pressure sensitivity for Pencil tool using powerstroke?

1234

pressure sensitivity for Pencil tool using powerstroke?

Brynn
Hi Friends,
        Someone has recently posted on a forum, asking for a tool which combines
pressure sensitivity of Calligraphy, freehand, powerstroke, and simplify, all in
one tool.  I explained we have something pretty close to that with Pencil,
Triangle In/Out, with Simplify option.

        But it made me start to wonder.  The Calligraphy tool must have been
chosen for pressure sensitivity, at least in part because it can achieve
variable width.  Well now that we have powerstroke, I wonder if it would it be
possible to give pressure sensitivity to the Pencil tool, using powerstroke?

        Probably a wild thought.  But can't hurt to ask.  Just asking if that,
or something like it would be possible.

Re: pressure sensitivity for Pencil tool using powerstroke?

Jabier Arraiza
Hi Brynn.

Great and easy to do. I could do if we want. The problem is no realtime
preview, so you need to finish the path to see the variable width.

Maybe I can add a preview while drawing but this is more complex.

Cheers, Jabier.

On Sun, 2017-08-20 at 21:39 -0600, brynn wrote:

> Hi Friends,
>         Someone has recently posted on a forum, asking for a tool
> which combines
> pressure sensitivity of Calligraphy, freehand, powerstroke, and
> simplify, all in
> one tool.  I explained we have something pretty close to that with
> Pencil,
> Triangle In/Out, with Simplify option.
>
>         But it made me start to wonder.  The Calligraphy tool must
> have been
> chosen for pressure sensitivity, at least in part because it can
> achieve
> variable width.  Well now that we have powerstroke, I wonder if it
> would it be
> possible to give pressure sensitivity to the Pencil tool, using
> powerstroke?
>
>         Probably a wild thought.  But can't hurt to ask.  Just asking
> if that,
> or something like it would be possible.
>
> Thanks,
> brynn

Re: pressure sensitivity for Pencil tool using powerstroke?

Brynn
> Hi Brynn.

Great and easy to do. I could do if we want. The problem is no realtime
preview, so you need to finish the path to see the variable width.

Maybe I can add a preview while drawing but this is more complex.

Cheers, Jabier.

How would it work?  Would it add pink nodes where the pressure is greater?  And
then the artist drags them after the path is finished?  Or would the variable
width be immediately evident when the path is finished?

And it would only work with graphics tablets?

One benefit for such a tool (it seems to me) would be that the number of nodes
probably would not build up so fast, as it does with Calligraphy.

Thanks, Jabier.  I'll try to get this guy to subscribe so he can discuss
directly.

All best,,

Re: pressure sensitivity for Pencil tool using powerstroke?

Jabier Arraiza
I wait he present to the list to reply.

Cheers, Jabier.

On Mon, 2017-08-21 at 05:44 -0600, brynn wrote:

> > Hi Brynn.
>
> Great and easy to do. I could do if we want. The problem is no
> realtime
> preview, so you need to finish the path to see the variable width.
>
> Maybe I can add a preview while drawing but this is more complex.
>
> Cheers, Jabier.
>
> How would it work?  Would it add pink nodes where the pressure is
> greater?  And
> then the artist drags them after the path is finished?  Or would the
> variable
> width be immediately evident when the path is finished?
>
> And it would only work with graphics tablets?
>
> One benefit for such a tool (it seems to me) would be that the number
> of nodes
> probably would not build up so fast, as it does with Calligraphy.
>
> Thanks, Jabier.  I'll try to get this guy to subscribe so he can
> discuss
> directly.
>
> All best,,
> brynn

Nate Yungkans
Hi All,
I'm Nate, the one who posted in the forums. I started just asking if the feature existed, but was told I should ask for it as a feature so here I am. Hello :)  First I wanted to say I love the program and find the features super useful. The powerstroke is one of the coolest features and I am having a lot of fun playing around with it. I have been an Adobe Illustrator for years but I am already enjoying inkscape more. Anyways, the reason I was asking about pressure sensitive line work is because it could be a huge time saver for manga art(or any extensive line art) where line work is incredibly important. It seems like all of the features actually exist in Inkscape, but not together as a tool. The calligraphy pen works nicely with pressure and the mass(for precision), but if the line needs to be edited in an meaningful way, they basically need to be redrawn.

