weird installation error

Gregory Norcie
Hi all,

I recently attempted to install Inkscape.

I did not throughly read the documentation, so I ended up installing Inkscape without instaling Xquartz. When the dialog about X11 appeared, I became confused, returned to the website, saw my error, and installed Xquartz.

Now when I click to start Inkscape, nothing happens - no dialog to specify the X11 path, nothing, no icons appear.

I tried uninstalling Inkscape (dragging to trash, emptying trash) then reinstalling, but I still get no UI nor any option to specify where X11 is.

I'm extremely confused on how I can recover from this error state - does anyone have any suggestions?

- Greg

Re: weird installation error

Victor Westmann
Hi Gregory

I am a long time Windows user so am not too sure on how to help you but maybe if you tell us which inkscape version you installed and what MacOS version do you have that could be a good start. :)

Regards,

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018, 2:02 PM Gregory Norcie, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I recently attempted to install Inkscape.

I did not throughly read the documentation, so I ended up installing Inkscape without instaling Xquartz. When the dialog about X11 appeared, I became confused, returned to the website, saw my error, and installed Xquartz.

Now when I click to start Inkscape, nothing happens - no dialog to specify the X11 path, nothing, no icons appear.

I tried uninstalling Inkscape (dragging to trash, emptying trash) then reinstalling, but I still get no UI nor any option to specify where X11 is.

I'm extremely confused on how I can recover from this error state - does anyone have any suggestions?

- Greg

Re: weird installation error

Gregory Norcie
Thanks, good point :)

I'm on macOS 10.13.5 and it's Inkscape 0.91

- Greg

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 5:07 PM, Victor Westmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Gregory,

maybe this FAQ item will help:
https://inkscape.org/en/learn/faq/#inkscape-fails-launch-os-x-108-and-later

Maren

Am 25.06.2018 um 23:07 schrieb Victor Westmann:

> Hi Gregory
>
> I am a long time Windows user so am not too sure on how to help you but
> maybe if you tell us which inkscape version you installed and what MacOS
> version do you have that could be a good start. :)
>
> Regards,
>
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2018, 2:02 PM Gregory Norcie, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I recently attempted to install Inkscape.
>>
>> I did not throughly read the documentation, so I ended up installing
>> Inkscape without instaling Xquartz. When the dialog about X11 appeared, I
>> became confused, returned to the website, saw my error, and installed
>> Xquartz.
>>
>> Now when I click to start Inkscape, nothing happens - no dialog to specify
>> the X11 path, nothing, no icons appear.
>>
>> I tried uninstalling Inkscape (dragging to trash, emptying trash) then
>> reinstalling, but I still get no UI nor any option to specify where X11 is.
>>
>> I'm extremely confused on how I can recover from this error state - does
>> anyone have any suggestions?
>>

>> - Greg

Re: weird installation error

Bev in TX
On macOS, I’ve always had to manually start XQuartz before starting Inkscape.  You can find it in your Applications/Utilities folder.

> On Jun 25, 2018, at 3:37 PM, Gregory Norcie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Now when I click to start Inkscape, nothing happens - no dialog to specify the X11 path, nothing, no icons appear.

Bev in TX

Re: weird installation error

Gregory Norcie
Thanks all for your suggestions

Starting Xquartz didn't seem to help... and it looks like there is no option to allow all apps like the faq mentioned... that definitely seemed like a possible fix :(

(Took a screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/L0Atn7f)

What's really weird is it was going through the "normal" flow the 1st time.

Aside from removing InkScape is there anything else I could wipe? Preferences etc/ places it writes to on install?

If I could get it to do a "clean" install maybe I can get that dialog to specify where X11 is back, and things will go normally...

- Greg

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 5:29 PM, Bev in TX <[hidden email]> wrote:
On macOS, I’ve always had to manually start XQuartz before starting Inkscape.  You can find it in your Applications/Utilities folder.

> On Jun 25, 2018, at 3:37 PM, Gregory Norcie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Now when I click to start Inkscape, nothing happens - no dialog to specify the X11 path, nothing, no icons appear.

