texture extension

Andrew Kurn
This is to announce a new extension.  It generates random
blobs in a rectangle for use in a texture.

There are controls for the roundness, sharpness, branchiness,
number of blobs, and size.

Hope you like it.

If you can think of more controls to add, drop me a line.

Andrew

Re: texture extension

C R
Link?

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 6:54 AM, Andrew Kurn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is to announce a new extension.  It generates random
> blobs in a rectangle for use in a texture.
>
> There are controls for the roundness, sharpness, branchiness,
> number of blobs, and size.
>
> Hope you like it.
>
> If you can think of more controls to add, drop me a line.
>
> Andrew

Re: texture extension

Andrew Kurn
Sorry.  Here it is:
https://inkscape.org/en/~kurn/%E2%98%85blobs

found via:
https://inkscape.org/en/gallery/=extension/?order=-edited

Good?

Andrew

On Fri 27 Jul 2018 20:50 +0100, C R wrote:

> Link?
>
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 6:54 AM, Andrew Kurn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > This is to announce a new extension.  It generates random
> > blobs in a rectangle for use in a texture.
> >
> > There are controls for the roundness, sharpness, branchiness,
> > number of blobs, and size.
> >
> > Hope you like it.
> >
> > If you can think of more controls to add, drop me a line.
> >
> > Andrew

Re: texture extension

C R
Yes. See here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gpxcn1gwrbejh36/thanks_andrew.png?dl=1

After having used it, here are some things I'd tweak a bit:

1. In your help file, it would be helpful to indicate where the
extension shows up. In this case, Extensions > Examples > Blobs
texture
2. I'd actually add it to the "Render" submenu instead, since that's
what it's doing- rendering blobs. :)
3. Increase "How many blobs?" Max to 2k instead of 256, and change
wording to "Number of blobs"
4. Combine all the blobs into one path instead of individual objects
(this will significantly speed up moving the results around, and
prevent having to pick blobs individually out of stuff. :)
5. Keep in mind the default size of the Inkscape canvas is A4 in mm
units. I recommend these defaults: # of blobs: 256, work area 200x200,
size of blob 0.3

I'd also like to say that I really like this extension and can see
myself using it to create a worn text look and grit in future
projects. Thanks for the work!

-C

On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 2:37 PM, Andrew Kurn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry.  Here it is:
> https://inkscape.org/en/~kurn/%E2%98%85blobs
>
> found via:
> https://inkscape.org/en/gallery/=extension/?order=-edited
>

> Good?
>
> Andrew
>

> On Fri 27 Jul 2018 20:50 +0100, C R wrote:
>>
>> Link?
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 6:54 AM, Andrew Kurn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > This is to announce a new extension.  It generates random
>> > blobs in a rectangle for use in a texture.
>> >
>> > There are controls for the roundness, sharpness, branchiness,
>> > number of blobs, and size.
>> >
>> > Hope you like it.
>> >
>> > If you can think of more controls to add, drop me a line.
>> >
>> > Andrew

Re: texture extension

Andrew Kurn
Below:

On Sat 28 Jul 2018 18:35 +0100, C R wrote:

> Yes. See here:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/gpxcn1gwrbejh36/thanks_andrew.png?dl=1

This is the best "thank you" I've ever had.  I'm tickled pink!

> After having used it, here are some things I'd tweak a bit:
>
> 1. In your help file, it would be helpful to indicate where the
> extension shows up. In this case, Extensions > Examples > Blobs
> texture

Agree.  By "help file" you mean the stuff that you see on the web page
for /blobs/, below the picture?  Or blobs.txt?

> 2. I'd actually add it to the "Render" submenu instead, since that's
> what it's doing- rendering blobs. :)

Well . . . The problem is that /render/ already has a meaning in
computer graphics (transform from vector to raster).  It bugs me
to see it misused.

Looking at the existing categories, none seems right.  I could create
a new one . . . either very broad (Draw), or medium (Create or Create Objects
or New Objects), or narrow (Texture)

Does any of those appeal to you?

> 3. Increase "How many blobs?" Max to 2k instead of 256, and change
> wording to "Number of blobs"

OK, can do.

> 4. Combine all the blobs into one path instead of individual objects
> (this will significantly speed up moving the results around, and
> prevent having to pick blobs individually out of stuff. :)

This one seems funny to me.  You can merge them yourself
(Path -> Combine or maybe Objects -> Group)

And, I didn't understand the last bit.  What were you doing that you
had to pick them out of other stuff (that being part of a single path
would fix)?

> 5. Keep in mind the default size of the Inkscape canvas is A4 in mm
> units. I recommend these defaults: # of blobs: 256, work area 200x200,
> size of blob 0.3

Well . . . This assumes that everyone wants many small blobs.  I didn't
when I wrote it. I wanted a few big blobs.

In fact, if its primary use is for grit, I'd write another extension,
not paying so much attention to individual blobs, but concentrating
on how they're scattered across the page (even spacing? no collisions?
varying size?)

> I'd also like to say that I really like this extension and can see
> myself using it to create a worn text look and grit in future
> projects. Thanks for the work!
>
> -C

You're very welcome.  Could you send me an SVG version of thanks_andrew?
Maybe I'll make a poster out of it!