The powerstroke feature is awesome, but in its current state may require a lot of manual setting line thicknesses if there are a lot of complicated lines. Being able to control the stroke width via pressure would make it a very smooth process. Unfortunately it would not be as useful without a preview as you draw. Maybe it could use the same preview the calligraphy tool uses? Even if that isn't a 100% representation of the final product, it would guide the user to understand how much pressure they are applying.

I asked about an auto simplify feature not only for the benefit of reducing the number of nodes, but also in aiding fast smoothed line work. I see that a line drawn with a pencil has a smoothing feature, maybe that can also be applied to the powerstroke outer lines as well; or maybe the pressure has an adjustable sample rate?

Additionally, it would be fantastic if there was a way to increase or decrease the relative distance of the powerstroke nodes from main path. In essence it would be like increasing or decreasing the width of the powerstroke. As an example I recorded my screen using a variable brush tool in Illustrator. It reads the pen pressure and applies it to the stroke, but also allows that stroke to be increases or decreased.

Screen capture example Video: https://youtu.be/u78JlGD9Y34

Example of the adobe brush tool simplify/fidelity options: https://youtu.be/iIW_oeUcO2E?t=144

That same tool in adobe also has settings to control/limit the brush size and shape. I've been utilizing mass, thinning and fixation to accomplish this effect in Inkscape.

Inline image 4

I think that covers what I was originally asking about and more. Hopefully it was not too much. Thanks so much for all the hard work you have put into the program!  I know this software is a lot of work and new features are no small thing. I am not really a programmer so I can't contribute to the effort that way, but if you have a need or desire to include a UX/UI designer I would be happy to help!

Manga line example that I did not draw:
Inline image 3

If you got through the whole email, thanks for listening!
-Nate

--
Nate

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 4:31 PM, Jabier Arraiza <[hidden email]> wrote:
I wait he present to the list to reply.

Cheers, Jabier.

On Mon, 2017-08-21 at 05:44 -0600, brynn wrote:
> > Hi Brynn.
>
> Great and easy to do. I could do if we want. The problem is no
> realtime
> preview, so you need to finish the path to see the variable width.
>
> Maybe I can add a preview while drawing but this is more complex.
>
> Cheers, Jabier.
>
> How would it work?  Would it add pink nodes where the pressure is
> greater?  And
> then the artist drags them after the path is finished?  Or would the
> variable
> width be immediately evident when the path is finished?
>
> And it would only work with graphics tablets?
>
> One benefit for such a tool (it seems to me) would be that the number
> of nodes
> probably would not build up so fast, as it does with Calligraphy.
>
> Thanks, Jabier.  I'll try to get this guy to subscribe so he can
> discuss
> directly.
>
> All best,,
> brynn

Nate, we probably can use a(nother) UX designer!  I'm sure they will chime in.
Or else, if you see messages with UX in the title, you can join in.  I think
there might be a section in the wiki for UX??  I tried to find it, but only
found years old pages, but here's the wiki:
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Inkscape.

https://youtu.be/iIW_oeUcO2E?t=97

wrote:
I wait he present to the list to reply.

Cheers, Jabier.

On Mon, 2017-08-21 at 05:44 -0600, brynn wrote:

> > Hi Brynn.
>
> Great and easy to do. I could do if we want. The problem is no
> realtime
> preview, so you need to finish the path to see the variable width.
>
> Maybe I can add a preview while drawing but this is more complex.
>
> Cheers, Jabier.
>
> How would it work?  Would it add pink nodes where the pressure is
> greater?  And
> then the artist drags them after the path is finished?  Or would the
> variable
> width be immediately evident when the path is finished?
>
> And it would only work with graphics tablets?
>
> One benefit for such a tool (it seems to me) would be that the number
> of nodes
> probably would not build up so fast, as it does with Calligraphy.
>
> Thanks, Jabier.  I'll try to get this guy to subscribe so he can
> discuss
> directly.
>
> All best,,
> brynn

Hi Nate.

