Quantcast

vector printing win32

12

vector printing win32

Solor Vox
Hello,

I've been trying to solve a 2+ year issue with inkscape and my printing
device (laser cutter) not accepting paths as vectors.  All I can seem to
get out of inkscape is rastered images.  Yes, exporting to PDF works, but
it's not a fix and not a great solution either.

As such, I've been digging in the code to inkscape versions 0.46 to 0.48.2
on a win32 platform.

Why was a call to cairo PS level 3 commented out on line 101?  And can you
tell me if the call to renderItem() is sending bitmap or vector data to
the surface?  Where in the code chain might the vector paths be rastered?

Cheers,
sV

Re: vector printing win32

su_v
On 07/05/2012 07:20, Solor Vox wrote:

> I've been trying to solve a 2+ year issue with inkscape and my printing
> device (laser cutter) not accepting paths as vectors.  All I can seem to
> get out of inkscape is rastered images.  Yes, exporting to PDF works, but
> it's not a fix and not a great solution either.
>
> As such, I've been digging in the code to inkscape versions 0.46 to 0.48.2
> on a win32 platform.
>
> Why was a call to cairo PS level 3 commented out on line 101?  And can you
> tell me if the call to renderItem() is sending bitmap or vector data to
> the surface?  Where in the code chain might the vector paths be rastered?

Related report in the bug tracker (with sample files):
  Bug #630639 "printing rasterizes images"
  <https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/630639>

~suv

Re: vector printing win32

Jasper van de Gronde
On 07-05-12 07:20, Solor Vox wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been trying to solve a 2+ year issue with inkscape and my printing
> device (laser cutter) not accepting paths as vectors.  All I can seem to
> get out of inkscape is rastered images.  Yes, exporting to PDF works, but
> it's not a fix and not a great solution either.
>
> As such, I've been digging in the code to inkscape versions 0.46 to 0.48.2
> on a win32 platform.
>
> Why was a call to cairo PS level 3 commented out on line 101?  And can you
> tell me if the call to renderItem() is sending bitmap or vector data to
> the surface?  Where in the code chain might the vector paths be rastered?

My guess is that there were so many issues with trying to print vector
images that someone just figured it would be easier to print a bitmap.
Inkscape's rasterization is in general done in the src\display directory.

For more detailed info on the specific things you mentioned, it would be
great if you could tell us what file you're looking at.

Show revisions affecting specific file?

mathog
Is there some way in launchpad to get a list of revisions that changed
a specific file?

For instance, I'm looking a little deeper at this bug:

   https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/987962

and have just discovered that when it crashes, it always does so in

   SPDesktop::set_display_area  (part of desktop.cpp)

when it is called with: x0,y0,x1,y1,border =
-146.429,154.286,896.429,885.714,0

The negative x0 seems to make Cairo unhappy, sometimes enough to crash
the program.  The natural next step
would be to look at the revisions for desktop.cpp to see if one of
these corresponds to the start
of revisions that cause problems.  But I do not see a way to do that,
short of trudging through all
of the revisions and checking the files in each.  Is there an easier
way?

Thank you,

David Mathog

Re: Show revisions affecting specific file?

Alex Valavanis-3
You can use "bzr log <filename>" to find the commits that touched a
particular file, so...

bzr log src/desktop.cpp

If you want to use the web interface, just navigate to the file in
question[1] and then click "view changes to this file" at the top of
the page.

