----- Forwarded message from pghosh <[hidden email]> -----

Re: [pghosh@isical.ac.in: Suggesting new feature for Pencil Tool]

Bryce Harrington-3
[Not sure pghosh is a list member]

On Sun, Dec 01, 2019 at 07:57:33PM +0000, C R wrote:

> Sounds like a cool feature. Would certainly help get more precision using
> an external Tablet. If you're looking for votes, I vote yes :)
>
> -C
>
> On Sun, 1 Dec 2019, 18:06 Bryce Harrington, <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > ----- Forwarded message from pghosh <[hidden email]> -----
> >
> > Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2019 14:52:54 +0530
> > From: pghosh <[hidden email]>
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Subject: Suggesting new feature for Pencil Tool
> >
> > Dear members of Inkscape Development Team,
> >
> > I convey my greetings to all of you.
> >
> > I propose a new feature for interactive path creation by Pencil Tool
> > in Inkscape.
> >
> > This code constructs a final path based on series strokes, each
> > created with the help of mouse/pen/stylus movement. New stroke(s)
> > replaces part of the path created with earlier stroke(s). This
> > feature will help the artists who prefer to draw a figure (path)
> > with small successive pencil strokes.
> >
> > Closest available function is the Tweak tools (e.g., Push/Attract
> > Path) and path averaging option of Pencil Tool.
> >
> > My code needs to work in an interactive manner, as a part of Pencil
> > Tool and I could not embed it in the source code of Inkscape. I
> > would like to collaborate with one of the developers.
> >
> > To show how it works I have written a single Python file using only
> > PyQt5 library. This code has its own simple interactive GUI that I
> > have tested it in MS Windows platform.
> >
> > If the developers find this demo version useful then it will be
> > possible to extract the required functions and integrate them to the
> > main Inkscape code.
> >
> > I shall remain grateful if someone can try this code and give feedback.
> >
> > Please let me know how I can send you the python code and a set of
> > instructions. Should I attach the files with an e-mail to this
> > address?
> >
> > With regards
> >
> > Partha
> >
> > ===================
> > Dr. Parthasarathi Ghosh
> > Professor
> > Geological Studies Unit
> > Indian Statistical Institute
> > 203 B T Road, Kolkata 700108, India

Re: [pghosh@isical.ac.in: Suggesting new feature for Pencil Tool]

doctormo
Mc, Patrick and Myself had a look at the feature (it has an easy to use
python Qt5 demonstration that worked easily on Ubuntu 18.04)

I've recommended that an animated gif demonstration be drawn up to
express the feature and warned that no new feature can be added until
after the freeze.

But it is a cool feature (having used it)

Best Regards, Martin Owens

On Sun, 2019-12-01 at 13:04 -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:

> [Not sure pghosh is a list member]
>
> On Sun, Dec 01, 2019 at 07:57:33PM +0000, C R wrote:
> > Sounds like a cool feature. Would certainly help get more precision
> > using
> > an external Tablet. If you're looking for votes, I vote yes :)
> >
> > -C
> >
> > On Sun, 1 Dec 2019, 18:06 Bryce Harrington, <
> > [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > ----- Forwarded message from pghosh <[hidden email]> -----
> > >
> > > Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2019 14:52:54 +0530
> > > From: pghosh <[hidden email]>
> > > To: [hidden email]
> > > Subject: Suggesting new feature for Pencil Tool
> > >
> > > Dear members of Inkscape Development Team,
> > >
> > > I convey my greetings to all of you.
> > >
> > > I propose a new feature for interactive path creation by Pencil
> > > Tool
> > > in Inkscape.
> > >
> > > This code constructs a final path based on series strokes, each
> > > created with the help of mouse/pen/stylus movement. New stroke(s)
> > > replaces part of the path created with earlier stroke(s). This
> > > feature will help the artists who prefer to draw a figure (path)
> > > with small successive pencil strokes.
> > >
> > > Closest available function is the Tweak tools (e.g., Push/Attract
> > > Path) and path averaging option of Pencil Tool.
> > >
> > > My code needs to work in an interactive manner, as a part of
> > > Pencil
> > > Tool and I could not embed it in the source code of Inkscape. I
> > > would like to collaborate with one of the developers.
> > >
> > > To show how it works I have written a single Python file using
> > > only
> > > PyQt5 library. This code has its own simple interactive GUI that
> > > have tested it in MS Windows platform.
> > >
> > > If the developers find this demo version useful then it will be
> > > possible to extract the required functions and integrate them to
> > > the
> > > main Inkscape code.
> > >
> > > I shall remain grateful if someone can try this code and give
> > > feedback.
> > >
> > > Please let me know how I can send you the python code and a set
> > > of
> > > instructions. Should I attach the files with an e-mail to this
> > > address?
> > >
> > > With regards
> > >
> > > Partha
> > >
> > > ===================
> > > Dr. Parthasarathi Ghosh
> > > Professor
> > > Geological Studies Unit
> > > Indian Statistical Institute
> > > 203 B T Road, Kolkata 700108, India

Re: [pghosh@isical.ac.in: Suggesting new feature for Pencil Tool]

Marc Jeanmougin
For information, the tool is available on
https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inbox/issues/1256

--
Mc