On Mon, 2017-08-21 at 22:36 -0400, Nate Yungkans wrote:

> Hi All,
> I'm Nate, the one who posted in the forums. I started just asking if
> the feature existed, but was told I should ask for it as a feature so
> here I am. Hello :)  First I wanted to say I love the program and
> find the features super useful. The powerstroke is one of the coolest
> features and I am having a lot of fun playing around with it. I have
> been an Adobe Illustrator for years but I am already enjoying
> inkscape more. Anyways, the reason I was asking about pressure
> sensitive line work is because it could be a huge time saver for
> manga art(or any extensive line art) where line work is incredibly
> important. It seems like all of the features actually exist in
> Inkscape, but not together as a tool. The calligraphy pen works
> nicely with pressure and the mass(for precision), but if the line
> needs to be edited in an meaningful way, they basically need to be
> redrawn.
Apply Mass is a problem but pressure not too much

> The powerstroke feature is awesome, but in its current state may
> require a lot of manual setting line thicknesses if there are a lot
> of complicated lines. Being able to control the stroke width via
> pressure would make it a very smooth process. Unfortunately it would
> not be as useful without a preview as you draw. Maybe it could use
> the same preview the calligraphy tool uses? Even if that isn't a 100%
> representation of the final product, it would guide the user to
> understand how much pressure they are applying.

I agree and try to do

> I asked about an auto simplify feature not only for the benefit of
> reducing the number of nodes, but also in aiding fast smoothed line
> work. I see that a line drawn with a pencil has a smoothing feature,
> maybe that can also be applied to the powerstroke outer lines as
> well; or maybe the pressure has an adjustable sample rate?

Great idea

> Additionally, it would be fantastic if there was a way to increase or
> decrease the relative distance of the powerstroke nodes from main
> path. In essence it would be like increasing or decreasing the width
> of the powerstroke. As an example I recorded my screen using a
> variable brush tool in Illustrator. It reads the pen pressure and
> applies it to the stroke, but also allows that stroke to be increases
> or decreased.

Great and easy to do

> If you got through the whole email, thanks for listening!
> -Nate

See you soon

> --
> Nate
>
> On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 4:31 PM, Jabier Arraiza <jabier.arraiza@marke
> r.es> wrote:
> > I wait he present to the list to reply.
> >
> > Cheers, Jabier.

> > > Great and easy to do. I could do if we want. The problem is no
> > > realtime
> > > preview, so you need to finish the path to see the variable
> > width.
> > >
> > > Maybe I can add a preview while drawing but this is more complex.
> > >
> > > Cheers, Jabier.
> > >
> > > How would it work?  Would it add pink nodes where the pressure is
> > > greater?  And
> > > then the artist drags them after the path is finished?  Or would
> > the
> > > variable
> > > width be immediately evident when the path is finished?
> > >
> > > And it would only work with graphics tablets?
> > >
> > > One benefit for such a tool (it seems to me) would be that the
> > number
> > > of nodes
> > > probably would not build up so fast, as it does with Calligraphy.
> > >
> > > Thanks, Jabier.  I'll try to get this guy to subscribe so he can
> > > discuss
> > > directly.
> > >
> > > All best,,
> > > brynn

Hi all!

This week I do a similar implementation and mark it for merge request.
Here are a preview of the new branch running:
https://archive.org/details/inkscapepencilpressure

All the best, Jabier.

> [...]

