side-by-side install

Aaron and Sarah Spike
Before I learned how to compile CVS, my major concern was "How can I
keep the stable version and CVS installed at the same time on linux."
This was, of course, no trouble because the stable version was installed
to /usr/bin/ and the CVS version was installed to /usr/local/bin/. The
reason I had worried was the autopackage nightly builds. When I
installed an autopackage it installed in the place of the stable version.

Having both versions has been a good experience. It is a safety net. If
a old feature breaks in CVS it is likely I can still use that feature in
the stable version. Best of all I can do this without having to revert
to an earlier version by uninstalling and reinstalling.

As long as I was pestering Mike Hearn with my naive questions about
building the autopackage, I decided to ask him if there was a way the
packaging system could handle the issue and give users the ability to
keep side-by-side installs. Mike suggested that the best solution might
be to build a different executable for CVS i.e. inkscape-cvs instead of
inkscape. This sounds reasonable to me. For instance, the sylpheed mail
client has a sister project that builds the experimental sylpheed-claws
version.

The usability of CVS is definately one of Inkscape's strengths. I think
the smaller the barrier between new users and CVS the better.

Comments?

Aaron Spike

Re: side-by-side install

Bob Jamison-2
Aaron and Sarah Spike wrote:

> Before I learned how to compile CVS, my major concern was "How can I
> keep the stable version and CVS installed at the same time on linux."
> This was, of course, no trouble because the stable version was
> installed to /usr/bin/ and the CVS version was installed to
> /usr/local/bin/. The reason I had worried was the autopackage nightly
> builds. When I installed an autopackage it installed in the place of
> the stable version.
>
> Having both versions has been a good experience. It is a safety net.
> If a old feature breaks in CVS it is likely I can still use that
> feature in the stable version. Best of all I can do this without
> having to revert to an earlier version by uninstalling and reinstalling.

I go one step farther,  and put Inkscape in its own installation
directory, with
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/inkscape ...blah....

This gives it its own directory, leaving everything else in /usr and
/usr/local alone.  And deleting
it later is trivial.

Bob

Re: side-by-side install

Daniel Díaz-2
Hello.

On 6/10/05, Bob Jamison <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Aaron and Sarah Spike wrote:
> > Having both versions has been a good experience. It is a safety net.
> > If a old feature breaks in CVS it is likely I can still use that
> > feature in the stable version. Best of all I can do this without
> > having to revert to an earlier version by uninstalling and reinstalling.
> I go one step farther,  and put Inkscape in its own installation
> directory, with
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/inkscape ...blah....
[...]

I used to have different Inkscape versions as in:
/opt/inkscape-0.38
/opt/inkscape-0.39cvs
/opt/inkscape-etc
with a link to my current Inkscape like:
/opt/inkscape -> /opt/inkscape-0.39cvs

With /opt/inkscape in my $PATH, it was easy to change to whatever
version I needed to test.

Greetings!

Daniel Díaz