should this remain in the gallery?

Brynn
Hi Friends,
        There's a recent new upload to the gallery, which appears to be
instructions for using a website which helps people create their own logos, for
a price.  I can't see that it has anything to do with Inkscape (except in its
PDF, it recommends using Inkscape to edit the logos).

        They could be considering the phrase in the CoC "made to be used with
Inkscape" wrongly.  But I'm not sure. (copying to the devel list, re CoC)

        I'm just looking for some other opinions about this, whether it should
remain in the gallery at all, or remain under a different category.  Personally,
I think it's spam.  But since I tend to be rather ruthless about spam, I thought
I should ask for other opinions.

        Does anyone see any relationship to Inkscape here?

Re: should this remain in the gallery?

C R
My thought - If it mentions Inkscape, it's free advertising for the project.
If it's spam, at least it's relevant spam. :D

I vote to leave it up. imho we don't need to be ruthless unless
there's some problem with too much of it. - It will make the project
seem unfriendly to anything outside its own interests, and hostile to
working with designers/developers who offer free editing with Inkscape
as a benefit (I do this a lot with my own design work).

They no-doubt post that pdf elsewhere with Inkscape compatibility
listed as a benefit. I believe that's exactly the kind of thing we
want.

My 2p
-C

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 5:17 AM, brynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Friends,
>        There's a recent new upload to the gallery, which appears to be
> instructions for using a website which helps people create their own logos,
> for a price.  I can't see that it has anything to do with Inkscape (except
> in its PDF, it recommends using Inkscape to edit the logos).
>
>        They could be considering the phrase in the CoC "made to be used with
> Inkscape" wrongly.  But I'm not sure. (copying to the devel list, re CoC)
>
>        I'm just looking for some other opinions about this, whether it
> should remain in the gallery at all, or remain under a different category.
> Personally, I think it's spam.  But since I tend to be rather ruthless about
> spam, I thought I should ask for other opinions.
>
>        Does anyone see any relationship to Inkscape here?
>
> Thanks,
> brynn

Re: should this remain in the gallery?

C R
tldr: We want Inkscape to be synonymous (or ubiquitous) with free
vector editing. We need more of this "spam". :D

-C

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 9:41 AM, C R <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My thought - If it mentions Inkscape, it's free advertising for the project.
> If it's spam, at least it's relevant spam. :D
>
> I vote to leave it up. imho we don't need to be ruthless unless
> there's some problem with too much of it. - It will make the project
> seem unfriendly to anything outside its own interests, and hostile to
> working with designers/developers who offer free editing with Inkscape
> as a benefit (I do this a lot with my own design work).
>
> They no-doubt post that pdf elsewhere with Inkscape compatibility
> listed as a benefit. I believe that's exactly the kind of thing we
> want.
>
> My 2p
> -C
>

> On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 5:17 AM, brynn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Friends,
>>        There's a recent new upload to the gallery, which appears to be
>> instructions for using a website which helps people create their own logos,
>> for a price.  I can't see that it has anything to do with Inkscape (except
>> in its PDF, it recommends using Inkscape to edit the logos).
>>
>>        They could be considering the phrase in the CoC "made to be used with
>> Inkscape" wrongly.  But I'm not sure. (copying to the devel list, re CoC)
>>
>>        I'm just looking for some other opinions about this, whether it
>> should remain in the gallery at all, or remain under a different category.
>> Personally, I think it's spam.  But since I tend to be rather ruthless about
>> spam, I thought I should ask for other opinions.
>>
>>        Does anyone see any relationship to Inkscape here?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> brynn

Re: should this remain in the gallery?

Thanks C R!