unable to open older version

Brynn
Hi Friends,
        I've just downloaded a fresh copy of version 0.48.5, the 7z package.
But when I try to open inkscape.exe file, I get an error.  This is on Windows 7
Pro, 64-bit, but approx 1 year old laptop.

Application was unable to start correctly 0xc0000005.  (only available button is
OK, or X to close)

        I have done some searching on the error, and tried some of the
troubleshooting steps - at least the ones I understand.  No success yet.

        Of course it's not vital that I get this version open, but I do
occasionally need older versions to help users with problems.  As far as I can
recall, I have had this version open a few months ago - maybe 4 to 6 months ago.
I have no idea what might have changed.  But since that's the format for Windows
errors, I'm thinking it's a problem with Windows.

        Does anyone have any experience with this, or have any idea how to fix?

Thanks for any comments,

Re: unable to open older version

alvinpenner
Hi,
    I just installed a 7z version of 0.48.5 onto Windows 10 amd it appears
to be working properly. Here are the details:
website :
https://inkscape.org/en/release/0.48.5/windows/32-bit/binary-7z/dl/

version : Inkscape 0.48.5 r10040 (Jun 21 2014)

executable file : 06/22/2014  07:59 AM        13,391,360 inkscape.exe

install file : 05/16/2018  11:27 AM        33,769,219
inkscape-0.48.5-1-win32.7z

Cheers,
Alvin

--
Sent from: http://inkscape.13.x6.nabble.com/Inkscape-User-f2857977.html

Re: unable to open older version

Brynn
Thanks Alvin,
        I did not think there was anything wrong with that version of the
program.  I just thought someone else might have seen that error before, and
have some idea how to fix.  As I said, I'm sure it's something about Windows.  I
just don't know what.

        Anyway, I'm still investigating.  I'll post again if I find something
helpful.

Re: unable to open older version

Donn Ingle
Just a thought. Run it from the command line (in Windows). It may spew something helpful.

/d

-----Original Message----- From: alvinpenner

Re: unable to open older version

Brynn
Can you (or someone) tell me how to do that?  I don't know how.

Re: unable to open older version

Maren Hachmann
Eduard has written an FAQ item for it, can you try that?

https://inkscape.org/en/learn/faq/?edit#inkscape-does-not-start

 Maren

Am 19.05.2018 um 23:33 schrieb brynn:

> Can you (or someone) tell me how to do that?  I don't know how.

"If Inkscape still does not start, open a command prompt (cmd.exe) and navigate
to the folder containing the Inkscape executables. Then run the command
"inkscape.com" and check if any warnings/errors are printed to the console."

I think I have the comman prompt open.  It's a text window, with black
background and white text, right?

But I don't know how to navigate with it.  In the past, I've been instructed
what to type in it.  But I've never used it for navigation.

Oh....  Ok, so the last line in it is

C:\Users\brynn>_

Do I just type the path to where inkscape.exe is, where I "installed" the 7z
package?  Because it's not in Users, it's in Program Files.  Do I just press
Return (Enter key), to go to a new line, and type the Program Files path?

Or maybe Backspace back to C:\, and then type the rest of the Program Files
path?

After I find the right place, I don't know how to run a command.

Eduard has written an FAQ item for it, can you try that?

https://inkscape.org/en/learn/faq/?edit#inkscape-does-not-start

Maren

Am 19.05.2018 um 23:33 schrieb brynn:

> Can you (or someone) tell me how to do that?  I don't know how.

Type
cd C:\Path\to\directory\where\inkscape.com\is\in

Hit Enter.
This should bring you into the correct directory (hopefully, as you know
I'm not on Windows, it must be ~16 years ago that I last used this command).

cd is short for 'change directory'. Accidentally, it's the same command
on Linux, so you've learnt something you can still use later on ;-)

Maren

Am 21.05.2018 um 00:00 schrieb brynn:

> "If Inkscape still does not start, open a command prompt (cmd.exe) and
> navigate to the folder containing the Inkscape executables. Then run the
> command "inkscape.com" and check if any warnings/errors are printed to
> the console."
>
> I think I have the comman prompt open.  It's a text window, with black
> background and white text, right?
>
> But I don't know how to navigate with it.  In the past, I've been
> instructed what to type in it.  But I've never used it for navigation.
>
> Oh....  Ok, so the last line in it is
>
> C:\Users\brynn>_
>
> Do I just type the path to where inkscape.exe is, where I "installed"
> the 7z package?  Because it's not in Users, it's in Program Files.  Do I
> just press Return (Enter key), to go to a new line, and type the Program
> Files path?
>
> Or maybe Backspace back to C:\, and then type the rest of the Program
> Files path?
>
> After I find the right place, I don't know how to run a command.
>
> Thanks,
> brynn
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Maren Hachmann
> Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2018 7:51 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Inkscape-user] unable to open older version
>
> Eduard has written an FAQ item for it, can you try that?
>
> https://inkscape.org/en/learn/faq/?edit#inkscape-does-not-start
>
> Maren
>
> Am 19.05.2018 um 23:33 schrieb brynn:
>> Can you (or someone) tell me how to do that?  I don't know how.

here is the sequence of commands I used in Windows 10 to get the Inkscape
version number, assuming that I start at the location you are at:

C:\Users\brynn>cd\

C:\>cd program files (x86)

C:\Program Files (x86)>cd inkscape

C:\Program Files (x86)\Inkscape>inkscape -V
Inkscape 0.92.3 (2405546, 2018-03-11)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Inkscape>inkscape

C:\Program Files (x86)\Inkscape>

after each command you will see the prompt change to tell you what directory
you are currently in. If the prompt does not change then the command has
failed. I prefer to break the thing up into multiple steps so that you can
see that each step has succeeded before attempting the next step. Your final
directory may change depending on which version you installed. You will need
to confirm the exact location of the Inkscape file by using Windows explorer
to find Inkscape.exe

--
Sent from: http://inkscape.13.x6.nabble.com/Inkscape-User-f2857977.html