Bev in TX

Re: weird installation error

You might want to use 0.92.2 instead, to avoid later struggles with file
scale conversion and to benefit from the (almost) latest updates:

https://inkscape.org/en/release/0.92.2/

 Maren

Am 25.06.2018 um 23:14 schrieb Gregory Norcie:

> Thanks, good point :)
>
> I'm on macOS 10.13.5 and it's Inkscape 0.91
>
> - Greg
>
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 5:07 PM, Victor Westmann <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Gregory
>>
>> I am a long time Windows user so am not too sure on how to help you but
>> maybe if you tell us which inkscape version you installed and what MacOS
>> version do you have that could be a good start. :)
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 25, 2018, 2:02 PM Gregory Norcie, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I recently attempted to install Inkscape.
>>>
>>> I did not throughly read the documentation, so I ended up installing
>>> Inkscape without instaling Xquartz. When the dialog about X11 appeared, I
>>> became confused, returned to the website, saw my error, and installed
>>> Xquartz.
>>>
>>> Now when I click to start Inkscape, nothing happens - no dialog to
>>> specify the X11 path, nothing, no icons appear.
>>>
>>> I tried uninstalling Inkscape (dragging to trash, emptying trash) then
>>> reinstalling, but I still get no UI nor any option to specify where X11 is.
>>>
>>> I'm extremely confused on how I can recover from this error state - does
>>> anyone have any suggestions?
>>>

>>> - Greg

Re: weird installation error

Bev in TX
It’s not clear to me that you have XQuartz correctly installed.  If XQuartz is running properly, you should see it’s menus
        XQuartz Applications Edit Window Help
And, a new XQuartz xterm, should open.

Do you see that when you start XQuartz?

> On Jun 25, 2018, at 4:36 PM, Gregory Norcie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Starting Xquartz didn't seem to help... and it looks like there is no option to allow all apps like the faq mentioned... that definitely seemed like a possible fix :(

Bev in TX

Re: weird installation error

Hi Greg,

To avoid issues on MacOSX, I've pointed people to the curated build by
Valerioa.

https://github.com/valerioa/Inkscape-MacOS-Curated-Build/releases

While not a sanctioned build by Inkscape, it is the most stable and
strait forward for Mac users to use.

Best Regards, Martin Owens

On Mon, 2018-06-25 at 17:14 -0400, Gregory Norcie wrote:

> Thanks, good point :)
>
> I'm on macOS 10.13.5 and it's Inkscape 0.91
>
> - Greg
>
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 5:07 PM, Victor Westmann <victor.westmann@gma
> il.com> wrote:
> > Hi Gregory
> >
> > I am a long time Windows user so am not too sure on how to help you
> > but maybe if you tell us which inkscape version you installed and
> > what MacOS version do you have that could be a good start. :)
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 25, 2018, 2:02 PM Gregory Norcie, <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I recently attempted to install Inkscape.
> > >
> > > I did not throughly read the documentation, so I ended up
> > > installing Inkscape without instaling Xquartz. When the dialog
> > > about X11 appeared, I became confused, returned to the website,
> > > saw my error, and installed Xquartz.
> > >
> > > Now when I click to start Inkscape, nothing happens - no dialog
> > > to specify the X11 path, nothing, no icons appear.
> > >
> > > I tried uninstalling Inkscape (dragging to trash, emptying trash)
> > > then reinstalling, but I still get no UI nor any option to
> > > specify where X11 is.
> > >
> > > I'm extremely confused on how I can recover from this error state
> > > - does anyone have any suggestions?
> > >

> > > - Greg

Re: weird installation error

Gregory Norcie
If I run Xquartz it shows:

Also it looks like I made a typo and I was installing 0.92.2 - I deleted it then re-installed, opened with Xquartz running and I got an inkscape window.

[insert party emoji here :) ]

I think maybe the issue was Xquartz hadn't been manually started first? Anyways, I have an incantation that works so even if I don't fully understand, I'm happy :)

- Greg

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 7:01 PM, Bev in TX <[hidden email]> wrote:
It’s not clear to me that you have XQuartz correctly installed.  If XQuartz is running properly, you should see it’s menus
        XQuartz Applications Edit Window Help
And, a new XQuartz xterm, should open.

Do you see that when you start XQuartz?

> On Jun 25, 2018, at 4:36 PM, Gregory Norcie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Starting Xquartz didn't seem to help... and it looks like there is no option to allow all apps like the faq mentioned... that definitely seemed like a possible fix :(

Bev in TX

Re: weird installation error

Bev in TX
I’m glad that you got it running :-).  Yes, you must always manually start XQuartz before running Inkscape.

One other oddity … when I minimize the Inkscape window, I can only bring it back via the XQuartz Window menu.  Just clicking on it on the Dock does not bring it back.

On Jun 26, 2018, at 12:34 PM, Gregory Norcie <[hidden email]> wrote:

Also it looks like I made a typo and I was installing 0.92.2 - I deleted it then re-installed, opened with Xquartz running and I got an inkscape window.

[insert party emoji here :) ]

I think maybe the issue was Xquartz hadn't been manually started first? Anyways, I have an incantation that works so even if I don't fully understand, I'm happy :)

Did you see Martin Owens’ message about a curated, but not official, version?  I tried installing it and it looks like a native macOS version.  You don’t need to start XQuartz, its menu is on the menubar and minimize works as you would expect, rather than having to use XQuartz.

Bev in TX