Quantcast

save as... jpg

bernardokp
Hello everyone,

I just downloaded the newest version of Inkscape 0.45.
I tried to save my work as a .jpg or jpeg and I noticed
that this option has disappeared form the "save as..."
window. I remember I was able to do that in older versions.
Can anyone tell me what's going on?

Thanks a lot,
Bernardo

Re: save as... jpg

Michael Beckwith
try using "export as bitmap"

--
~Michael
http://ridleytx.structed.net (for now)

Re: save as... jpg

Richard Querin

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 12:49 PM, Michael Beckwith <[hidden email]> wrote:
try using "export as bitmap"

bernardokp wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I just downloaded the newest version of Inkscape 0.45.
> I tried to save my work as a .jpg or jpeg and I noticed
> that this option has disappeared form the "save as..."
> window. I remember I was able to do that in older versions.
> Can anyone tell me what's going on?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Bernardo

Be aware that Inkscape will only export .PNG files when using Export As Bitmap. You can then convert them to jpeg format using just about any bitmap image editor like the GIMP, Paintshop Pro, Photoshop etc.

Just giving them a .jpg file extension will not create a valid jpeg file. The benefit of going with PNG is that PNG files support transparency, jpegs do not.

RQ

Re: save as... jpg

zbharucha
Using the "convert" utility,
convert picture.png picture.jpg

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 6:14 PM, Richard Querin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 12:49 PM, Michael Beckwith
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > try using "export as bitmap"
> >

> > bernardokp wrote:
> > > Hello everyone,
> > >
> > > I just downloaded the newest version of Inkscape 0.45.
> > > I tried to save my work as a .jpg or jpeg and I noticed
> > > that this option has disappeared form the "save as..."
> > > window. I remember I was able to do that in older versions.
> > > Can anyone tell me what's going on?
> > >
> > > Thanks a lot,
> > > Bernardo
> > >

> Be aware that Inkscape will only export .PNG files when using Export As
> Bitmap. You can then convert them to jpeg format using just about any bitmap
> image editor like the GIMP, Paintshop Pro, Photoshop etc.
>
> Just giving them a .jpg file extension will not create a valid jpeg file.
> The benefit of going with PNG is that PNG files support transparency, jpegs
> do not.
>
> RQ

Re: save as... jpg

Richard Querin
On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 1:56 PM, Zubin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Using the "convert" utility,
convert picture.png picture.jpg

That is part of ImageMagick (http://www.imagemagick.org) I believe. It's freely available and cross platform, but you do need to make sure you have it installed on your system before you can use that.

RQ

Re: save as... jpg

bernardokp
Thank you very very very much for the clear and quick answers!

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 4:03 PM, Richard Querin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 1:56 PM, Zubin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Using the "convert" utility,
> > convert picture.png picture.jpg
> >

> That is part of ImageMagick (http://www.imagemagick.org) I believe. It's
> freely available and cross platform, but you do need to make sure you have
> it installed on your system before you can use that.
>

> RQ

Bernardo Kulnig Pagnoncelli
PhD student
Dep. of Mathematics, Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro (PUC-Rio)
Rua Marquês de São Vicente 225 Gávea Rio de Janeiro RJ Brazil CEP: 22453-900
Tel:             55  21  3527 - 1744
Fax:            55  21  3527 - 1282
e-mail: [hidden email] [hidden email]