> > > realtime
> > > preview, so you need to finish the path to see the variable
> > width.
> > >
> > > Maybe I can add a preview while drawing but this is more complex.
> > >
> > > Cheers, Jabier.
> > >
> > > How would it work?  Would it add pink nodes where the pressure is
> > > greater?  And
> > > then the artist drags them after the path is finished?  Or would
> > the
> > > variable
> > > width be immediately evident when the path is finished?
> > >
> > > And it would only work with graphics tablets?
> > >
> > > One benefit for such a tool (it seems to me) would be that the
> > number
> > > of nodes
> > > probably would not build up so fast, as it does with Calligraphy.
> > >
> > > Thanks, Jabier.  I'll try to get this guy to subscribe so he can

Inkscape - Dev mailing list
Very convincing ! And there we have even more control than Expression for simple lines !

ivan

Le Lundi 28 août 2017 0h27, Jabier Arraiza <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> [...]

> > > realtime
> > > preview, so you need to finish the path to see the variable
> > width.
> > >
> > > Maybe I can add a preview while drawing but this is more complex.
> > >
> > > Cheers, Jabier.
> > >
> > > How would it work?  Would it add pink nodes where the pressure is
> > > greater?  And
> > > then the artist drags them after the path is finished?  Or would
> > the
> > > variable
> > > width be immediately evident when the path is finished?
> > >
> > > And it would only work with graphics tablets?
> > >
> > > One benefit for such a tool (it seems to me) would be that the
> > number
> > > of nodes
> > > probably would not build up so fast, as it does with Calligraphy.
> > >
> > > Thanks, Jabier.  I'll try to get this guy to subscribe so he can

Thanks for the feedback!!!
Expression is still more powerful in a lot of areas, here again with
skeletal strokes. Maybe in the future...

Great to hear you again, Jabier.

On Sun, 2017-08-27 at 22:38 +0000, Ivan Louette wrote:

> [...]
> > utu.be/iIW_oeUcO2E?t=144
> >
> > That same tool in adobe also has settings to control/limit the
> brush
> > size and shape. I've been utilizing mass, thinning and fixation to
> > accomplish this effect in Inkscape.
> >

> >  https://youtu.be/iIW_oeUcO2E?t=97
> >

> > I think that covers what I was originally asking about and more.
> > Hopefully it was not too much. Thanks so much for all the hard work
> > you have put into the program!  I know this software is a lot of
> work
> > and new features are no small thing. I am not really a programmer
> so
> > I can't contribute to the effort that way, but if you have a need
> or
> > desire to include a UX/UI designer I would be happy to help!
> >
> > Manga line example that I did not draw:
> >

> > If you got through the whole email, thanks for listening!

Miguel Lopez

I like the work that's being done, by the way, I have a suggestion. You know how you can spray objects and have the path joined together, right? I'd like to see the option to do that while stroking.

On 8/27/2017 6:38 PM, Ivan Louette via Inkscape-devel wrote:
> [...]

> > > realtime
> > > preview, so you need to finish the path to see the variable
> > width.
> > >
> > > Maybe I can add a preview while drawing but this is more complex.
> > >
> > > Cheers, Jabier.
> > >
> > > How would it work?  Would it add pink nodes where the pressure is
> > > greater?  And
> > > then the artist drags them after the path is finished?  Or would
> > the
> > > variable
> > > width be immediately evident when the path is finished?
> > >
> > > And it would only work with graphics tablets?
> > >
> > > One benefit for such a tool (it seems to me) would be that the
> > number
> > > of nodes
> > > probably would not build up so fast, as it does with Calligraphy.
> > >
> > > Thanks, Jabier.  I'll try to get this guy to subscribe so he can

Raghavendra kamath
On Monday 28 August 2017 3:56:16 AM IST Jabier Arraiza wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> This week I do a similar implementation and mark it for merge request.
> Here are a preview of the new branch running:
> https://archive.org/details/inkscapepencilpressure

Wow this is wonderful! Thank you very much Jabier.

--
Raghavendra Kamath
Illustrator

Re: pressure sensitivity for Pencil tool using powerstroke?

Nate Yungkans
Looks awesome! Can't wait to try it. You did it so fast!