[1] http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~inkscape.dev/inkscape/trunk/view/head:/src/desktop.cpp

On 9 May 2012 22:38, mathog <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there some way in launchpad to get a list of revisions that changed
> a specific file?
>
> For instance, I'm looking a little deeper at this bug:
>
>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/987962
>
> and have just discovered that when it crashes, it always does so in
>
>   SPDesktop::set_display_area  (part of desktop.cpp)
>
> when it is called with: x0,y0,x1,y1,border =
> -146.429,154.286,896.429,885.714,0
>
> The negative x0 seems to make Cairo unhappy, sometimes enough to crash
> the program.  The natural next step
> would be to look at the revisions for desktop.cpp to see if one of
> these corresponds to the start
> of revisions that cause problems.  But I do not see a way to do that,
> short of trudging through all
> of the revisions and checking the files in each.  Is there an easier
> way?
>
> Thank you,
>
> David Mathog

Re: Show revisions affecting specific file?

veronika
I use the "bazaar log" command to see the history of a file:

http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/development/en/user-reference/log-help.html

(Actually I use the bazaar plugin for eclipse which uses the bazaar log
command and shows me the results in a nice table and then allows me to
compare revisions to each other or to the current file in my workspace).

I also find the "bazaar annotate" command quite useful for seeing when a
line in the current version of a file was last modified:

http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/development/en/user-reference/annotate-help.html

Cheers,
Veronika

Re: btool -j switch?

Jasper van de Gronde
On 2012-05-10 23:21, mathog wrote:
>     g++ buildtool.cpp -o btool -fopenmp
>
>     btool -j 2
>
> Is there some other trick that is needed for a threaded compile?
The above seems to work for me. But be aware that only the compilation
step is done in parallel (as far as I can tell). So linking for example
is not done in parallel.

(BTW, you mentioned using MingW, I'm assuming you're using a recent
version of TDM's gcc.)

Re: Windows binary with much improved EMF import/export and some other patches

Jasper van de Gronde
On 2012-05-11 00:11, mathog wrote:
> Since my EMF related (and other) patches aren't making it into trunk
> very quickly I have put together
EMF patches? Is there any reason for them not to be applied to trunk? If
not, feel free to point us in the right direction. (If you brought them
under our attention earlier and we missed it, sorry.)

On 11-May-2012 03:08, Jasper van de Gronde wrote:
> On 2012-05-11 00:11, mathog wrote:
>> Since my EMF related (and other) patches aren't making it into trunk
>> very quickly I have put together
> EMF patches? Is there any reason for them not to be applied to trunk?
> If
> not, feel free to point us in the right direction. (If you brought
> them
> under our attention earlier and we missed it, sorry.)

They have not been tested on other platforms.

Not that most of them are actually built there, since the EMF stuff
seems to be specific to the Windows version.  It probably shouldn't be
though, as the Mac versions of PowerPoint (PowerPoint is the ultimate
target of the inkscape graphics,
and many of the end users have Macs) does have an "insert picture from
file" that will accept an EMF file.
Also there is a project libemf  which could be linked in on Macs or
Linux to support EMF.  I have never
used it, but it looks pretty complete and it uses the same names as the
native Windows functions:

   http://libemf.sourceforge.net/

Regards,

David Mathog

Re: btool -j switch?

mathog
On 11-May-2012 03:06, Jasper van de Gronde wrote:

> (BTW, you mentioned using MingW, I'm assuming you're using a recent
> version of TDM's gcc.)

The last one was downloaded from sourceforge rather than TDM

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/

but seems to work as well as the last one I tried from TDM (which was
downloaded about a year ago.

gcc --version
gcc.exe (GCC) 4.6.2
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is
NO
PURPOSE.

Regards,

David Mathog

Re: btool -j switch?

Jasper van de Gronde
On 11-05-12 17:59, mathog wrote:

> On 11-May-2012 03:06, Jasper van de Gronde wrote:
>

>> (BTW, you mentioned using MingW, I'm assuming you're using a recent
>> version of TDM's gcc.)
>
> The last one was downloaded from sourceforge rather than TDM
>
>     http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/
>
> but seems to work as well as the last one I tried from TDM (which was
> downloaded about a year ago.

Interesting. So you tried both, and in both cases you are unable to get
buildtool to compile multiple files in parallel?

Re: Windows binary with much improved EMF import/export and some other patches

Jasper van de Gronde
Do you have access to trunk? (I don't think not being tested on other
platforms should necessarily be a blocker.)

