repeated crashes on gradient mesh

Brynn
Hi Friends,
        I'm working on a fairly small, fairly simple file with a fairly simple
gradient mesh.  It's a somewhat high zoom, and maybe I should scale it so I can
work at 100%.  But I'm not sure if that should matter.  Anyway, it keeps
crashing (taking out all open Inkscape files with it) when I try to move one
particular node.  8 times in a row now.

        https://inkscapecommunity.com/jd/2nd-av-ani.svg

        I'm attempting to use the gradient mesh to ultimately make an animation
of a light passing through an endless knot (see it in the hidden first layer).
        On the canvas, I've indicated 2 places where I have 3 mesh nodes on top
of each other (to facilitate the light going around the corners with a trailing
glow).  It's the top node of the left-most stack of nodes.
        Steps to reproduce.  Try to drag the top node of the left-most stack of
nodes.  Since the 3 nodes are stacked up, I need to move the top 2 off of the
3rd, to be able to select it individually.  Whenever I try to drag the top one -
BAM!  Crash.
        There are no errors or message boxes.  Just bam.  (A backup was saved in
the first crash.)
        Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit, Inkscape 0.92.  If you want me to upgrade to
0.92.1, I can.  It's just I'm not aware the mesh was changed in the upgrade (so
it seems like it wouldn't matter).
        Any kind of logs or files I can get for you?  I don't know how to use
the command line or terminal.  But if you tell me what to do, I should be able
to do it.
        Would you like a bug report?

Thank you very much,

Re: repeated crashes on gradient mesh

Brynn
Update - trying to drag ANY mesh node causes the crash.

Re: repeated crashes on gradient mesh

Tavmjong Bah

Hi brynn,

I've created a very simple test file that demonstrates the crash. The
crash is triggered when there are two objects referencing the same mesh
(you have a copy of the path with the same mesh in a hidden layer). It
will take some time to properly debug this so a bug report would be
good.

Tav

On Mon, 2017-02-20 at 10:34 -0700, brynn wrote:

> Update - trying to drag ANY mesh node causes the crash.
>
> brynn

Oh yes, right.  I duplicated the object, and I was just going to tweak the
gradient to show the glow moving through.

Sure, I'll be glad to make the report.  But sad that I'll have to put off this
project for a while longer.  (Although....if I could tweak the gradient without
moving any nodes, just change colors.....I'll at least try it  :-) )

Do you want a report on LP?  Or else there's a wiki page about mesh bugs.