--
Nate

On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 6:26 PM, Jabier Arraiza <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> > > realtime
> > > preview, so you need to finish the path to see the variable
> > width.
> > >
> > > Maybe I can add a preview while drawing but this is more complex.
> > >
> > > Cheers, Jabier.
> > >
> > > How would it work?  Would it add pink nodes where the pressure is
> > > greater?  And
> > > then the artist drags them after the path is finished?  Or would
> > the
> > > variable
> > > width be immediately evident when the path is finished?
> > >
> > > And it would only work with graphics tablets?
> > >
> > > One benefit for such a tool (it seems to me) would be that the
> > number
> > > of nodes
> > > probably would not build up so fast, as it does with Calligraphy.
> > >
> > > Thanks, Jabier.  I'll try to get this guy to subscribe so he can

Hi Miguel:

¿Real join or as combined elements in one (not a group)?

I could do in the future once know it, for example pressing the Shift
key while drawing.

Cheers, Jabier.

On Mon, 2017-08-28 at 02:12 +0000, Miguel Lopez wrote:

> [...]
> > brush
> > size and shape. I've been utilizing mass, thinning and fixation to
> > accomplish this effect in Inkscape.
> >

> >  https://youtu.be/iIW_oeUcO2E?t=97
> > <https://youtu.be/iIW_oeUcO2E?t=97%C2%A0>
> >

> > I think that covers what I was originally asking about and more.
> > Hopefully it was not too much. Thanks so much for all the hard work
> > you have put into the program!  I know this software is a lot of
> > work
> > and new features are no small thing. I am not really a programmer
> > so
> > I can't contribute to the effort that way, but if you have a need
> > or
> > desire to include a UX/UI designer I would be happy to help!
> >
> > Manga line example that I did not draw:
> >

> > If you got through the whole email, thanks for listening!

Thanks!

On Sun, 2017-08-27 at 23:46 -0400, Nate Yungkans wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > That same tool in adobe also has settings to control/limit the
> > > brush
> > > size and shape. I've been utilizing mass, thinning and fixation
> > > accomplish this effect in Inkscape.
> > >

> > >  https://youtu.be/iIW_oeUcO2E?t=97
> > >

> > > I think that covers what I was originally asking about and more.
> > > Hopefully it was not too much. Thanks so much for all the hard
> > > work
> > > you have put into the program!  I know this software is a lot of
> > > work
> > > and new features are no small thing. I am not really a programmer
> > > so
> > > I can't contribute to the effort that way, but if you have a need
> > > or
> > > desire to include a UX/UI designer I would be happy to help!
> > >
> > > Manga line example that I did not draw:
> > >

> > > If you got through the whole email, thanks for listening!

Thanks for the feedback!

On Mon, 2017-08-28 at 08:39 +0530, Raghavendra Kamath wrote:

> On Monday 28 August 2017 3:56:16 AM IST Jabier Arraiza wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > This week I do a similar implementation and mark it for merge
> > request.
> > Here are a preview of the new branch running:
> > https://archive.org/details/inkscapepencilpressure
>
> Wow this is wonderful! Thank you very much Jabier.

Re: pressure sensitivity for Pencil tool using powerstroke?

Miguel Lopez
Why not both? Like if you were to make multiple strokes intersecting, it
will automatically join if you enable it. If you were to make one stroke
that intersect by itself, it will combine into 1 just like the spray
tool with the join. This probably a bit too much, but it will be great
if you can do this at some point. One step closer to going pro.

On 8/28/2017 3:51 AM, Jabier Arraiza wrote:

> [...]
>>> brush
>>> size and shape. I've been utilizing mass, thinning and fixation to
>>> accomplish this effect in Inkscape.
>>>

>>>   https://youtu.be/iIW_oeUcO2E?t=97
>>> <https://youtu.be/iIW_oeUcO2E?t=97%C2%A0>
>>>

>>> I think that covers what I was originally asking about and more.
>>> Hopefully it was not too much. Thanks so much for all the hard work
>>> you have put into the program!  I know this software is a lot of
>>> work
>>> and new features are no small thing. I am not really a programmer
>>> so
>>> I can't contribute to the effort that way, but if you have a need
>>> or
>>> desire to include a UX/UI designer I would be happy to help!
>>>
>>> Manga line example that I did not draw:
>>>

>>> If you got through the whole email, thanks for listening!