On 14/05/2012 11:17, Jasper van de Gronde wrote:

> On 11-05-12 17:53, mathog wrote:

>>> EMF patches? Is there any reason for them not to be applied to trunk?
>>>
>>> If not, feel free to point us in the right direction. (If you
>>> brought them under our attention earlier and we missed it,
>>> sorry.)
>>
>> They have not been tested on other platforms.
>
> Do you have access to trunk? (I don't think not being tested on other
> platforms should necessarily be a blocker.)

If the proposed patch breaks building on other platforms (it does), it
should not be applied as is.

Please read more details (and open questions) in the bug report David
referred to in his earlier message:

- Bug #988601 "omnibus EMF issue patch"
  <https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/988601>

On 14-05-12 11:32, ~suv wrote:
> Please read more details (and open questions) in the bug report David
> referred to in his earlier message:
>
> - Bug #988601 "omnibus EMF issue patch"
>   <https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/988601>

Thanks! Had missed that, sure clears up a few things. (Taking the
discussion to that thread.)

On 14-May-2012 02:17, Jasper van de Gronde wrote:
> Do you have access to trunk? (I don't think not being tested on other
> platforms should necessarily be a blocker.)

One big problem is that the EOL sequence in mingw is "\r\n", so it is
painfully easy to convert
files from "\n" to "\r\n" EOLs just by changing a character and then
saving them.
The extra carriage return can be a problem on linux/unix systems.

David Mathog

Re: btool -j switch?

mathog
On 14-May-2012 00:33, Jasper van de Gronde wrote:

> Interesting. So you tried both, and in both cases you are unable to
> get
> buildtool to compile multiple files in parallel?

No, I only tried the parallel on the most recent one (straight from
sourceforge).
Btool seems to think it is doing the right thing:

btool -j 2

##### Target : compile
##### compile the source to .o
--- compile / cc
     cc : compile with 2 threads in parallel
     cc : compile of build/obj/arc-context.o required by source:
src/arc-context.cpp
============ cmd ============

but task manager shows it never breaks 50%, with idle always >=50%.
Near as I can tell it is only
ever trying to compile one thing at a time.  Strange, the vast majority
of the dll's are the same (except
possibly different versions).  The newer one has pthreadGC2.dll whereas
the older has libpthread-2.dll.

Some sort of threads is working in this mingw because when I break in
inkscape itself gdb sees multiple threads.

Regards,

David Mathog

Re: btool -j switch?

Jasper van de Gronde
On 15-05-12 18:59, mathog wrote:

> On 14-May-2012 00:33, Jasper van de Gronde wrote:
>

>> Interesting. So you tried both, and in both cases you are unable to
>> get
>> buildtool to compile multiple files in parallel?
>
> No, I only tried the parallel on the most recent one (straight from
> sourceforge).
> Btool seems to think it is doing the right thing:
> but task manager shows it never breaks 50%, with idle always >=50%.
> Near as I can tell it is only
> ever trying to compile one thing at a time.  Strange, the vast majority
> of the dll's are the same (except
> possibly different versions).  The newer one has pthreadGC2.dll whereas
> the older has libpthread-2.dll.
>
> Some sort of threads is working in this mingw because when I break in
> inkscape itself gdb sees multiple threads.

Hmm... I think task manager should be able to tell you how many threads
btool is using. If it is using 2 threads, the process could in principle
be IO bound. Also, you might try increasing the thread count (hyper
threading and such might be playing tricks on you).

Re: btool -j switch?

mathog
On 16-May-2012 00:41, Jasper van de Gronde wrote:

>> Some sort of threads is working in this mingw because when I break
>> in
>> inkscape itself gdb sees multiple threads.
>
> Hmm... I think task manager should be able to tell you how many
> threads
> btool is using. If it is using 2 threads, the process could in
> principle
> be IO bound. Also, you might try increasing the thread count (hyper
> threading and such might be playing tricks on you).

Good idea.  With -j 2 task manager showed btool with 2 threads, -j 3
showed three.
In neither case though did it actually do two compiles at the same
time.

