Quantcast

website moderation policy final

Brynn
Hi Friends,
        It seems like this last message about moderation policy got buried in
all the recent important chatter.  So I'm re-sending the most vital parts of it,
so we can finish this up.  For convenience, https://inkscape.org/community/coc/
And here's the suggested change:

In the Guidelines for User-Submitted Content section, replace

"Art and other content submitted to the Inkscape website should adhere to the
following rules:"

with

"Content uploaded to the gallery should be related to Inkscape (e.g. created
with Inkscape, created for use with Inkscape, showing how to work with Inkscape,
etc.). We reserve the right to remove any content that does not seem appropriate
or does not adhere to the following obligatory rules:"

C R said
> Little thing, but "created for use with Inkscape" could cover things
like just regular images... in fact it could cover just about
anything, even things made with Adobe Illustrator. I'd simply cut that
bit out.

Hhmm.....yes, I see what you mean.  My interpretation of that, is for things
like extensions or filters.  But maybe there's a better way to say it?

What about "created to be installed in Inkscape"?  Or maybe just "to be
installed in Inkscape"?  That would eliminate any kind of image.  Any other
suggestions out there?  Eduard?

I wonder about adding "Inkscape Project"?  Such as:
"Content uploaded to the gallery should be related to Inkscape or the Inkscape
Project (e.g.  created...."
That would cover things like a website graphics or page mockup, board meeting
transcript, etc.

C R said
> If there's a significant amount of undesirable content currently, it's
probably best to make it retroactive. If it's just a few things, then
we should approach the owners about it. Not to be pushy, but to inform
them of the new policy.

To me, it's a significant amount.  By my estimate, probably 1 or 2 thumbnails
per page of the gallery are random photos!  So that's way too many to consider
trying to contact them.

Personally, I would love to delete them without notice.  But since the policy
was not available at the time they uploaded, technically I think it's not fair
to delete them.  But they'll soon be shuffled further and further back, as the
gallery grows.  I'm happy just to get the policy settled and put it into effect.

Thanks everyone for taking the time, and helping to finalize this issue.  As far
as I know, this will be the last step before we can start recruiting moderators,
and using the system officially.

Re: website moderation policy final

Maren Hachmann
Am 05.05.2017 um 18:04 schrieb brynn:
> Hi Friends,
>        It seems like this last message about moderation policy got
> buried in all the recent important chatter.  So I'm re-sending the most
> vital parts of it, so we can finish this up.  For convenience,
> https://inkscape.org/community/coc/ And here's the suggested change:

- Sorry, yes. Thank you :)

> I wonder about adding "Inkscape Project"?  Such as:
> "Content uploaded to the gallery should be related to Inkscape or the
> Inkscape Project (e.g.  created...."
> That would cover things like a website graphics or page mockup, board
> meeting transcript, etc.

- I think that would express it perfectly. Good idea!

Re: website moderation policy final

Eduard Braun
Am 05.05.2017 um 18:04 schrieb brynn:

> C R said
>> Little thing, but "created for use with Inkscape" could cover things
> like just regular images... in fact it could cover just about
> anything, even things made with Adobe Illustrator. I'd simply cut that
> bit out.
>
> Hhmm.....yes, I see what you mean.  My interpretation of that, is for
> things like extensions or filters.  But maybe there's a better way to
> say it?
>
> What about "created to be installed in Inkscape"?  Or maybe just "to
> be installed in Inkscape"?  That would eliminate any kind of image.
> Any other suggestions out there?  Eduard?

Actually I was thinking about this exact point when initially writing
the replacement text...

On the one hand it obviously *could* be interpreted as "just about
everything" but on the other hand common sense should make quite clear
what it *intends* to say (and in the worst case we still "reserve the
right to remove any content that does not seem appropriate" and can
always use it as a last resort).

I decided not to leave the phrase out for the reasons mentioned by
brynn. I also thought about things like symbol libraries (if they're
made well I'd not require them to be created in Inkscape) and other
high-quality graphic content (that would not necessarily be
"installed"). But it might also include content we do not even have on
our radar right now (i.e. a nifty little tool or shell script that can
be used along with Inkscape but is otherwise unrelated).

I'm still not able to come up with a better phrase, but either way I
think it's always better to have to delete some inappropriate images
than to discourage one motivated user who has something great to
contribute with unnecessarily restrictive wording.

Re: website moderation policy final

Brynn

> I'm still not able to come up with a better phrase, but either way I
think it's always better to have to delete some inappropriate images
than to discourage one motivated user who has something great to
contribute with unnecessarily restrictive wording.