Hi Miguel, because the nature of powerstroke that make overlaps on
closed angled curves, combining this kind of paths dont result so
beatifull but confussing.

Because there is no control where the self-intersections hapends I
think is better simplify and do a union as bolean operation when SHIFT
is pressed.

Also I do another change to the code to add the freehand as a option
compatible also with bezier, bspline or spiro.

Sorry for the noise, Jabier.

On Mon, 2017-08-28 at 16:33 +0000, Miguel Lopez wrote:

> Why not both? Like if you were to make multiple strokes intersecting,
> it
> will automatically join if you enable it. If you were to make one
> stroke
> that intersect by itself, it will combine into 1 just like the spray
> tool with the join. This probably a bit too much, but it will be
> great
> if you can do this at some point. One step closer to going pro.
>

> On 8/28/2017 3:51 AM, Jabier Arraiza wrote:
> > Hi Miguel:
> >
> > ¿Real join or as combined elements in one (not a group)?
> >
> > I could do in the future once know it, for example pressing the
> > Shift
> > key while drawing.
> >
> > Cheers, Jabier.
> >

> > On Mon, 2017-08-28 at 02:12 +0000, Miguel Lopez wrote:
> > > I like the work that's being done, by the way, I have a
> > > suggestion.
> > > You know how you can spray objects and have the path joined
> > > together,
> > > right? I'd like to see the option to do that while stroking.
> > >
> > > On 8/27/2017 6:38 PM, Ivan Louette via Inkscape-devel wrote:
> > > Very convincing ! And there we have even more control than
> > > Expression
> > > for simple lines !
> > >
> > > ivan
> > >

> > > Le Lundi 28 août 2017 0h27, Jabier Arraiza <jabier.arraiza@marker
> > > .es>
> > > <mailto:[hidden email]> a écrit :
> > >

> > > Hi all!
> > >
> > > This week I do a similar implementation and mark it for merge
> > > request.
> > > Here are a preview of the new branch running:
> > > https://archive.org/details/inkscapepencilpressure
> > >
> > > All the best, Jabier.

Hi! I figure I'll just throw myself in here.

It sounds like you are requesting something like the Adobe illustrator blob brush. Essentially this tool is like Inkscape's calligraphy brush with an auto merge feature. Which could in fact be a handy feature. In illustrator you can paint with the brush and the new shapes merge it with a selection or a layer or maybe even all. The same effect can be achieved by using Inkscape's calligraphy brush and then merging the shapes. All the blob brush does is make that automatic.

The really cool thing you added to the pencil that would also be cool on the calligraphy tool is the Max/min size.

Illustrator Bob brush tool: https://youtu.be/4bhltsqSp_0

Am I correct in my interpretation of what you are asking for Miguel?

On 28 August 2017 at 12:33, Miguel Lopez <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Why not both? Like if you were to make multiple strokes intersecting, it
> will automatically join if you enable it. If you were to make one stroke
> that intersect by itself, it will combine into 1 just like the spray
> tool with the join. This probably a bit too much, but it will be great
> if you can do this at some point. One step closer to going pro.

I love this feature very much. But we should not use pro
(professional) as a term here, because Jabier is volunteering which is
is literally the opposite of professional. I know you mean that
inkscape is one step closer to being capable of being used by people
earning money from their art/design and we certainly want people to be
able to earn money from using (and developing) Free and Open source...
but maybe open source doesn't really fit the whole 'pro' advertising
meme. (also Inkscape is being used by professionals already, and lots
of different types which is why it's hard to nail down the
industry/user-base)

Inkscape Any - as in, Inkscape for Anyone. ;)

1234