Regards,

David Mathog

First shot at building trunk on Linux, autoconf version issue

mathog
On a newly upgraded 12.04LTS Ubuntu trying to build a freshly
downloaded (via bazaar at around 9:00AM PST
today) copy of trunk.  Autogen.sh seems a bit confused about autoconf.
At one point it checks for >2.52 (which
passes, as it is 2.59) then later it blows up saying it needs 2.62 or
higher.  See log following my
signature (it will wrap, sorry).

Workaround???

David Mathog

./autogen.sh
When you report a trouble about building BZR version of inkscape,
Please report following information about distro and tools version,
too.

--1.
distribution------------------------------------------------------------
Debian GNU/Linux release wheezy/sid

--2.
tools-------------------------------------------------------------------
/usr/bin/m4: m4 (GNU M4) 1.4.16
/usr/local/bin/autoconf: autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.59
/usr/local/bin/autoheader: autoheader (GNU Autoconf) 2.59
/usr/local/bin/automake: Can't locate Automake/Struct.pm in @INC (@INC
contains: /usr/local/share/automake-1.9 /etc/perl
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.14.2 /usr/local/share/perl/5.14.2 /usr/lib/perl5
/usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.14 /usr/share/perl/5.14
/usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/local/bin/automake line 47.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/bin/automake line 47.
automake-1.7: not found
automake-1.8: not found
/usr/local/bin/automake-1.9: Can't locate Automake/Struct.pm in @INC
(@INC contains: /usr/local/share/automake-1.9 /etc/perl
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.14.2 /usr/local/share/perl/5.14.2 /usr/lib/perl5
/usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.14 /usr/share/perl/5.14
/usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/local/bin/automake-1.9 line 47.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/bin/automake-1.9 line
47.
/usr/local/bin/aclocal: Can't locate Automake/Config.pm in @INC (@INC
contains: /usr/local/share/automake-1.9 /etc/perl
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.14.2 /usr/local/share/perl/5.14.2 /usr/lib/perl5
/usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.14 /usr/share/perl/5.14
/usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/local/bin/aclocal line 36.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/bin/aclocal line 36.
aclocal-1.7: not found
aclocal-1.8: not found
/usr/local/bin/aclocal-1.9: Can't locate Automake/Config.pm in @INC
(@INC contains: /usr/local/share/automake-1.9 /etc/perl
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.14.2 /usr/local/share/perl/5.14.2 /usr/lib/perl5
/usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.14 /usr/share/perl/5.14
/usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/local/bin/aclocal-1.9 line 36.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/bin/aclocal-1.9 line
36.
/usr/bin/intltoolize: intltoolize (GNU intltool) 0.50.2
/usr/bin/gettextize: /usr/bin/gettextize (GNU gettext-tools) 0.18.1

--3. environment
variables---------------------------------------------------
LANGUAGE=
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
LANG=en_US.UTF-8

I am testing that you have the required versions of autoconf,
automake, glib-gettextize and intltoolize. This test is not foolproof
and
if anything goes wrong, there may be guidance in the file HACKING.txt

checking for autoconf >= 2.52 ... yes (version 2.59)
checking for automake >= 1.10 ... yes (version 1.11.3)
checking for glib-gettextize >= 2.0.0 ... yes (version 2.32.1)
checking for intltool >= 0.17 ... yes (version 0.50.2)

Running aclocal-1.11 ...
   configure.ac:14: error: Autoconf version 2.62 or higher is required
   /usr/share/aclocal-1.11/init.m4:26: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE is expanded
from...
   configure.ac:14: the top level
   autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 63
   aclocal-1.11: autom4te failed with exit status: 63
Please fix the error conditions and try again.

Re: First shot at building trunk on Linux, autoconf version issue

mathog
Even though it blew up it did create a configure file of size 401738.
Don't know
if it is complete though.  It ends right after the

echo "
Configuration:
   (lots of stuff)
"