Andrew

> On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 2:37 PM, Andrew Kurn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Sorry.  Here it is:
> > https://inkscape.org/en/~kurn/%E2%98%85blobs
> >
> > found via:
> > https://inkscape.org/en/gallery/=extension/?order=-edited
> >

> > Good?
> >
> > Andrew
> >

> > On Fri 27 Jul 2018 20:50 +0100, C R wrote:
> >>
> >> Link?

Re: texture extension

C R
Hi, sorry for the late reply (been working on Inkscape, hackfest, and
other priority items).

I wanted to sit down and have a look at all your replies, because
you've taken the time to reply, and I appreciate that. :)

> This is the best "thank you" I've ever had.  I'm tickled pink!

Glad you like it! Thanks again for your work!

>> 1. In your help file, it would be helpful to indicate where the
>> extension shows up. In this case, Extensions > Examples > Blobs
>> texture

> Agree.  By "help file" you mean the stuff that you see on the web page
> for /blobs/, below the picture?  Or blobs.txt?

I'd include it in both so it's easy to find no matter how you get the
extension. If it saves time, I'd always do it in as many places as it
makes sense. :)

>> 2. I'd actually add it to the "Render" submenu instead, since that's
>> what it's doing- rendering blobs. :)

> Well . . . The problem is that /render/ already has a meaning in
> computer graphics (transform from vector to raster).  It bugs me
> to see it misused.

Well, I've heard at least 10 different uses of that word in computer
science and in the "graphics industry" in which I work, and everyone
seems to insist their definition is "the industry/graphics term for
X".
When I looked, I saw that no one agrees on it, and thus it's used for
all sorts of different things.

This is the definition I go by, which is also the definition in the dictionary:

Render (v) - cause to be or become; make.
In Inkscape's context, the idea is to produce vector artwork, so
Render in this case seems appropriate from a purely contextual...
uh... context. :)

What isn't debated is the term "Raster", which does actually mean
bitmap no matter who you ask. So that's a good name for things that
produce raster output, and indeed, that's the submenu in Inkscape
where you find those bitmap-centric items. I think you'll find that
all the neat vector extensions are in the Render submenu, which is why
I suggest putting it there- it does actually fit in with the rest, and
it's likely that if we were to include your extensions in Inkscape
(the ones that ship with Inkscape), which is my hope, they would
probably wind up there anyway. :)

> Looking at the existing categories, none seems right.  I could create
> a new one . . . either very broad (Draw), or medium (Create or Create Objects
> or New Objects), or narrow (Texture)

I like to discourage making a new category, because some of us use
quite a lot of extensions, and it starts to push the extension list
off the page after a while.
However, if you intend on making a lot of extensions based around the
idea of blobs, or lots of objects, then I'd go with "Generate". In
fact, Generate might work better than "Render" since it's a loaded
word for a lot of designers across different programs.

>> 3. Increase "How many blobs?" Max to 2k instead of 256, and change
>> wording to "Number of blobs"
>
> OK, can do.

Thanks!

>> 4. Combine all the blobs into one path instead of individual objects
>> (this will significantly speed up moving the results around, and
>> prevent having to pick blobs individually out of stuff. :)

> This one seems funny to me.  You can merge them yourself
> (Path -> Combine or maybe Objects -> Group)

Problem is, when the blobs are generated, they are not highlighted, so
unless you've made a new layer, or are already inside a group, they
are just floating around everywhere over the objects already in your
scene. The more objects there are (even 256) the slower it is for
Inkscape to move them around. Making them highlighted, slows Inkscape
down even more because it has to draw bounding boxes around each and
every one of them. Maybe try generating them in a group, and see how
that works? The slowness is a problem, even on decent hardware. But
don't take my word for it, check it out for yourself. :)

>> 5. Keep in mind the default size of the Inkscape canvas is A4 in mm
>> units. I recommend these defaults: # of blobs: 256, work area 200x200,
>> size of blob 0.3

> Well . . . This assumes that everyone wants many small blobs.  I didn't
> when I wrote it. I wanted a few big blobs.

Ah, okay, leave them as big blobs then. :)

> In fact, if its primary use is for grit, I'd write another extension,
> not paying so much attention to individual blobs, but concentrating
> on how they're scattered across the page (even spacing? no collisions?
> varying size?)

Yes please! I'd love that. Maybe you could add a drop-down for blobs
with various default options for grit, blobs, etc. A separate
extension also works for me if you want to make them different
controls entirely.

>> I'd also like to say that I really like this extension and can see
>> myself using it to create a worn text look and grit in future
>> projects. Thanks for the work!

> You're very welcome.  Could you send me an SVG version of thanks_andrew?
> Maybe I'll make a poster out of it!

Sure, but I can do you one better - If you want to make that grunge
extension for me, I'll do two things for you in return:

I'll print that "Thanks Andrew!" poster you want (just let me know
what size) and I'll bring it to the Keil hackfest with me, and ask the
Inkscape developers to sign it.
Also, if the grunge extension is good, I'll push to get it included in
the default Inkscape extensions that will ship with version 1.0

Sound good?

Regardless, here's the svg if you just want to print it yourself:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hdj34bcxw195bqr/thanks_andrew.svg?dl=1

I've resized it to fit an A3 mini poster sized print, but can go as
large as A2 if you want me to have it printed for you as a bribe. :)

Thanks again for your work!

-C.Rogers