y-axis direction and origin

Thomas Holder
Hi all,

I took the liberty and assigned bug 170049 "Inverted ruler co-ordinate
system" to myself. I used the patch from 2010 as a starting point,
fitted it to the current code base and made it user configurable.

It's been a while (7 years) that I last contributed to Inkscape
development. What's the current development process? Do you guys do
code review? How do I submit a pull request to the gitlab repository?
I'm not a project member yet (my username is @speleo3).

Thanks,
  Thomas

Re: y-axis direction and origin

Shlomi Fish
hi,

see https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/gitlab-basics/add-merge-request.html and
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=gitlab+merge+requests&ia=web .

> Thanks,
>   Thomas

Re: y-axis direction and origin

Welcome back Thomas,

We refactored the Roadmap at the hackfest, inverting the y-coords is
now scheduled for Inkscape 1.2 (ish)

http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Roadmap

Any work on it wouldn't be a waste of course, but any fix before then
would have to be vetted for aggressive backwards compatibility and a
light touch on changes to the code to prevent regressions.

Contributing on GitLab is fairly easy. Make a branch or clone and
commit away, make merge requests and discuss them in context on GitLab.

Best Regards, Martin Owens

On Fri, 2018-05-04 at 13:05 +0200, Thomas Holder wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I took the liberty and assigned bug 170049 "Inverted ruler co-
> ordinate
> system" to myself. I used the patch from 2010 as a starting point,
> fitted it to the current code base and made it user configurable.
>
> It's been a while (7 years) that I last contributed to Inkscape
> development. What's the current development process? Do you guys do
> code review? How do I submit a pull request to the gitlab repository?
> I'm not a project member yet (my username is @speleo3).
>
> Thanks,
>   Thomas

Re: y-axis direction and origin

Thomas Holder
Thanks a lot for your comments. I've forked on gitlab and pushed my branch:

https://gitlab.com/speleo3/inkscape/tree/inverty
https://gitlab.com/speleo3/inkscape/commit/ac5d14c3ee337e2c0fcb28ef7c5b19e2993ee8f0

There is a new global preference (Interface > Origin at upper left),
the default is the old behavior (origin at lower left corner). After
changing the preference, it will apply to new opened documents (I
didn't investigate how to update the current document).

I haven't addressed SVG representation of 3D boxes, guides or grids
yet. When creating a new document, they actually behave normal,
including saving and reopening files. Only when opening old files,
those items will be inverted.

It might make sense to make the y-axis origin/direction a document
property instead of a global preference.

Cheers,
  Thomas