snap?

ToddAndMargo
Hi All,

How do I turn off Snap to Grid when I am moving
pictures around?

Many thanks,
-T

Re: snap?

Andrew Kurn
At the top of the right tool-bar is the master snap control,
a dot, an arrow, and a dot, all on a diagonal, upper left
to lower right. Got it?

If you click that, it will turn on/off all snapping.

Andrew

On Wed  8 Aug 2018 20:09 -0700, ToddAndMargo wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> How do I turn off Snap to Grid when I am moving
> pictures around?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Re: snap?

Brynn
Or, you can hold down the Shift key /after you start to drag/ and it disables
snapping without globally turning it off.  It just depends on what you're doing,
and whether you want or need to re-enable the global snapping later.

In some cases you can hold the Shift key before you start to drag, but the Shift
key has so many uses, often holding it down before you start to drag will cause
something else to happen.  So I always wait until after I start to drag.

At the top of the right tool-bar is the master snap control,
a dot, an arrow, and a dot, all on a diagonal, upper left
to lower right. Got it?

If you click that, it will turn on/off all snapping.

Andrew

On Wed  8 Aug 2018 20:09 -0700, ToddAndMargo wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> How do I turn off Snap to Grid when I am moving
> pictures around?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Re: snap?

Mark Crutch-2
There's also the "%" keyboard shortcut to toggle snapping on and off - though personally I think it's a poor choice of shortcut, as it requires you to hold Shift and stretch your hand across the keyboard on most layouts. In recent versions of Inkscape, however, it's easy to change via Edit ‣ Preferences ‣ Interface ‣ Keyboard Shortcuts, then View ‣ Snap.

Mark

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 6:43 AM, brynn <[hidden email]> wrote:
Or, you can hold down the Shift key /after you start to drag/ and it disables snapping without globally turning it off.  It just depends on what you're doing, and whether you want or need to re-enable the global snapping later.

In some cases you can hold the Shift key before you start to drag, but the Shift key has so many uses, often holding it down before you start to drag will cause something else to happen.  So I always wait until after I start to drag.

brynn

-----Original Message----- From: Andrew Kurn

Re: snap?

Steve Litt
On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 20:50:57 -0700
Andrew Kurn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At the top of the right tool-bar is the master snap control,
> a dot, an arrow, and a dot, all on a diagonal, upper left
> to lower right. Got it?
>
> If you click that, it will turn on/off all snapping.
>
> Andrew

Confirmed!

VERY nice. I've been needing this functionality for years, as I usually
don't want snap. Now I'm a click away from either state.

Thanks so much!

SteveT

Re: snap?

ToddAndMargo

On 08/08/2018 08:09 PM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> How do I turn off Snap to Grid when I am moving
> pictures around?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Thank you all!  I will try the drag and shift and
see if I like that best first.

-T