I'm good with that.  I'm good with the concensus :-)

If we find we're still getting random photos or other things because of that one
phrase, we can always change it again later.

>> Little thing, but "created for use with Inkscape" could cover things
> like just regular images... in fact it could cover just about
> anything, even things made with Adobe Illustrator. I'd simply cut that
> bit out.
>
> Hhmm.....yes, I see what you mean.  My interpretation of that, is for things
> like extensions or filters.  But maybe there's a better way to say it?
>
> What about "created to be installed in Inkscape"?  Or maybe just "to be
> installed in Inkscape"?  That would eliminate any kind of image.  Any other
> suggestions out there?  Eduard?

Actually I was thinking about this exact point when initially writing
the replacement text...

On the one hand it obviously *could* be interpreted as "just about
everything" but on the other hand common sense should make quite clear
what it *intends* to say (and in the worst case we still "reserve the
right to remove any content that does not seem appropriate" and can
always use it as a last resort).

I decided not to leave the phrase out for the reasons mentioned by
brynn. I also thought about things like symbol libraries (if they're
made well I'd not require them to be created in Inkscape) and other
high-quality graphic content (that would not necessarily be
"installed"). But it might also include content we do not even have on
our radar right now (i.e. a nifty little tool or shell script that can
be used along with Inkscape but is otherwise unrelated).

I'm still not able to come up with a better phrase, but either way I
think it's always better to have to delete some inappropriate images
than to discourage one motivated user who has something great to
contribute with unnecessarily restrictive wording.

Re: [Inkscape-docs] website moderation policy final / teams?

Hi Friends,
        Since there have been no further comments regarding website moderation
policy, I've made the changes to the CoC that we discussed.

        Most of those who commented about being retroactive, thought since the
policy was not existing at the time, we should not delete images uploaded before
this date (or the members who uploaded them).  (So we can vote those old ones
that I flagged, back in now.)

        I started to put out a call for volunteer moderators (on the To-Do List
page, and also posting in forums and mailing lists) except I wasn't sure about
the wording.  I was going to say something like "Volunteers are needed to join
the Website Team as Moderators."

        But then I realized there's no such thing as a Website Team, and
actually it's a Website Editors team....which I'm not sure if moderators would
be subset of editors...  Hhmm, maybe so?

        Anyway, I seem to recall there was some mention of possibly creating a
Moderation Team.  But before I post something like "Volunteers are needed to
form a/join the Website Moderation Team" maybe we should decide if Moderators
need their own team?

        This might be another subject, but pursuant to all the recent discussion
and movement towards getting the French manual translated, so we can find update
and expand it, I wonder if we need to think about a Documentation Team?

        Since Martin is the website guru, he probably has an idea what would be
best here.  Personally, I can't think of a reason for a formal moderation team.
But there may be one (or more), that make sense, that I just never realized.

        Thoughts, comments?

        It seems like this last message about moderation policy got buried in
all the recent important chatter.  So I'm re-sending the most vital parts of it,
so we can finish this up.  For convenience, https://inkscape.org/community/coc/
And here's the suggested change:

In the Guidelines for User-Submitted Content section, replace

"Art and other content submitted to the Inkscape website should adhere to the
following rules:"

with

"Content uploaded to the gallery should be related to Inkscape (e.g. created
with Inkscape, created for use with Inkscape, showing how to work with Inkscape,
etc.). We reserve the right to remove any content that does not seem appropriate
or does not adhere to the following obligatory rules:"

C R said
> Little thing, but "created for use with Inkscape" could cover things
like just regular images... in fact it could cover just about
anything, even things made with Adobe Illustrator. I'd simply cut that
bit out.

Hhmm.....yes, I see what you mean.  My interpretation of that, is for things
like extensions or filters.  But maybe there's a better way to say it?

What about "created to be installed in Inkscape"?  Or maybe just "to be
installed in Inkscape"?  That would eliminate any kind of image.  Any other
suggestions out there?  Eduard?

I wonder about adding "Inkscape Project"?  Such as:
"Content uploaded to the gallery should be related to Inkscape or the Inkscape
Project (e.g.  created...."
That would cover things like a website graphics or page mockup, board meeting
transcript, etc.

C R said
> If there's a significant amount of undesirable content currently, it's
probably best to make it retroactive. If it's just a few things, then
we should approach the owners about it. Not to be pushy, but to inform
them of the new policy.

To me, it's a significant amount.  By my estimate, probably 1 or 2 thumbnails
per page of the gallery are random photos!  So that's way too many to consider
trying to contact them.

Personally, I would love to delete them without notice.  But since the policy
was not available at the time they uploaded, technically I think it's not fair
to delete them.  But they'll soon be shuffled further and further back, as the
gallery grows.  I'm happy just to get the policy settled and put it into effect.

Thanks everyone for taking the time, and helping to finalize this issue.  As far
as I know, this will be the last step before we can start recruiting moderators,
and using the system officially.

Re: [Inkscape-docs] website moderation policy final / teams?

Maren Hachmann
Hi Brynn,

Am 12.05.2017 um 12:27 schrieb brynn:
> Hi Friends,
>        Since there have been no further comments regarding website
> moderation policy, I've made the changes to the CoC that we discussed.

- It's not published yet, was that intentional or were you waiting for
some confirmation?

>        Most of those who commented about being retroactive, thought
> since the policy was not existing at the time, we should not delete
> images uploaded before this date (or the members who uploaded them).
> (So we can vote those old ones that I flagged, back in now.)

- Done. There are still a couple of images where Martin voted to remove,
but we didn't... those are stuck in the queue.

>        I started to put out a call for volunteer moderators (on the
> To-Do List page, and also posting in forums and mailing lists) except I
> wasn't sure about the wording.  I was going to say something like
> "Volunteers are needed to join the Website Team as Moderators."
>
>        But then I realized there's no such thing as a Website Team, and
> actually it's a Website Editors team....which I'm not sure if moderators
> would be subset of editors...  Hhmm, maybe so?

- I'd say we can make one. Would you like to provide the icon?

>        Anyway, I seem to recall there was some mention of possibly
> creating a Moderation Team.  But before I post something like
> "Volunteers are needed to form a/join the Website Moderation Team" maybe
> we should decide if Moderators need their own team?
>
>        This might be another subject, but pursuant to all the recent
> discussion and movement towards getting the French manual translated, so
> we can find update and expand it, I wonder if we need to think about a
> Documentation Team?

- I think it's not urgent, because communication might happen within the
Booktype website (they have groups and chat). Generally, I believe it
would be a good idea.

>        Since Martin is the website guru, he probably has an idea what
> would be best here.  Personally, I can't think of a reason for a formal
> moderation team. But there may be one (or more), that make sense, that I
> just never realized.

- Permissions ;-)

Maren

> [...]
> trying to contact them.
>
> Personally, I would love to delete them without notice.  But since the
> policy
> was not available at the time they uploaded, technically I think it's
> not fair
> to delete them.  But they'll soon be shuffled further and further back,
> as the
> gallery grows.  I'm happy just to get the policy settled and put it into
> effect.
>
> Thanks everyone for taking the time, and helping to finalize this
> issue.  As far
> as I know, this will be the last step before we can start recruiting
> moderators,
> and using the system officially.
>
> All best,
> brynn

Re: [Inkscape-docs] website moderation policy final / teams?

Martin Owens-2
This should do it:

https://inkscape.org/en/*moderators/

A user can click "Request to join" and brynn can approve them.

Also listed on: https://inkscape.org/en/teams/

Best Regards, Martin Owens

On Fri, 2017-05-12 at 12:57 +0200, Maren Hachmann wrote:

> [...]
> > back,
> > as the
> > gallery grows.  I'm happy just to get the policy settled and put it
> > into
> > effect.
> >
> > Thanks everyone for taking the time, and helping to finalize this
> > issue.  As far
> > as I know, this will be the last step before we can start
> > recruiting
> > moderators,
> > and using the system officially.
> >
> > All best,
> > brynn

Re: [Inkscape-docs] website moderation policy final / teams?

>        Since there have been no further comments regarding website
> moderation policy, I've made the changes to the CoC that we discussed.

- It's not published yet, was that intentional or were you waiting for

There was a weird glitch when I clicked Publish.  It resulted in the little gear
icon spinning around endlessly.  But when I refreshed the page, it showed me
that it had been published.

So yes, I intended to publish.

- I'd say we can make one. Would you like to provide the icon?

Haha, well you've seen my icon-making skills!  Oh, it seems there already is a
Moderation Team!   I'll go and make those posts to try an recruit more
moderators now.

If you have done it already, I'll try again to publish the CoC edit.

>        Since there have been no further comments regarding website
> moderation policy, I've made the changes to the CoC that we discussed.

- It's not published yet, was that intentional or were you waiting for
some confirmation?

>        Most of those who commented about being retroactive, thought
> since the policy was not existing at the time, we should not delete
> images uploaded before this date (or the members who uploaded them).
> (So we can vote those old ones that I flagged, back in now.)

- Done. There are still a couple of images where Martin voted to remove,
but we didn't... those are stuck in the queue.

>        I started to put out a call for volunteer moderators (on the
> To-Do List page, and also posting in forums and mailing lists) except I
> wasn't sure about the wording.  I was going to say something like
> "Volunteers are needed to join the Website Team as Moderators."
>
>        But then I realized there's no such thing as a Website Team, and
> actually it's a Website Editors team....which I'm not sure if moderators
> would be subset of editors...  Hhmm, maybe so?

- I'd say we can make one. Would you like to provide the icon?

>        Anyway, I seem to recall there was some mention of possibly
> creating a Moderation Team.  But before I post something like
> "Volunteers are needed to form a/join the Website Moderation Team" maybe
> we should decide if Moderators need their own team?
>
>        This might be another subject, but pursuant to all the recent
> discussion and movement towards getting the French manual translated, so
> we can find update and expand it, I wonder if we need to think about a
> Documentation Team?

- I think it's not urgent, because communication might happen within the
Booktype website (they have groups and chat). Generally, I believe it
would be a good idea.

>        Since Martin is the website guru, he probably has an idea what
> would be best here.  Personally, I can't think of a reason for a formal
> moderation team. But there may be one (or more), that make sense, that I
> just never realized.

- Permissions ;-)

Maren

> [...]
> trying to contact them.
>
> Personally, I would love to delete them without notice.  But since the
> policy
> was not available at the time they uploaded, technically I think it's
> not fair
> to delete them.  But they'll soon be shuffled further and further back,
> as the
> gallery grows.  I'm happy just to get the policy settled and put it into
> effect.
>
> Thanks everyone for taking the time, and helping to finalize this
> issue.  As far
> as I know, this will be the last step before we can start recruiting
> moderators,
> and using the system officially.
>
> All best,
> brynn

Re: [Inkscape-docs] website moderation policy final / teams?

Hi Maren, Martin,
        I seem to be having some trouble publishing.  The gear icon spins but
nothing else happens.

>        Since there have been no further comments regarding website
> moderation policy, I've made the changes to the CoC that we discussed.

- It's not published yet, was that intentional or were you waiting for
some confirmation?

>        Most of those who commented about being retroactive, thought
> since the policy was not existing at the time, we should not delete
> images uploaded before this date (or the members who uploaded them).
> (So we can vote those old ones that I flagged, back in now.)

- Done. There are still a couple of images where Martin voted to remove,
but we didn't... those are stuck in the queue.

>        I started to put out a call for volunteer moderators (on the
> To-Do List page, and also posting in forums and mailing lists) except I
> wasn't sure about the wording.  I was going to say something like
> "Volunteers are needed to join the Website Team as Moderators."
>
>        But then I realized there's no such thing as a Website Team, and
> actually it's a Website Editors team....which I'm not sure if moderators
> would be subset of editors...  Hhmm, maybe so?

- I'd say we can make one. Would you like to provide the icon?

>        Anyway, I seem to recall there was some mention of possibly
> creating a Moderation Team.  But before I post something like
> "Volunteers are needed to form a/join the Website Moderation Team" maybe
> we should decide if Moderators need their own team?
>
>        This might be another subject, but pursuant to all the recent
> discussion and movement towards getting the French manual translated, so
> we can find update and expand it, I wonder if we need to think about a
> Documentation Team?

- I think it's not urgent, because communication might happen within the
Booktype website (they have groups and chat). Generally, I believe it
would be a good idea.

>        Since Martin is the website guru, he probably has an idea what
> would be best here.  Personally, I can't think of a reason for a formal
> moderation team. But there may be one (or more), that make sense, that I
> just never realized.

- Permissions ;-)

Maren

> [...]
> trying to contact them.
>
> Personally, I would love to delete them without notice.  But since the
> policy
> was not available at the time they uploaded, technically I think it's
> not fair
> to delete them.  But they'll soon be shuffled further and further back,
> as the
> gallery grows.  I'm happy just to get the policy settled and put it into
> effect.
>
> Thanks everyone for taking the time, and helping to finalize this
> issue.  As far
> as I know, this will be the last step before we can start recruiting
> moderators,
> and using the system officially.
>
> All best,
> brynn

Re: [Inkscape-docs] website moderation policy final / teams?

Very cool!